Metal School

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
My brain just *woggled* reading all that.

Geoff Tate swinging a knife? John Sykes vamooses?

(DLR vs EVH was utterly predictable, though.)

As for Tony MacAlpine stepping into Syke's spot- what a shredder!- he's rather busy himself: http://www.tonymacalpine.com/news/

I can think of some others who might have been fun: Vernon Reid, David Chastain, Andy Timmons, Reeves Gabrels...

Last edited:

Herschel

Adventurer
Speaking of break-ups, Van Halen has "postponed 33 dates" on their tour. No official word but word on the street is DLR is being a douche and EVH is returning the favor in-kind. Ah, to be young and in love again. Anyone who didn't see this coming, please turn in your leathers and leave the building. DLR may be talented, but he's always been an a******. His ego is the largest piece of equipment on stage. After he left the band the first time, AVH said they, "had to hire an extra semi just to carry it around."

Dave has always had issues with his ego driving people nuts, maybe as much as anyone short of...
The John Sykes/Mike Portnoy project has had a couple of earth shattering news bombs dropped - One the bass player is Billy Sheehan, two, John Sykes is no longer in the group. It appears that Ritchie Kotzen is taking the reigns on guitar for this new power trio. Frankly they should have tried to get either Steve Vai or Tony MacAlpine in my opinion (Joe Satriani is of course busy with Chickenfoot or his name would have been in there too.).

Has there been anyone Sykes has gotten along with for more than a short period of time? I was supposed to see him touring with Thin Lizzy a couple of years ago but Tommy Aldridge broke his collarbone then Sykes got PO'd and quit. Of course when he was in Whitesnake he and Coverdale had to co-exist, which is also something that couldn't end well.

I like Kotzen, but Sheehan and Vai are amazing together. I saw them on DLR's first solo tour with Gregg Bisonette on drums. That was a killer show instrumentally. If Vai would have joined would that mean MacAlpine joins by default to play second guitar and keys? :p

Dave has always had issues with his ego driving people nuts, <SNIP>
Yeah, that's kind of like saying humans breathe oxygen. :)

Has there been anyone Sykes has gotten along with for more than a short period of time? I<SNIP>
That's a good question? The big thing up to this point is that he has (in the past) always been hanging around other people with big egos. Portnoy and Sheehan are about two of the most down to earth folks in the heavy rock biz. So...yeah, it's Sykes.

I like Kotzen, but Sheehan and Vai are amazing together. I saw them on DLR's first solo tour with Gregg Bisonette on drums. That was a killer show instrumentally. If Vai would have joined would that mean MacAlpine joins by default to play second guitar and keys? :p
This is specifically a trio, so no on the four piece, but you're right, Sheehan and Vai do sound good together, they even sound great with Portnoy (they did a project together once, (Sheehan, Portnoy and MacAlpine have too)), however, they have always had a fourth. Ritchie Kotzen makes sense as a replacement, let's face it, he's made his entire career on replacing other guitarists that suddenly left for one reason or another. I have stated in other places that he is basically THE go to guy if you lose your guitarist; mostly because he is a musical chameleon.

Herschel

Adventurer
This is specifically a trio, so no on the four piece, but you're right, Sheehan and Vai do sound good together, they even sound great with Portnoy (they did a project together once, (Sheehan, Portnoy and MacAlpine have too)), however, they have always had a fourth.
Yeah, I just get a weird kick out of Tony playing keys with/for Vai's touring band and second guitar. I mean MacAlpine as a second guitar?

Ritchie Kotzen makes sense as a replacement, let's face it, he's made his entire career on replacing other guitarists that suddenly left for one reason or another. I have stated in other places that he is basically THE go to guy if you lose your guitarist; mostly because he is a musical chameleon.

He and Reb Beach should start a project with Jon Corabi and Kenny Aronoff. :p

Well boys & girls it's official - Queensryche, as we knew it, is done.
Geoff Tate was served with paperwork from the new management company of Queensryche, Inc. - You're Fired!
Evidently, Geoff had several family members in the company; a manager, office assistant and a guitar tech, they have each been fired over the last few weeks and it culminated with Tate's release.

Geoff was surprisingly cavalier about the whole thing in an interview, but when asked about the Queensryche name and property rights he stated, "well, that's for the courts to decide." So while this is finished, it's far from over.

Yet another group bites the dust.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
WOOF!

When showbiz gets ugly, it gets UGLY!

Hmmm...what if GT and DLR swapped frontman gigs?

Or...I wonder if Ian Gillen is interested?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
On the Street of Silent Lucidity, by Qüeensrain

I've seen your face before tonight
Maybe I just see what I want it to be
I know it's a mystery
Do you remember me on a street of dreams
Running through my memory
On the street of dreams

Commanding in another world