HackMaster: The New Edition

No, no, what you need to do is to get Grunge Warriors written up. Futurepunk wizards on tour. Gives "rock gods" a whole new meaning.

Not that this requires a whole product line - you could even do an eight-or-so page article in KoDT and I'd be happy.

Falstaff

First Post
Jolly_Blackburn said:
Good ideas. We've talked about doing a HM Lite edition. No official plans (yet) but something we've definitely been keepin notes on.

I will point out that A&8 can be as complex as the players/GM want it to be.

There are basic rules and then a LOT of advanced rules that are optional.

Sort of a programmed instruction approach -- players pick the advanced rules they want to use and add them to the game as they master the rules.

I like this approach. A new edtion of HM would proably use a similar path.

Basic and Advanced all rolled into one book. Want to use just the basic rules. Go for it.

Want more crunch? Heap it on according to your own taste/playing style.

I agree Jolly - this approach is very nice. One of my favorite RPGs (HarnMaster) does just that.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
For Jolly, Mark, and any of the other members of the HackMaster design team - I was curious as to how often you play the game? I know you have been focused on A&8's for quite a while, but I was wondering what you've been doing with HM lately? That is, are there any house rules, refinements, tweaks, or tips that you've found to be valuable? Further, are any of those things (if there are any) elements you might include in a future revision of the game?

On top of all that, is there anything you'd still like to do for HackMaster? I'm thinking mostly of adventures here, but I've also pined for the "B.A. Felton Campaign Notebook" (or whatever it was called) that Jolly was doing and decided to stop working on lo these many years ago. Are there any adventure concepts you feel are quintessentially HackMaster in nature that you'd like to get into print? I know most of the "hacked" modules from AD&D kinda covered that territory. but I keep feeling that HackMaster needs its own landmark super-adventure.

Jolly_Blackburn

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
For Jolly, Mark, and any of the other members of the HackMaster design team - I was curious as to how often you play the game?

Every week. We alteranate. Thursday one week -- Saturday the following week. Dave Kenzer is currently running us through a massive module he's working on. (Don't ask me when you can expect to see it). He's been slapping us around pretty good. ;)

ColonelHardisson said:
I know you have been focused on A&8's for quite a while, but I was wondering what you've been doing with HM lately? That is, are there any house rules, refinements, tweaks, or tips that you've found to be valuable? Further, are any of those things (if there are any) elements you might include in a future revision of the game?
A big YES to all of the above. Things are sort of hush hush at the moment but we'll share details as D.K. permits. ;)

ColonelHardisson said:
On top of all that, is there anything you'd still like to do for HackMaster? I'm thinking mostly of adventures here, but I've also pined for the "B.A. Felton Campaign Notebook" (or whatever it was called) that Jolly was doing and decided to stop working on lo these many years ago. Are there any adventure concepts you feel are quintessentially HackMaster in nature that you'd like to get into print? I know most of the "hacked" modules from AD&D kinda covered that territory. but I keep feeling that HackMaster needs its own landmark super-adventure.

I'd hope to revive B.A.'s Campaign Notebook at some point. I killed the idea a few years ago because after working on it for a few months I didn't feel inspired and didn't want to just crank out a product to meet a deadline. At least not something I'd feel comfortable having my name on.

It's been three years and I've been taking careful notes and have had some time to think about it/gather ideas. Defintiely something I want to revisit. But no official announcement I'm afraid. We have big plans for HM.

I know personally I'd like to do another module/mini-campaign setting on the same scale as Little Keep. Perhaps even bigger.

This is the object of my desire currently.

Temple%20of%20Horrendous%20Doom%20_2.jpg

;) It's insanely large. And that's just what's visible on the surface. Still bouncing around ideas but since you asked -- yeah, I'd love talk the guys into tackling it with me.

Jolly_Blackburn

First Post
Falstaff said:
I agree Jolly - this approach is very nice. One of my favorite RPGs (HarnMaster) does just that.

I've heard great things about HarnMaster. Never had a chance to look at it or play it myself.
Although I did own one of the gorgeous map sets years ago and spent hours drooling over it.

Jolly_Blackburn

First Post
Savage Wombat said:
No, no, what you need to do is to get Grunge Warriors written up. Futurepunk wizards on tour. Gives "rock gods" a whole new meaning.

Not that this requires a whole product line - you could even do an eight-or-so page article in KoDT and I'd be happy.

I hope to do another story arc on Grunge Warriors someday. Game would be something fun to tackle too. If only there were time. :)

Glad someone remembers that one.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Jolly_Blackburn said:
I'd hope to revive B.A.'s Campaign Notebook at some point. I killed the idea a few years ago because after working on it for a few months I didn't feel inspired and didn't want to just crank out a product to meet a deadline. At least not something I'd feel comfortable having my name on.

It's been three years and I've been taking careful notes and have had some time to think about it/gather ideas. Defintiely something I want to revisit. But no official announcement I'm afraid. We have big plans for HM.

I can understand not wanting to just crank out anything to fill a schedule slot. Personally, I envisioned the Campaign Guide as containing info on running the campaign (or series of campaigns, really) B.A. has been running in KoDT, especially since HM was released. That is, I figured the Guide would contain all the changes wrought upon Aldrazar by the Knights, such as the pit bull onslaught which apparently laid waste quite a bit of territory. Plus, it'd be cool to have seen stats for the classic Knights line-up, perhaps at different levels. I'd also like to have seen notes on how and where each of the "hacked" modules fit into Aldrazar.

Jolly_Blackburn said:
I know personally I'd like to do another module/mini-campaign setting on the same scale as Little Keep. Perhaps even bigger.

Well, y'know, I was hoping to see a "hacked" version of S3, Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, or perhaps an all-new, original "starship dungeon" HM module.

Jolly_Blackburn said:
This is the object of my desire currently.

;) It's insanely large. And that's just what's visible on the surface. Still bouncing around ideas but since you asked -- yeah, I'd love talk the guys into tackling it with me.

Man oh man, that's exactly the kind of thing I've been hoping for. I hope you get the chance to do it.

Beckett

Explorer
Jolly_Blackburn said:

That does look pretty cool. I might have to tackle Hackmaster again at some point, modified for the enjoyment of my group (not quite as big of fans as I of including every rule followed to the letter. sigh.)

Face

First Post
Beckett said:
That does look pretty cool. I might have to tackle Hackmaster again at some point, modified for the enjoyment of my group (not quite as big of fans as I of including every rule followed to the letter. sigh.)

There's no need to follow every rule to the gnat's ass. Most GMs pull certain bits out or even start off without using whole sections of the rules and slowly add them in. I know a lot of GMs start off not using crits, fumbles, and honor and introduce them slowly. I'm not really big on the alignment charting, but instead hammer the PCs on honor awards (which are based in part on alignment).

Do what works and have fun...if you're not having fun it's not worth playing.

GrimJesta

First Post
Naw, you don't need to use every rule. I ran Hackmaster successfully without using the complex critical rules (we did the AD&D "double damage" thing - I know, I know... "yawn") or character training stuff. Hackmaster is easy to tailor to whatever level of complexity I want. Sometimes we bare-bone the thing down to *almost* AD&D but keep the new classes, Honor, Reputation and combat options. Other times we run it full-on Hackmaster.

-=Grim=-

Remove ads