Metal School

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Artists with a Hard Rock/Metal past

One of the weird things about hard rock and metal is how many people give it a try and find success in another musical genre. Some of the ones I know about are:

Billy Joel: founding member of short lived hard rock band, Attila

Vangelis: His family's band, Aphrodite's Child, was a classic example of prog-rock. Best example is the concept double album "666"

Michael Bolton: His band, Blackjack, once toured with Ozzy. He has written a hit song for KISS.

warlord said:
What's My Chemical Romance doing in this thread? They're emo/pop rock. Sure some of their earlier stuff bordered on some gothic emo fusion thing but they were never metal.
Because of the influence of punk and proto-punk on emo... Any heavy music can be linked to hard rock and heavy metal and for our purposes here, those links should be recognized. Green Day is considered punk by the industry, I consider them crap; see, opinions vary. :)

D.Shaffer

First Post
...Not sure if this deserved its own thread, but considering the subject...

(From Metalocalypse) Dethklok's album Dethalbum is coming out Sept 25.
Is there a category for 'Parody Metal?' :)

And who started the entire 'Barbarian Warrior' theme you see in Metal so often, anyways?

Ferret

Explorer
Thunderfoot said:
Because of the influence of punk and proto-punk on emo... Any heavy music can be linked to hard rock and heavy metal and for our purposes here, those links should be recognized. Green Day is considered punk by the industry, I consider them crap; see, opinions vary. :)

Greenday used to be cool, I dunno what happened to them.... :\

Ferret said:
Greenday used to be cool, I dunno what happened to them.... :\
Me either * sell out - koff * but it's a shame * corporate shill - koff* they used to be edgy *Hollywood hippsters - koff koff* but now, they're just crappy *Left wing activists like Barbara Streisand - koff koff*... ;)

Ferret said:
And the same for megadeth, I was disappointed by their new album. :\
I haven't heard it yet (please don't take away my metal license) but I had a feeling that something was up when I saw them advertised alongside Hillary Duff and Tim McGraw on a Wal-Mart commercial. :confused:

Nyaricus

First Post
D.Shaffer said:
And who started the entire 'Barbarian Warrior' theme you see in Metal so often, anyways?
I know Manowar have been doing it since the early 80s, so that might be it.

That said, men in loincloths is the worst fashion statement to come out of metal, and I mean, look at black metal:
1298.jpg

:p

cheers,
--N

Ferret

Explorer
Thunderfoot said:
I haven't heard it yet (please don't take away my metal license) but I had a feeling that something was up when I saw them advertised alongside Hillary Duff and Tim McGraw on a Wal-Mart commercial. :confused:

I've only just got it end of last month. I wouldn't recommend getting it. :\

*is going to look for some TMV and Anthrax next*

Fenris

Adventurer
I recnelty got turned onto a punk band out of Boston, The Dropkick Murphy's, and I have been enjoying them quite a bit. It's funny, but punk (or some punk) to me is more rock and roll than well, a lot of the newer hard rock and metal bands out there. One of the DKM's songs completely reminded me of Anthrax back in the 80's. The songs are full of meaning and political and societal commentary, along with being just great hard music.

That being said I had a thought he other day in the car. OK metal heads: If you had to pick one song, ONE song, that was the anthem for metal. The one song that among the many guises metal has had over the years, the one song the to you displays the elements of what metal should be or was or will be. The song that you would play if someone asks what metal is. What is that song to you?

For me, I think it has to be One by Metallica. It is just the quintessential metal song for me.

What's yours?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases