HackMaster: The New Edition

mhensley

First Post
I wanted to love HM, but the overwhelming complexity of the system and the ridiculous number of monster manuals required to run the base game ruined it for me. I love the writing and attitude of the rulebooks though. If they would have just came out with a Basic HM boxed set, I would probably still be playing it. :\

The Lost Muse

First Post
mhensley said:
I wanted to love HM, but the overwhelming complexity of the system and the ridiculous number of monster manuals required to run the base game ruined it for me. I love the writing and attitude of the rulebooks though. If they would have just came out with a Basic HM boxed set, I would probably still be playing it. :\

QFT

Delta

First Post
Mark Plemmons said:
Ah, HackMaster. Seems to inspire love or hate in gamers everywhere. :) Still, there are a few ideas in this thread I couldn't help responding to.

Mark -- Legally, does Kenzer have the option of printing a non-parody-themed version of Hackmaster? Someone further up claimed it was a licensing requirement.

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
Delta said:
Mark -- Legally, does Kenzer have the option of printing a non-parody-themed version of Hackmaster? Someone further up claimed it was a licensing requirement.

Yes, I don't think it's any secret at this point. All HackMaster products based on old TSR products and approved by WotC are required to have a certain level of goofy humor.

With original products, like those below, we can do what we like:

Adventurer's Guide to Pixie Fairies
Dead Gawd's Hand
Hungry Undead
Sometimes They Come Back
Temple of the Bronze Flame
World of Aldrazar
and others...

Regardless, you're going to see plenty of new HackMaster products in the future. Even in the PHB and GMG, there's tons of new material that make it much more than just a rehashing of AD&D.

jrients

First Post
Here's what I would want out of a '5th' edition:

1) A Basic Book, 64 or 128 pages softbound, modeled off of Moldvay's basic rules.

2) Real mechanical support for GM vs. party play that sets boundaries that a GM cannot cross. (See Rune and World of Synnibarr for examples.)

Kafkonia

First Post
Mark Plemmons said:
Yes, I don't think it's any secret at this point. All HackMaster products based on old TSR products and approved by WotC are required to have a certain level of goofy humor.

Mark, will we be seeing more Hacked products in the future? Or will you be focussing solely on original adventures now?

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
Wraith101 said:
A new version of HackMaster will be a long way away. They were working on Aces and Eights for the last couple of years and that is finally due out soon.

That's this June, by the way... :) The Aces & Eights: Shattered Frontier RPG link is HERE. (I'd be happy to discuss it in a different thread, if anyone has questions.)

Remove ads