HackMaster: The New Edition

Jolly_Blackburn

First Post
Damn, Mark. How you holding up on hitpoints...? ;)

Always good to see a lively debate on HackMaster.

My stance -- diversity is a wonderful thing.

The only thing a game needs to justify its existence is a an audience.

And HackMaster certainly has that. So it's all good.

I know Mark ships a lot of HM product each week and the demand for new product keeps us humping.

Fortunately there's a system out there for every different taste.

So Game on!!

So game on!!

Ron

Explorer
Kenzer guys,

If you ever do a fifth edition, or at least want to attract some new players to the current edition, make it an easier game to get in. First time I examine it at my FLGS I found Hackmaster to be hilarious. I considered buying it, but a game that needs a PHB, a DMG, and eight Monster Manuals is simply too big and costly. A condensed monster manual would help and a resumed single edition volume (Hackmaster Rules Cyclopedia) would be even better.

Reynard

Legend
Mark Plemmons said:
That's this June, by the way... :) The Aces & Eights: Shattered Frontier RPG link is HERE. (I'd be happy to discuss it in a different thread, if anyone has questions.)

But what about SpaceHack? I want my kenzerized Star Frontiers goodness, dammit!

Delta

First Post
Mark Plemmons said:
Yes, I don't think it's any secret at this point. All HackMaster products based on old TSR products and approved by WotC are required to have a certain level of goofy humor.

Mark, thanks for the clarification. I hadn't known that before. <Tips cap>

scourger

Explorer
Since this thread has caught the eye of a couple of Kenzer dudes, I'll post. I could go for a Basic HackMaster or even a HackMaster Rules Cyclopedia, as a couple of posters have mentioned above. Something simpler but still fun. For inspiration, look to Jonathon Tweet's Omega World or Shane Hensley's Savage Worlds. That's my two cents.

Jolly_Blackburn

First Post
scourger said:
Since this thread has caught the eye of a couple of Kenzer dudes, I'll post. I could go for a Basic HackMaster or even a HackMaster Rules Cyclopedia, as a couple of posters have mentioned above. Something simpler but still fun. For inspiration, look to Jonathon Tweet's Omega World or Shane Hensley's Savage Worlds. That's my two cents.

Good ideas. We've talked about doing a HM Lite edition. No official plans (yet) but something we've definitely been keepin notes on.

I will point out that A&8 can be as complex as the players/GM want it to be.

There are basic rules and then a LOT of advanced rules that are optional.

Sort of a programmed instruction approach -- players pick the advanced rules they want to use and add them to the game as they master the rules.

I like this approach. A new edtion of HM would proably use a similar path.

Basic and Advanced all rolled into one book. Want to use just the basic rules. Go for it.

Want more crunch? Heap it on according to your own taste/playing style.

Ron

Explorer
Jolly_Blackburn said:
Good ideas. We've talked about doing a HM Lite edition. No official plans (yet) but something we've definitely been keepin notes on.

I will point out that A&8 can be as complex as the players/GM want it to be.

There are basic rules and then a LOT of advanced rules that are optional.

Sort of a programmed instruction approach -- players pick the advanced rules they want to use and add them to the game as they master the rules.

I like this approach. A new edtion of HM would proably use a similar path.

Basic and Advanced all rolled into one book. Want to use just the basic rules. Go for it.

Want more crunch? Heap it on according to your own taste/playing style.

When I suggested the Hackmaster Rules Cyclopedia I was not complaining about the amount of crunch in the current edition -- the crunchy stuff is usually fun to read. I was complaining the fact that, having ten core books, the current edition is not accessible to casual players or even to those that are reading for the fun. A single volume edition would cover those players and also provide a easier entry option to the game.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases