Eberron Setting?

Imreis

First Post
So yeah, we have plenty of rooms to play in. But why is the concept of another room so far fetched and out of bounds? Why is the idea of another place to try out characters, storys and ideas such a frowned on idea by so many of you? Everyone is open to have there own opinions and i have no problem with it but i just really wanted to ask WHY the comment "we have enough rooms" is valid. I AM NOT COMPLAING! just wanted that known because im not, all i want to know i guess is a reason why that is the answer.

Why not try it for a while? Give it a test run. Maybe have the room put up for a trial period of time and see how it gets used and if it works. If it does then awsome, we have a new setting to toy with. If it doesnt then it can be deleted there after. Ive always been told; "Dont knock it untill you've tried it" and we have all heard "How do you know you dont like them unless you try them?" Give pea's a chance i say.

One month trial period. Im sure those who find this idea good could get together or one person could do it in there time to make up a room describe, send it to the Gabe to set up for the room/room(s) needed and place the rooms up for a while.

As for the moderator issues on it...well yeah its a hard job to watch EVERYTHING that goes on in what we have, but..i say this to you. Its OUR job as players to follow the rules in the first place. Anyone reading theses forums cannot say they didnt know the rules because at the tope of this very screen under Settings are the rules for each and every room posted. Claiming to not knowing the rules is like telling the officer you didnt know it was a stop sign. There right here for you. in the chat all you do is click the setting you want to look at, right at the top of the chat screen and there there as well. Everytime you enter a room it gives you an adress to look at to take you to the rules. So perhaps the moderators would have to work less if people all did there part as players as well.

Imreis said:
Why not try it for a while? Give it a test run. Maybe have the room put up for a trial period of time and see how it gets used and if it works. If it does then awsome, we have a new setting to toy with. If it doesnt then it can be deleted there after. Ive always been told; "Dont knock it untill you've tried it" and we have all heard "How do you know you dont like them unless you try them?" Give pea's a chance i say.

One month trial period.

I like this idea, if it doesn't work, can always scrap it :)

Im sure those who find this idea good could get together or one person could do it in there time to make up a room describe, send it to the Gabe to set up for the room/room(s) needed and place the rooms up for a while.

Sent one a few days ago actually, am yet to get a reply from the magi.

Magi_Gabriel

Foppish Technocrat
Please Note: Nowhere have any Magi said the room isn't feasible, even if it wasn't physically possible to add another room there'd be the possibility of replacing a room with the new one.

The problem with the one month trial idea is this: In the first month you'll get a lot of people who show up just because there's the pressure of the one month trial. They want to see the room go ahead so they put off playing in other rooms to go there and then when it goes ahead they drop off because there's no pressure any more.

So, essentially before a room goes up it has to be solid in it's concept, it's rules and be put up to last without an arbitrary trial period. That means it needs a clear setting, clear rules and guides on how they will be enforced, clear distinctions that make it different from the Rotunda, CRT and the Cage. That tends to take a lot of hashing out and then more work from then on.

I have no doubts Eberron is fast growing and vastly popular, what that means is the room must run to higher expectations so more planning is involved. Personally I do not know anything about the setting so I'm trying to stay out of discussion of the specifics and work on technical things instead, but I think the more you toss ideas around the better the chances of finding the ideal one.

And even if we settle on a trial, you want the trial to be the best the room can be right?

BTW, I just checked the isrpmagi mail and couldn't find your email, could you send it again and CC jardel@unlikely-heroes.com?

Cheers

Magi_Gabriel said:
I have no doubts Eberron is fast growing and vastly popular, what that means is the room must run to higher expectations so more planning is involved. Personally I do not know anything about the setting so I'm trying to stay out of discussion of the specifics and work on technical things instead, but I think the more you toss ideas around the better the chances of finding the ideal one.
Heh, thats what I had hoped when I sent the email.

BTW, I just checked the isrpmagi mail and couldn't find your email, could you send it again and CC jardel@unlikely-heroes.com?

Cheers

...hmm, I must have typed the email address wrong. Lucky I saved it :)

Sent again. The isrpmagi emails is ISRPMagi@gmail.com, right? That's what it says on the 'how to contact the magi' sticky.

...if it still doesn't go through (and my skills with email really are that bad) it was just a URL to a link of the draft write ups I'd done (put on my own website), so I can just post the link here if it's easier.

Right, well I've been asked to post my draft for the Eberron room set up here to get some more feedback as the magi discuss, please, input needed!

I stuck with the 'Lightning Rail' example and drew up a couple of maps as well as the setting description, but they're a bit chunky to fit on a forum post, so heres the link:

http://www.geocities.com/flammabledragon/eberron.htm

Sorry about the geocities hosting (evil evil geocities).

Anyway, please give feedback! Ideally the setting would have two rooms, Lounge Cart E and The Roof. I've stuck with the structure of a Lightning Rail as much as I could, and with the theme for Eberrons pulp action and low power (also, if anyone follows Eberron closely, I've also included a baker's dozen reference with the number of carts, one of them having been removed. More information on the idea on wiki here. )

So, let me know what you think!

Nathan Sane

First Post
It has been my experince that you get more players with a more open setting. Not saying Eberron itself isn't a good idea, but a coach on a lightning train isn't a good idea. I mean idealy, people would read up on settings before playing them.

However, by and large people read a cursory glance at best of information. A setting where people from other planes could logically visit will be a better draw, and then add on Eberron flavor (like a warforged golem/bot) rather than try to force upon the populace the idea of Eberron's feel.

Nathan Sane said:
It has been my experince that you get more players with a more open setting. Not saying Eberron itself isn't a good idea, but a coach on a lightning train isn't a good idea. I mean idealy, people would read up on settings before playing them.

Well, thats the purpose of the thread, to get some better ideas other then what I can pull out, I went with the lightning rail idea because it seemed to get a lot of attention on this thread. It has a bar, chairs, tables and lounges. Everything the tavern has except for a hearth.

If people would prefer a different location, then they should post their ideas here. The setting write ups I've done are a mere draft, a demonstration of what the setting could/can be like. My hope with this write up is that as an idea, should the setting be approved, a board or thread could later be set up that would allow community members to vote and input what they'd like to see in an Eberron setting, be it pulp action ontop of a lightning rail or market place on the skybridges of Sharn. That said, I personally believe this site doesn't need another 'bar' room, or another 'market place' room.

However, by and large people read a cursory glance at best of information. A setting where people from other planes could logically visit will be a better draw, and then add on Eberron flavor (like a warforged golem/bot) rather than try to force upon the populace the idea of Eberron's feel.

Unfortunately, this is in itself a contradiction to what the setting is aiming to be - low power. Plane shift a rather high level spell. The idea of the setting is that it isn't full of people who come from all over the planes to meet (though that is possible). If you want that in a setting, then the characters should focus in Sigil. Is that a better draw? Well, Sigil still doesn't get used as much as the CRT. We already have a setting that has people from other planes visiting it. This setting is aiming to be one where most people don't regularly plane shift around (hence the idea of the setting being located in a mode of transport, whats the point of catching a lightning rail if your character is powerful enough to teleport to where he needs to be?).

Does this mean characters from other settings or planes can't go there? Of course not, few of my characters are native to Eberron, but they spent most of their time there. I'm sure if this setting were to go through, it would have drow of the underdark, or red wizards, or other rather foreign characters present, as much as the CRT does. I would say with ISRP such things are to be expected. Does the setting stop these kinds of characters from being present? Heck no. Does it stop these kind of characters being present but who can also blow holes in the mutliverse and boast about how many times they've killed Elminster? Yes.

Another point is that the Eberron cosmology does not follow suit with a standard dnd cosmology. It has no inner planes, nor outer planes. There is no celestia, or abyss, or even a blood war that any of the inhabitants (be they primes or outsiders) would of heard of (at least, that is my understanding of Eberrons planes). Travel from another prime material plane like Faerun or Oerth to Eberron is extremely difficult (however, not at all impossible). If we created a setting that simply had characters congregating from all over the planes with an Eberron element, then all we've really done is copied sigil and changed the modron into a warforged. The idea is that we're trying to offer something DIFFERENT, not something that this chat site already has.

Last edited:

Bari

First Post
Does Eberron have halflings? Native halflings?

Besides, Tyrian, after reading your train dessy... it's great :) but still, I don't think it suits it. Simply put, how do you direct a storyline on a train? Well...

So I was thinking, if it ain't a bar or a marketplace... what about just a train station?

EDIT: No idea what kind of fighting room you would get in a train station, but, anyway. Maybe you can say they... hop on a moving train?

Last edited:

Dark_Figure

First Post
Yes, Eberron has halflings. Wild dinosaur riders and more urban city slickers. I love the idea of an Eberron room but Bari has a point about the storyline. Also, there is not much room on a single train car. But, as I have nothing to suggest myself, I will leave it at that.

Remove ads