Ashin's Commission: Buried Alive

Rystil Arden

First Post
*Zaeryl nods and concentrates for six seconds. Suddenly, a flying astral construct with white wings of ectoplasm swoops over the Afflicted cavern in a direction away from the Psion and the Cleric, slamming into an Afficted hard, though not downing it, as it howls in pain.*

*The gathered Afflicted are quite startled by this event, and they growl, snarl, and amass in an attempt to destroy the construct, yet most of their attacks are unable to connect, and they are unable to dissipate it. Zaeryl motions for Michael to begin the run down into the cavern and up the other side--Michael has the strength to bowl over the few confused Afflicted that are still in their path.*

ajanders

Explorer
Michael starts off at a run.

He doesn't want to break stride, but if he needs to step on an Afflicted, he tries to step on something soft and tender. He definitely wants them to not get back up for a while.

Rystil Arden

First Post
*Michael finds it necessary to shove some of the Afflicted to the ground in order to continue. Fortunately, as most of them are flat-footed, they are denied any chance to attack him first, and his momentum gives him the power to knock over both of the Afflicted in his way. Zaeryl follows with equal heedless speed. As many of the Afflicted continue to be distracted by the Astral Construct, which batters down its victim of the previous assault, a good number of them notice the most recent intrusion and push their way slowly through the mass in an attempt to catch up. Michael takes a slash as he barges past another several Afflicted and up onto the path out of the cavern, as Zaeryl follows, glad he doesn't provoke any attacks since they used them on Michael.*

(OOC: Michael takes 6 Damage)

*Nonetheless, Zaeryl's position in the back proves deleterious as the Afflicted threaten to catch up, and one of them charges him and slashes him badly, though he seems to have prepared himself with extra vigour in case of such an emergency.*

(OOC: Zaeryl takes 8)

*Meanwhile, some of the larger Afflicted make a series of growling grunts and point towards Zaeryl and Michael, and they all turn away from the construct to face the pair.*

"Oh great..." Zaeryl mutters.

*Michael and Zaeryl barely manage to make it into the front of the tunnel, with plenty of Afflicted on their tail, including the one that charges Zaeryl again, this time failing to land a blow, and several of the larger ones catching up, one moving right behind Zaeryl and breathing down his neck, unable to charge because of its ally in the way, but ready to rend the weak Psion limb from limb.*

"Stalactite...the sooner the better..." Zaeryl suggests.

ajanders

Explorer
"We are trying to keep it from landing on you." Michael retorts.

He takes a split-second to eye the drop, and if Zaeryl is clear, throws his shatter spell at the stalactite.

"Sela! Lay your power on this nest of evil!"

(OOC: I have no idea what, if anything, you want me to roll, so I'll just wait for you on this.)

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: It looks like it automatically succeeds as long as the stone connecting the stalactite to the ceiling is 40 pounds or less)

*There is a loud cracking sound, and the stalactite falls just behind Zaeryl with an incredible crash. Several of the smaller Afflicted are crushed under the falling rock and killed instantly. The bigger one also proves a bit more nimble, and it manages to roll out of the way and into the passage with Zaeryl and Michael.*

"Oh lovely," Zaeryl sighs.

*The large Afflicted attacks Zaeryl three times, connecting twice and dealing massive amounts of damage, thankfully most of which is absorbed by his extra energy.*

(OOC: Zaeryl takes 22 Damage, 5 of which goes to his actual HP)

*Zaeryl steps to Michael's side and away from the large Afflicted, launching a small burst of flame at the Afflicted which harms it slightly and seems to stun it temporarily.*

(OOC: Big Afflicted A takes 7 Damage and is stunned)

"There--it is open, at least for the moment."

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: It's actually 1 more than that--Power Attack x1.5 two-handed is a common houserule and one I use in my own games, but the 3.5 designers considered players too stupid to do the math for a changing number on the fly, so they inexplicably rounded up to x2 Power Attack)

*The Afflicted is hurt by the hammer attack, but the attack just misses a vital spot.*

*Zaeryl backs up again so that he is behind Michael, and he launches a shard into the Afflicted.*

(OOC: Afflicted takes 13 Damage, total 31
Michael's turn, then the Afflicted goes (it didn't go last time due to stun) )

Rystil Arden

First Post
*Michael misses horribly, and the Afflicted capitalises on this to unleash an absolutely devastating trio of attacks, two of which connect painfully. Also, one of the smaller Afflicted manages to barely squeeze past the blockade and enter the combat arena.*

(OOC: Michael takes 24 Damage)

"Better and better..." Zaeryl comments, making another blast of energy at the two Afflicted.

*Though the newcomer is stunned, the bigger one is only burned badly. It seems on the brink of collapsing--one more good hit should do it.*

"Make sure you hit, if you can," Zaeryl suggests.

(OOC: BA1 takes 13 and is not stunned (natural 1 on the damage, natural 20 on the stun), A2 takes 11 damage and is stunned

Michael's turn)

ajanders

Explorer
Michael doesn't say anything, because he's disabled.
There will be a short pause, while I figure out what I can do here.

OK, here we go.

"Sorry..." Michael pants. "Recovering...internal...organs."
He casts defensively, sacrificing Comprehend Languages for healing.

concentration check (1d20+5=11)
(OOC: Glad I played it safe...)

converted CLW (1d8+3=8)
Internal organs slide out of Michael's fingers and into his body, where he needs them.

Last edited:

Remove ads