Next for Northern Crown...Northern Crown Evolved.

Ulric

First Post
I've been reading this thread:

"What Ever Happened to Northern Crown"

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=195396

I am and continue to be intriqued by an American fantasy setting. I've even written a few short-stories in such settings. In the Northern Crown thread, Doug Anderson, who's been good enough to respond here on the boards, said that the last thing he'd been working on is "Boston", a setting book for NC. He said he's in grad school and isn't working on it currently. I hope he ends up finishing it. But, in the meantime, I was thinking we should add to NC ourselves (even if it's only in this thread).

In Northern Crown you've got Jonny Appleseed, Paul Bunyan, Ben Franklin as a techno magician, the Salem witches really being witches, headless horseman etc..etc..

What other American legends, fables, tall tales would you like to see added to an American fantasy setting? I saw Bloody Mary in an RPG book recently (I can't remember which one. Does anyone know?). I think she's strictly and uniquely American. What else could be added?

Help Doug Anderson expand on Northern Crown. Or help give rise to and expand upon whatever American-setting based RPGs that might follow. Are there any local legends or ghost stories particular to where you live? Tell us about 'em. We can add them to the list.

Ulric

First Post
Hjorimir said:
I think Bloody Mary appears in World of Darkness: Urban Legends.
Right, that's the book. It even talks about her living behind the mirror in elementary school bathrooms. That's probably where most of us first heard that story...in elementary school....in the bathroom. Of course I didn't have the guts at the time to say "I believe in Mary Mercy" 100 times to get Bloody Mary to appear. Oh, well. Life's full of missed opportunities:).

RavenSinger

First Post
Though I have not read any of the NC books, I really like the idea. There are many stories on which to draw, especially if you do not limit your scope to the Northeast. I can think of the Brer Rabbit stories of the South, the "Tall Tales" of Texas, and Native American Myths from every region. I think of characters like Pecos Bill, Hiawatha, Hawkeye, Sasquatch, Davey Crockett, Daniel Boone, John Henry, Pancho Villa, Zorro, Lewis and Clark to name a few.

Mystical places like the Big Rock Candy Mountain, the fabled invisible Crystal Mountain in what is now Wyoming, Chimney Rock, ghost towns of the American West, The Great Missisippi River, the Okeefenokee Swamp, the Great Sequoia Forest, Half Dome, Crater Lake, The Hot Springs of what is now Yellow Stone National Park, the La Brea Tar Pits, The Grand Canyon. . . shall I go on ;)

There is a great web resource here: www.americanfolklore.net It might be a good place to start.

Good Luck,
RS

Michael Dean

Explorer
Ulric said:
Of course I didn't have the guts at the time to say "I believe in Mary Mercy" 100 times to get Bloody Mary to appear. Oh, well. Life's full of missed opportunities:).

That's one of the crueller jokes my twin sister played on me when we were in first grade. She saw I had a bloody nose one day and told me (in a very conspiratorial whisper), that if I didn't say "I don't believe in Bloody Mary" at least 100 times before I went to sleep, Bloody Mary would come for me. I :):):):) you not; I was terrified and followed her advice EVERY FREAKING NIGHT for two years. It wasn't until third grade that I had a decent night's sleep.

Nellisir

Hero
Michael Dean said:
That's one of the crueller jokes my twin sister played on me when we were in first grade. She saw I had a bloody nose one day and told me (in a very conspiratorial whisper), that if I didn't say "I don't believe in Bloody Mary" at least 100 times before I went to sleep, Bloody Mary would come for me. I :):):):) you not; I was terrified and followed her advice EVERY FREAKING NIGHT for two years. It wasn't until third grade that I had a decent night's sleep.

Never heard of this.

Ulric

First Post
Nellisir said:
Never heard of this.

You...are....kinding me! That means that she'd still after you. She's haunted your dreams for years. She is the scream in you terror. You must exorcise her now. You need darkness and a mirror. Do it. Do it now. Stand if front of that mirror and chant the phrase 100 times. You think you get good sleep. You'll only know what good sleep is after you're free of her hauntings :).

Oh, and any other Northern Crown suggestions are appreciated.

Nellisir

Hero
Ulric said:
You...are....kinding me! That means that she'd still after you. She's haunted your dreams for years. She is the scream in you terror. ... You think you get good sleep. You'll only know what good sleep is after you're free of her hauntings :).

Oh, I get it. You're talking about my 5-month old daughter! :lol:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases