Hoarding Names

Magi_Trelian

First Post
We have no restrictions on how many character screennames any one player can register for ISRP chat.

However we would like to ask people to avoid "hoarding" names. This is registering large blocks of names at once, just to keep them available to you in the future. Let's be honest, very few of those names will ever be played. But if they've been registered then no one else would be able to use them either.

We will be running clean-up now and then to delete user names that were never used, but it won't be very often and meanwhile those names are dead to people who might have found that the perfect name for their char.

So, will people like the one that recently registered about 70 names (3 starting with "J", 4 "K", 6 "L", 6 "M", 3 "N", 3 "O", 2 "P", 1 "Q", 7 "R", 3 "S", 3 "T", 1 "U", 4 "V", 3 "W", 6 "X", 3 "Y", 5 "Z", plus others), please stop it. Register the ones you need when you need them.

Magi_Gabriel

Foppish Technocrat
And also a quick clarifier, it's fine if you have half a dozen, or ten or twenty or thirty screen names that you don't use any more. In the case of this individual the number of usernames runs into the hundreds and was a significant portion of the names in our user database.

If you have a few dozen usernames you know you don't user and you'd like them deleted then feel free to email me and I'll remove them, but please don't feel bad about taking up the space.

Mortonia

First Post
Lince'sa said:
how does one find the time to register 7o names at once? Wow...

Actually, if you know the name of the script that does the submission, you could probably write a quick perl script that would run from a text file and register them for you.

And NO it's not me. I'm just saying, it may not be all that time consuming to register a huge block of names. That's the reason a lot of sites now require you to type in the word or number from the little graphic that shows up when you register, just to prevent that sort of automated mass registering.

Mortonia

First Post
While we're on the subject, Trellian, you can remove the following names that I have registered and do not plan on actually using.

Anrak
D'roanshae

Thanks!

Ruthia

First Post
Acctually You have to Email them the username and password to get an account deleted....That way the can prove it's acctually yours and not someone elses. Which I think is a good safety measure.

Mortonia

First Post
Erm...I suppose that would be fine, except I don't register an email address with my user names, so how does that prove anything?

Magi_Trelian

First Post
What Ruthia is saying is to send the Magi an e-mail (at isrpmagi@gmail.com) with the names and passwords for each. We figure if the password matches what's on file, then it must be your char and okay to delete per your request. But of course you wouldn't want to post the password here, right?

By the way, if people have made different versions of the same character because they forgot a password, let us know that, too. We can reset the password on the original name to whatever you want and clear out the duplicate(s). (We'll first try to be sure these all do belong to the same player.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases