Metal School

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Now, for artists who branch off from Rammstein's sound, here's a little list:
<edit>
Static-X (another great band, try out Shadow Zone, their best effort yet, IMO)

GRRRR, youngsters!

If you really want to listen to bands that form the root for bands like Static-X (whom I dearly love), check out Ministry and Prong...ESPECIALLY Prong.

Nyaricus

First Post
Dannyalcatraz said:
GRRRR, youngsters!

If you really want to listen to bands that form the root for bands like Static-X (whom I dearly love), check out Ministry and Prong...ESPECIALLY Prong.
I do hope you aren't thinking that I was implying that Rammstein formed the basis for Static-X's sound. Because I was simply implying what bands have a similar sound to Rammstein.

In any case, new Ministry is not that impressive, but that's all I've heard by them. I hear the older stuff is amazing though.

cheers,
--N

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ah...I misunderstood, then.

As for Ministry- their early stuff is solidly an angry form of New Wave- early hits like "Revenge" were clearly done by a band that owed more to bands like Devo than Black Sabbath.

However, as the band aged, more and more anger and aggression steeped in, until they had essentially become one of the first Industrial Metal bands. "Land of Rape and Honey" sounds more like Killing Joke than Human League. The follow-up "A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste" is a classic Industrial Metal album, as was "Psalm 69." Other stuff has been hit or miss, but Al Jourgenson's classic sound lived on in side projects like Revolting Cocks, Pigface, Lard and others.

Killing Joke and Prong were the other major bands advancing the sound of Industrial Metal at the time. Prong, FWIW, is the band you hear doing the theme song to the original Headbanger's Ball.

Prong's style directly influenced White Zombie's sound- in one of the later seasons, you can see Rob Zombie redesigning the set on air, so its pretty clear he heard a lot of that music on his way up (KJ and Prong were in heavy rotation in the last segment of the show).

After White Zombie, Rob went solo, keeping his own "horrorbilly" sensibility in the Industrial Metal mix.

Meanwhile, Prong's sound was almost directly duped by Static-X. Early SX has a more techno feel than does Prong's work- Wayne Static's samples & loops are more akin to the stuff of New Wave than metal. However, Wayne's samples have gotten progressively harder and darker as the band has developed.

Nyaricus

First Post
Hmmm, seems Nyaricus needs to pick up some Prong *strokes goatee*

TessarrianDM said:
Any opinions on Hammerfall, Rhapsody/Rhapsody of Fire, or Iced Earth?
Of the three, I can say Rhapsody is the one I know. Really fun, cheesy, fast power metal. 'Power of the Dragonflame' and 'Symphony of Enchanted Lands' are, IMO, their best works.

However, anything they have done, Blind Guardian has done better, and with less cheese ;) JMHO, of course.

cheers,
--N

Moulin Rogue

First Post
TessarrianDM said:
Any opinions on Hammerfall, Rhapsody/Rhapsody of Fire, or Iced Earth?

Get the first two or three Rhapsody discs, they kinda start to go downhill after that. For some reason they stopped using authentic medieval-ish instruments and started using digital samples for them instead. You can tell, unfortunately. And I was really disappointed when they finished the last concept album cycle, they simply started a new rehashed one, really playing it safe.

HammerFall, well their first disc (Glory To The Brave, 1997) is a classic and I don't think they ever topped it from anything I've heard. I'd get that first disc with the knowledge that all further albums are just attempts at more of the same.

Iced Earth is the most consistently good of the three bands you named, and that's while trying different things over the years too. I've heard them described as "what Metallica would sound like if they hadn't changed in the '90s" :) You really can't go wrong with any of their '90s discs. "Alive In Athens" belongs in the pantheon of the all-time classic live metal recordings.

MrFilthyIke

First Post
Moulin Rogue said:
I've heard them described as "what Metallica would sound like if they hadn't changed in the '90s" :)

As far as I'm concerned, Metallica recorded And Justice For All then died in a tragic plane wreck. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

warlord

First Post
What's My Chemical Romance doing in this thread? They're emo/pop rock. Sure some of their earlier stuff bordered on some gothic emo fusion thing but they were never metal.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases