The Wyrwood Monastery

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
History: 600 years ago, a noble elven family fell from grace. The nobles had been known for two things: their wisdom and their inherited blindness, but inbreeding and politics tore the family apart. The last heir, reduced to a blind beggar, left the city of his birth to find enlightenment. He traveled east, into the massive Silverwood, where he used his skills of scent and taste to forage fruit and roots. As a shelter, he used a large natural hollow made of soft but sturdy material. Unbeknownst to him, his shelter was actually part of a huge fungus, with many caps, hollows, and a vast network of roots that spread for miles around. In the forest, the elf used his innate wisdom and lack of sight to his advantage, focusing on non-visual senses and physical prowess. He trained his body and mind in methods not unlike those of the monastic monks, though he was not held back or helped by tradition and his blindness guided him to focus on different skills.

During his time in the forest, the blind elf planted many trees and fed animals. His quiet deeds and intense dedication attracted a small, young circle of druids. The druids made contact, and a friendship was formed.

After a century of seclusion, the elf decided to return to the cities and find individuals like him: blind in the eyes but keen of mind and body. It took him decades, but he found two candidates, an elf and a human. The three returned to the elf's mushroom home and honed their skills together. The human had been a musician in the city, and he brought his string instrument with him to the forest. United, the three could spend less time on survival and more time on study and practice. The human taught the others to play music, and the druids offered them wood from one of their trees to make new instruments. After a few decades, the human became restless and felt the need to spread their teachings before he passed on. He returned, like the first elf before him, to the cities to find promising blind candidates. Again he found two, and three became five. The size of the group grew as the decades passed, as did their skills and methods. The druid circle also grew more powerful. The sundering of the Silverwood barely affected the region in which the mushroom and the blind ones live.

Today, the local humans call the ancient forest the Wyrwood, in part because of the mystical, ghostly protection it seems to have. The blind trio has grown into a sizable school of martial, musical, and philosophical training. They now call the giant mushroom in which they live "the Wyrwood Monastery", and they are known for their heightened senses, musical prowess, and physical form. The druids and the monks are still friendly. The druids have given the monks a magical goodberry tree, which provides the monks with most of their sustenance, and yearly the druids supply a single tree to the monks for crafting into instruments in return for the planting of new trees throughout the Wyrwood.

Membership: All Wyrwood Monks are called "Brother", regardless of gender. The monastic order currently has 28 brothers of both genders and several races. Every brother wears a dyed leather blindfold, of any color, across his useless eyes. The vast majority of brothers have been blind, most from birth, but a few rare exceptions have worn blindfolds for years at a time to become voluntarily blind. No such monks exist today. Of the original three founders, only the second elf remains. He is now Grandmaester Vagrant, abbot of the Wyrwood Brothers.

The Monastery: The Wyrwood Monastery fungus complex has countless hollows which serve as rooms. Living quarters are mostly above ground, in hollows with many perforations for light and ease of breathing. There is one large teaching room, located above ground, completely covered by a humongous cap. It has a large, gaping entrance to the outside and entrances to several subterranean tunnels leading to other rooms. Certain areas are accessible only by smaller monks, like gnomes, due to the narrow tunnels leading to them. Only a few of the rooms are in recent use by the current monks. Recruitment has been dry for many years, the attitude of the world has changed since the founding of the Monastery, and the resident monks no longer need as many rooms as they did centuries ago. No current Wyrwood monk knows the entire layout of the Monastery, not even Grandmaester Vagrant.

Wyrwood Oak: The liveoaks of the Wyrwood are incredibly ancient, but they have recently been under the close watch of a druidic circle. Wyrwood Oaks, having spent centuries practically saturated in druidic magic, now have special properties unlike the trees of any other forest. When a great oak's life comes to an end, the druids cut down the tree and use its supple wood for many purposes. One in particular is the construction of instruments. Wyrwood Oak is magnificent for resonating rich tones, and Wyrwood instruments are coveted for their unique sound. A musical instrument made out of Wyrwood Oak from a tree felled by druids grants its user a +1 alchemical bonus on all Perform checks made with that instrument.

Brother of the Wyrwood Order
A blind order of monks dedicated to improving their senses and their bodies, brothers of the Wyrwood Order learn to react almost instantaneously to events, sometimes even before they seem to happen. They can hear impossibly quiet sounds and detect movement just by changes in the air. Their dexterous hands are equally adept at combat and music. A brother of the Wyrwood Order has trained his movements and focused his senses to near perfection.
Hit Die: d8

Requirements
To qualify to become a Brother of the Wyrwood Order, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
*Skills: 6 ranks in Perform and Listen, and 6 ranks in any 1 of the following: Balance, Escape Artist, Hide, Move Silently, Tumble.
*Feats: Blind-Fight, Improved Unarmed Strike, and Skill Focus in any 1 of the skills listed above.
*Special: Must be blind-born or be blinded by some other cause (blindfold, magic, injury, etc.) perpetually for at least 1 year.

Class Skills
The Brother of Form’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Code:
[B]Level   BAB     Fort    Ref   Will             Special[/B]
1       +0       +0     +2     +2              Enhanced Perception, Monk Progression
2       +1       +0     +3     +3              Sonorous Sensation, Woodland Stride
3       +2       +1     +3     +3              Hyper Awareness
4       +3       +1     +4     +4              Music in the Grain
5       +3       +1     +4     +4              Sighted

Class Features
All of the following are features of the Brother of the Wyrwood Order prestige class.

Enhanced Perception (Ex): Using nonvisual senses, such as acute smell and hearing, the brother gains blindsense out to 30’. No Spot or Listen checks are required to pinpoint the location of a creature within range of his blindsense ability, provided that he has line of effect to that creature. Any opponent the brother cannot see still has total concealment against the brother, and he still has the normal miss chance when attacking foes that have concealment. Visibility still affects his movements. He is still denied his Dexterity bonus to Armor Class against attacks from creatures he cannot see.
Special: Blind-born brothers' blindsense range increases by 30'.

Monk Progression (Ex): A brother's class levels stack with his monk levels for the purpose of determining his unarmed damage, flurry of blows, bonuses to Armor Class, and unarmored speed. His class levels do not apply to other monk abilities such as slow fall. If the brother has no monk levels, he gains these abilities as a first level monk does and advances them.

Sonorous Sensation (Su): Denied sight, brothers meditate and focus their inner energy on non-visual senses, especially hearing. The brother's ears, now his primary source of sensation, have been honed with supernatural energy and improved dramatically. Not only can he hear more clearly, he can avoid some types of sonic damage. He gains a +5 bonus to any fortitude save to resist being deafened. If a brother makes a successful saving throw against a sonic attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Also, he gains a +2 competency bonus to his Listen and Perform skills.
The benefits of this ability are temporarily lost while the brother is deafened.

Woodland Stride (Ex): Thanks to his constant connection with nature, a brother may move through any sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain) at his normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that have been magically manipulated to impede motion still affect him.

Hyper Awareness (Ex): The brother is so aware of his surroundings that he can sometimes predict attacks before they come. He gains a +1 insight bonus to his AC, even when flatfooted. He gains blindsight out to 5'. He maneuvers and fights as well as a sighted creature within his blindsight’s effect. Invisibility, darkness, and most kinds of concealment are irrelevant, though he must have line of effect to a creature or object to discern that creature or object.
Additionally, the brother gains the Deflect Arrows feat with the notable exception that he can deflect the projectile weapon even if he is unaware of the attack or is flatfooted. He makes a Listen or Spot check (whichever has the highest bonus) opposed by the attack roll of the attacker. If he succeeds, he can deflect the ranged attack as if he was aware of it and was not flatfooted (though he is still flatfooted for all other purposes). This ability is usable only once per round, along with the Deflect Arrows feat. Attempting to detect a ranged weapon doesn’t count as an action, not even a free action. The brother must have at least one hand free (holding nothing) to use this Discipline, as per the Deflect Arrows feat.
The benefits of this ability are temporarily lost while the brother is deafened.

Music in the Grain (Su): The brother's ear for music has become truly magical. His +2 competence bonus to Perform increases to +5. He gains a +5 competence bonus to his Craft (Musical Instrument) skill, and any musical instrument he crafts grants its user a +1 bonus to Perform checks made with that instrument. He can use the Bardic Music fascinate ability twice per day.

Sighted (Ex): By further improving his nonvisual senses, the brother's blindsight range increases by 25' and his insight bonus to AC increases to +2. Also, by sensing vibrations in the ground made by his feet, the brother can now move and even run at his full move speed without penalty. Finally, he can use his improved Deflect Arrows ability an infinite number of times per round.
The Deflect Arrows feature granted by this ability is temporarily lost while the brother is deafened.
The blindsight range granted by this ability is reduced to 5' while the brother is deafened.

Multi-Classing: Monks who take this prestige class may continue in their original class’s progression without penalty. Paladins who take this prestige class can remain faithful to their god and retain all paladin abilities, but can no longer gain any levels in the paladin class.

Brothers with Sight: A brother who is no longer permanently blind cannot gain levels as a Brother of the Wyrwood Order and loses all class features except Monk Progression. This effect is instantaneous. When a brother gains his sight for any reason, he is extremely sensitive to light after being blind for so long: He gains light blindness, as the Drow racial trait, for one week. A seeing ex-brother may voluntarily blind himself (with a blindfold or otherwise) for at least a week to regain his abilities and continue gaining levels as a Brother of the Wyrwood Order.

Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Notes on the PrC:
This started as the Disciple of Form, it is now barely recognizable. I changed to focus from dexterity to overcoming blindness and music. I told you it was a major revamp!

The requirements are different, less stringent. You don't have to be a monk, though that makes things slightly easier. I removed the lawful requirement, because bards (the music class!) are chaotic. Added the Perform skill req. Lowered the rank req to 6 ranks, this PrC will now be available to at level 4.

The Monk Progression ability now includes the flurry of blows. Whether it should be included is debatable, but I found at least one example of PrC that includes it in the Monk Progression.

The AC bonus in Hyper Awareness, arguably, could go.

I considered substituting some abilities for some druidic elements, considering the monastery's connection to the forest and druids. That's still a possibility.

Other Notes:
I've wanted to play a blind character for a very long time, at least since I submitted the blind-from-birth template. The problem is, such a character is practically impossible to play (and I knew that, even before I worked out the template). The previous incarnations of my PrC were meant to be usable by the general public but with the possibility of making a blind character playable. During my perusal of the geography thread, I came to have a different perspective on Prestige Classes, and this is a reflection of that.

With this PrC, I hope to make the blind monk a viable and even advantageous option in some, possibly rare, situations. I also would like to develop the Wyrwood area (the southern part of the Silverwood, the tip of which is Patlin's Faerie Woods) and run an adventure there, possibly an adventure series, maybe even in conjunction with Patlin, if he's got some ideas for the region already.

Rystil Arden

First Post
I like the flavour.

Entry level is most certainly too low--as you note, you can qualify at 3 and take this at 4. Most PrCs can be first taken somewhere between levels 6 and 8, which is about right, in my opinion. 5 is pushing it. 4 is too low--you barely have any time in your base class before moving off to the PrC.

If the PrC is meant to try to power up to balance being blind (a worthy goal, and a much cooler way to do it than making a hyper-powered Blind-from-Birth template--making a PrC with Blind as a prereq is an awesome way to go!), then the fact that non-blind characters can wear a blindfold, take the PrC up to level 5, and then take off their blindfold and be not-blind with impunity is super-lame. In fact, characters who don't take off their blindfold are being punished for it, as they have all the penalties of being blind and the same bonuses as the non-blind guy. Consider removing all class abilities from "Seeing Brothers" except the stacking with monk levels for monk stuff.

orsal

LEW Judge
I like the idea. I've always been uncomfortable with the "one-size-fits-all" monk class, thinking they should be more tailored to traditions associated with their specific monastery. I'm going to need some time to take a closer look at the crunch, balance-wise. In the meantime, one point that leapt out at me:

Rae ArdGaoth said:
Special: Must be blind-from-birth or be voluntarily blindfolded perpetually for at least 6 months.

So a character who was born sighted but has lost vision can't take this class, although one with perfectly fine vision can so long as he voluntarily agrees to function blind for a limited period can? This doesn't make sense to me. Is it what you intended? If so, why?

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Ah, good catch both of you. My purpose was not to exclude non-blind characters. I also think it's cool if somebody has such dedication to an idea. But you're absolutely right, they should lose all benefits if they become seeing. One possible side-effect is that removing a Brother's blindfold and curing his blindness is a bit of an Achille's heel. But as long as they don't lose the monk progression, it shouldn't be something to worry about.

As for the requirement, what I meant to say was that a character must be blind, by any means, for 6 months. I actually think that might need to change, to maybe a year or two. The idea is that they're living in utter sightlessness for their entire life, and focusing constantly on their other senses, no longer being distracted by their eyes. So I'll change it, thanks for pointing out the discrepancy RA.

EDIT: Alright, I changed the req to "at least 1 year of blindness by any means" and I changed the end to "if seeing, then loses all abilities except Monk Progression. 1 week of blindness by any means to regain abilities and continue gaining levels."

I could be persuaded that the 1 week needs to become longer, but here's my thinking: 1st) I don't want a character to become totally useless and (practically permanently, at least for an adventure) lose basically 5 levels because of a L2 spell and a disarm attack. 2nd) It makes sense that the character would be more used to blindness than sight, so I think a short adaptation time is reasonable.

Maybe it could be a variable, something like "A brother must become blind again for an equal amount of time as he has been seeing in order to regain the benefits of the class." That way, it would punish voluntary sight more than involuntary sight.

On second thought, I don't like that at all, because then non-blind characters could just lift the blind fold for a few rounds, be totally blind for a few rounds, and then be fine. Maybe I should just say, "blind-from-birth and permanent blindness only".

OTHER COMMENTS:
As for the level, I made it 4 because before L4, a blind character is... well, unplayable. Even with this class, it's tough until the L3 ability starts compensating for the blindness.

I'm considering adding a "Woodland Stride" ability to L2, to add that druidic element without making the class overpowered.

And finally, I think increasing the insight AC bonus to +2 at L5 would not be out of line.

One thing to consider when balancing this class, obviously, is all the penalties that a blind character must overcome in order to be an effective combatant and valuable adventurer. Though the blind-from-birth template does offer some very minor buffs, it's not significant at all, and the really valuable buffs require the character to take feats. Also, blind-fight is a throw-away feat, since this character gains blindsight.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Also, it is reasonable to consider that blind-from-birth people won't be able to see correctly even after having vision restored--we have evidence based on the ways the neurons work that people who have blindness cured too late in life will never be able to see normally. This clause would protect at least the blind-from-birth folks from Remove Blindness.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
The blind-from-birth template specifies that a bfb can be cured by magic. I also believe that magic doesn't necessarily follow the laws of science. Otherwise, how could clerics go around healing the sick and curing the blind? =P

Rystil Arden

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
The blind-from-birth template specifies that a bfb can be cured by magic. I also believe that magic doesn't necessarily follow the laws of science. Otherwise, how could clerics go around healing the sick and curing the blind? =P
Science can do those things, sometimes. Interestingly, Indian children who are born with cataracts can be taught to see normal when the cataracts are removed because apparently extremely gross quantities of light can filter through the cataracts in some sense, and that's enough to trigger those neurons to the point that the children can see normally after a short time. It's fascinating research, actually.

Knight Otu

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
I thought it said that it needs to be pretty powerful magic, didn't it? I seem to recall at least that it said that healing magic doesn't usually remove the blind-from-birth template, as that isn't a normal, healthful state for the creature.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Good call KO. The file I have on my computer is outdated. So bfb can't be easily healed, which makes the Wyrwood Brother's "Achille's Heel" nonexistant. I'm glad you pointed that out, because I've been basing all my references to the "blind-from-birth" template, when actually, it's now called the "blind-born" template. I guess I should've remembered that. I'll go through and fix all those references now.

UPDATE: Okay, I fixed all the references to the blind-born template. I also added the "Deafening makes this ability useless" clause to most abilities. That makes deafening attacks pretty powerful against the brother, but he gets an additional +5 to resist them. That makes up for the loss of Fort save by taking this class, but only when applied against deafening attacks.

I also added the +2 AC bonus to Sighted and the Woodland Stride ability at L2. I don't think that makes the PrC overpowered at all. I figure I'll get more of a reaction if I just throw them in there. =P

Last edited:

Remove ads