Issue with editing people's comments...

Asmor

First Post
There is something that's bugged me about ENWorld for a long, long time. I speak of the moderators' ability-- and willingness-- to go in and edit someone else's post. At best it seems disrespectful, and at worst it seems disingenuous and quite easy to abuse.

I understand that the board has rules and expectations of its posters, and that we all agreed to a EULA or something similar when we joined, but just the same editing someone else's words just feels inherently wrong to me.

I honestly don't expect anyone to care about my complaint, and really I'm just venting, but in the infinitesimally off chance that someone does care, here's what I'd suggest: Just delete the post entirely, leaving a note that a post was there and has been deleted and why. Still serves the purpose of enforcing the board's rules, but it's in my mind far less morally ambiguous. I know that I personally would prefer something I posted deleted wholesale rather than have someone go in and "clean it up."

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
As someone who recently got a post edited by a moderator, I'm fine with how the moderators have been handling it.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Hi Asmor,

The ability to go and edit any post is something that could be easy to abuse, and we are mindful of that. The decision of whether to edit or delete is one that is carefully considered.

Speaking for myself, if someone has a good post which they spoil with one insult, I would rather edit or remove the insult and leave the good part of the post rather than summarily delete the whole thing and throw the baby out with the bathwater.

In addition there is sometimes a benefit from justice 'being seen to be done' - where editing a nasty post and leaving a warning message makes it clear that certain behaviour has not been condoned. Deleted posts don't always serve this point, as the fact that they have been deleted is invisible to regular users - it just isn't there any more.

When we do edit things, we would normally make it clear that it is an edit that we have made, and the reason for that edit - you won't see us making invisible edits to peoples work for instance (which would be disingenuous). We do aim to be pretty upfront about things whenever we can (and if it appears that we are not, it is because we are dealing with issues by email behind the scenes).

Cheers

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
It's not unique to Enworld in any way. Actually right now I can't think of a single board where mods couldn't and wouldn't do that when the situation so warranted.

I've got no problem with it. Especially here where the moderators are excellent.

I don't think that deleting the offending post really works. An edited post is a clear signal to everyone, especially the poster himself.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
diaglo said:

Mark is pointing out a recent example where a mod (me) chose to not edit something as small as a thread title, but instead suggested to the OP that they do it themselves.

Generally speaking, if there's no board-rules issue, I don't edit people's writing. It would be downright rude. Even if the grammar is so bad it makes my eyes ache :)

Henry

Autoexreginated
I usually choose not to delete all of the post if there's one part where someone falls off the deep end in one spot. A post which says something like, "This company has not gotten my money for six months and they certainly won't get it now. They can TAKE THIS PRODUCT AND SHOVE IT UP THEIR **** and THEN **** it into a **** and RAM IT ******" then I'll chop it after the "...get it now." part and send out the warning/ban/whatever's warranted. We never, if avoidable, change the intent of the post, we'll just chop it off or delete it entirely.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Umbran said:
It would be downright rude.

Naw. In that case, just a matter of practicality (certainly not of grammar or board-rules in that particular case). With all of the other problems that arise from Gencon registration, any little thing anyone can do to avoid problems or confusion is just common sense and better to be done quickly.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases