Eberron Setting?

cameroth

First Post
u r right

the last two paragraphs of your statement sum it up tyrian...there is always someone looking for a loophole to abuse the system, no matter what. eventually some of the rules you would like to have would be bypassed or outright not payed attention too..so then it is back to how can we enforce the rules?..by everyones statements, it seems there is no completely sure way, unless a magi is able to be present 24/7..and i doubt that is going to happen

Dark_Figure

First Post
How to enforce the rules? The same way we do in CRT. If someone breaks them, you say something to them in private, if they persist, take it to the Magi. Its easy, actually.

Magi_Trelian

First Post
Dark_Figure said:
How to enforce the rules? The same way we do in CRT. If someone breaks them, you say something to them in private, if they persist, take it to the Magi. Its easy, actually.
Oh boy, I wish it were that easy!

What about "I know tails aren't allowed but this one is fake. It just happens to look real." Or, "I know scales aren't allowed but it's a skin condition." Or, "why can't my dragon swoop down and pick me up in the Garden? I'm not -playing- it!"

Enforcing the setting restrictions of the Oerth rooms is damned difficult and those are a matter of clear and open sight descriptions. Trying to abjudicate which monsters or spells or actions count as "too high a level"? for those that don't even know the terms from D&D? Ugh.

Magi_Trelian said:
Enforcing the setting restrictions of the Oerth rooms is damned difficult and those are a matter of clear and open sight descriptions. Trying to abjudicate which monsters or spells or actions count as "too high a level"? for those that don't even know the terms from D&D? Ugh.

The fact that you haven't flatly said 'No' to this idea is a constant source of inspiration for me :)

Well, at least theres support for the idea.

Last edited:

Ok, so maybe more simple guidelines are needed?

1. If its bigger then a train, its not allowed.
2. If an ability or spell can de-rail a train, its no allowed.
3. If its more expensive then a train, its not allowed.
4. If its more resistant to damage then a train, its not allowed.

There, simple. Now the most powerful creature that should be in that room is the lightning rail coach. :D

...and again, lightning rail coach I'm still just using as an example, but if an Eberron room were to go through, I can't Imagine anything more Eberron then a fight ontop of a lightning rail coach...

...well, except maybe a fight ontop of a lightning rail coach as a purple worm chased the coach, and the elemental binding powering the coach got weaker every round as it threaten to release the angry beast upon the battling heroes... ah, gotta love pulp action.

Dark_Figure

First Post
Tyrian_Spellstealer said:
...well, except maybe a fight ontop of a lightning rail coach as a purple worm chased the coach, and the elemental binding powering the coach got weaker every round as it threaten to release the angry beast upon the battling heroes... ah, gotta love pulp action.
<PLOT DRIVEN ACTIONS SEQUENCE STOLEN!!>

Mystearia

First Post
I have read this post, twice now and have seen some good points such as level capping and size capping, also the fact that Eberron alignments are far more flexable than other realms alignments means that you might see a paladin riding the lightning rail with a drow or other evil creature and not feel the overpowering need to vanquish them, also i have noticed that many characters that die (a rare occurance on the chat in general) are back either the same day or the next day, how this is possible i don't know but i was also thinking of haveing a death cap so that if your character actually does die, they can only be brought back so many times, as described in the DMG or players handbook for those without them
that said i think Eberron would be a great setting to have, and the stats are a good idea only because some people have different recources than others, i also think that if one is going to play a monster that they should remember that a monster that adventures is not a common sight and is prolly more advanced than it's brethren or kin and therefore might act oddly for it's race, such as a goblin paladin or a blackguard celestial, also Eberron doesnt have many dragon type humanoids because the dragons have their own continent and rarely venture from it so most people wont even know what a dragon looks like, and the fact that there are living constructs in eberron also gives people the chance to play things that wouldnt be playable like golems, and Epic characters would be a No-No cause most people dont live that long in Eberron,

as a side note i would like to ask the magi if a character useing a class and abilities and powers from the Magic of Incarum handbook would be allowed since the abilities and meldshapeing powers wouldnt fall under the superspell restrictions or Spellfire restrictions in the CoC

Adeleana

First Post
Not that I want to be the fly in everyone's ointment. Truth be told, I know nothing about the setting. I am a big fan of low level characters, and own many. I feel if this room has strong enough support, it could be a very good thing for the site.

Personally I just don't think a room like that would find much use in a long term sense. At the moment there are already plenty of rooms open to play in (both Free Form and D&D settings), and more often than not you find it broken into a couple per room. Even if the room does go over well it could likely dwindle the community into even smaller groups. After a long awaited d'ebut with a ooc build up the Cage opened. Although it's a setting where the fighting restrictions have been removed, it doesn't get much action. Sure the crowd comes and goes, but I'm talking on an average night. It's taken this long for the Rotundra and Meeting place to pick up.

Let's be honest, the Tavern catches a lot of flack over it's limitations as a room. Yes, most of it is over the race issue, and it is the room that people gather in the most, so it leaves some people feeling forced. But it's proof that rules don't go over too well. I understand that the rules listed where only a 'draft', but.. Death being final could get a backlash from people about their right to freewill. Hiding anything, be it nature or power, doesn't work so well on ISRP. There have been countless blatant vampires, mutants, aliens, and a number of other things in TMP for example. That's not to say everyone does it. I have seen some people do a wonderful job keeping a lowkey, but it's quite a leap from how some are accustom to playing here.

While I would love to see more characters that could easily fit under those guidelines. I really would feel for the Magi who chose to pick it up. A room that is intended for lower level characters with those types of setting restrictions, on a site that is use to playing near gods. It would be a lot of work trying to uphold such strict rules. As mentioned, finding those limits would be very difficult. I know it would be enough to make me want to pull my hair out.

Adeleana said:
After a long awaited d'ebut with a ooc build up the Cage opened. Although it's a setting where the fighting restrictions have been removed, it doesn't get much action. Sure the crowd comes and goes, but I'm talking on an average night. It's taken this long for the Rotundra and Meeting place to pick up.

This is absolutely true. I use the cage as much as I can, but you are correct in that it doesn't get as much action as what it probably should. I still think the cage is an awesome idea. Whose to say that the same wouldn't happen to an Eberron room?

...well, honestly, in the long term, I don't think it would happen. Eberron is quickly becoming one of the strongest supported D&D settings wizards is producing, next only to Forgotten Realms. In terms of D&D accessories and resources, Eberron seems to be releasing more then FR (which seems to be focused on novels this year, in terms of sales).

What does this mean for a freeform RP chat room? Well, for those that DON'T know anything about dnd, or Eberron, not a whole lot. They might try out the room, like it, not like, and then move on.

BUT:
((From Enworlds help page))
At its core, EN World is a news and reviews website for Dungeons & Dragons and other d20 games.

We are HOSTED on this website. I'm not saying that because we're hosted on a dnd community we have to revolve everything around it. Its a freeform chat, always will be. What this means, however, is that our MAJOR source of new players and ISRP freeform newbies probably play dungeons and dragons. Is it possible that in the LONGTERM, an Eberron setting (backed rather heavily by wizards advertising and products at the moment) on a dungeons and dragons website might actually attract more players and get more frequent use due to the growing nature of the setting? ((Constructive debate tone here)).

Death being final could get a backlash from people about their right to freewill.

I agree on this point entirely. Limiting deaths is not a suggestion I've made, nor wish to enforce. That would take away from the Freeform nature of this chat site. The idea about death I wish to convey is that in Eberron it's usually hard to get out of, but not at all impossible.

A room that is intended for lower level characters with those types of setting restrictions, on a site that is use to playing near gods. It would be a lot of work trying to uphold such strict rules.

Then perhaps we need them less strict? In Eberron, you could have a vampire turn into a bat, lycanthorp shift, or heck, a mummy sipping tea and no one would much bat an eye lash in an Eberron room. It is NOT a strict setting, anything you can probably find an excuse to have in the room - except godlike characters, or characters wielding excessive power.

Is that hard to define? I'd like to think those four train rules I posted did the job pretty good (well, I think they did)- simple rules that restrict (at the least) ridiculously overpowered characters. Are they strict? Well, those four rules aren't really. They allow for relatively powerful character to still be present. So your characters strong enough to lift a train? Well, long as he doesn't do or say that in the setting, theres probably going to be no problems.

Those rules convey the feeling of a low-level setting. People (like me) wishing to go out of their way to challenge those limits would probably have a hard time getting past those four explicit four rules (again, this is just what I think, counter examples anyone, please?)

Would it be hard to enforce? My hope is that the atmosphere and nature of the setting and restrictions would keep most offenders at bay, but I could be thinking the best of people. Those few offenders that are present I still think are going to have a hard time explaining how their 'pet dragon actually isn't really that strong, so can't really de-rail a train, hes just pretending to'.

As mentioned, finding those limits would be very difficult. I know it would be enough to make me want to pull my hair out.

That's why it's a community - work now to get it right so that later the Magi aren't suffering for lack of planning and thought.

Remove ads