Custom divine abilities, portfolios, etc.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Hiya mate, me again! :)

Howdy =^.^=

I don't mean about the Monkey Grip thing, I mean about taking various penalties to your BAB (or AC) and adding them to other areas.

Still has nothing to do with wielding GIGANTIC weapons.

Its been a while.

=^.^= You should try it some time as a refresher. You're missing out on your own work.

Barbarian/Sorcerer, Barbarian/Wizard, ect. could greatly benefit from the constitution bonus a Barbarian Rage gives them. It would definitely go a long way to improving Constitution checks. Of course that isn't the only benefit.

Being able to blast people while in a rage is also a great thing. Switching from melee to blasting spells is frikkin awesome.

S'mon

Legend
dante58701 said:
Howdy =^.^=

Hey dante mate! :)

Krusty here - natch.

Still has nothing to do with wielding GIGANTIC weapons.

Whenever do you see people wielding GIGANTIC weapons...and I mean even in terms of anime. The answer is almost never. They wield weapons one size category upwards (which Monkey Grip accounts for) and after that the whole thing becomes impractical.

=^.^= You should try it some time as a refresher. You're missing out on your own work.

I barely have the time to read new books I buy, let alone old books I have written - unless I am going back to reference a specific rule or something like that.

Barbarian/Sorcerer, Barbarian/Wizard, ect. could greatly benefit from the constitution bonus a Barbarian Rage gives them. It would definitely go a long way to improving Constitution checks. Of course that isn't the only benefit.

Of course it would benefit them - but it would also imbalance them - theres a reason why they have less hit points than fighter types you know.

Being able to blast people while in a rage is also a great thing. Switching from melee to blasting spells is frikkin awesome.

I think you could blast people with [Effect] powers while raging, but not necessarily cast spells while in a Barbarian Rage.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Hey dante mate! :)

Krusty here - natch.

O.O *bows* -.- Howdy Krusty-san!

Whenever do you see people wielding GIGANTIC weapons...and I mean even in terms of anime. The answer is almost never. They wield weapons one size category upwards (which Monkey Grip accounts for) and after that the whole thing becomes impractical.

Bah, I've seen people in anime grab telephone poles and smack people. It might lessen odds of hitting, but sometimes it's worth it for the extra damage when better weapons aren't available.

I barely have the time to read new books I buy, let alone old books I have written - unless I am going back to reference a specific rule or something like that.

Might help with continuity if you did the occasional backscan. Hindsight being what it is.

Of course it would benefit them - but it would also imbalance them - theres a reason why they have less hit points than fighter types you know.

WOTC already has a class feature in a prestige class that does this very thing, but it's more powerful. If anything I'm knocking it down a notch and implementing the concept as a feat.

I think you could blast people with [Effect] powers while raging, but not necessarily cast spells while in a Barbarian Rage.

See above.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
I created this one to solve the problem I had with Divine Sneak Attack not covering skirmish, sneak attack, sudden strike, and surprise strike, even though the official errata states that skirmish, sudden strike, and surprise strike qualify as prerequisites for feats that normally require sneak attack.

Divine Strike (Su)
Half your skirmish, sneak attack, sudden strike, and/or surprise strike damage is divine.
Prerequisites: Skirmish +5d6, Sneak Attack +10d6, Sudden Strike +10d6, or Surprise Strike +10d6 or any combination thereof.
(i.e. Skirmish +3d6 plus Sneak Attack +5d6, ect.)
Benefit: Half your skirmish, sneak attack, sudden strike, and/or surprise strike damage is divine and damages creatures immune to critical hits normally.

I'm aware that Divine [Strike] exists, but this isn't the same thing. =^.^=

Last edited:

Evilmonkeygod

First Post
So I'm wondering: Divine Sorcery and Divine Wizardry are both Divine Abilities that would benefit an Arcane caster more so than a Divine one.

So does anybody have thoughts for a Divine Ability for a Cleric? I have an idea for a Druid:

Elemental Caster:
Pre-req: Able to cast 9th level Druid Spells, Wisdom 40, Spellcraft 43 Ranks.

Benefit: Pick an element. Each damaging spell you cast deals an extra amount of damage of the type chosen equal to the regular damage of the spell. This can result in a doubling if Fire is chosen and a Fire spell is cast. For each non-damaging, but detrimental spell you cast, it deals damage equal to 1d6 per spell level, per its duation. Ex, if a Druid were to cast Creeping Doom(a 7th level spell) it also deals 7d6 damage per minute.

is that too powerful for a Divine? or would it fit more as a Cosmic?

dante58701

Banned
Banned
I use these since it doesn't make much sense to ignore the spellcasting abilities of other classes.

Numinous Power (Su)
Your power seems inexhaustible.
Prerequisites: Psicraft 40 Ranks (manifesters) or Spellcraft 40 Ranks (spellcasters).
Benefit: Double your number of Power Points (manifesters), Unique Powers per Day (erudites), and Epic Power Slots (manifesters) or Spell Slots (spellcasters) for each level.
Special: This ability can be taken twice. Each time you take it, it applies to either your manifesting classes (manifesters) or your spellcasting classes (spellcasters).

Numinous Spirit (Su)
You transcend the normal limitations of psionics or magic.
Prerequisites: Psicraft 40 Ranks (manifesters) or Spellcraft 40 Ranks (spellcasters).
Benefit: You transcend the normal limitations of psionics or magic and can learn powers or spells from any source, be they arcane, divine, or even psionic.
Special: This ability can be taken twice. Each time you take it, it applies to either your manifesting classes (manifesters) or your spellcasting classes (spellcasters).

dante58701

Banned
Banned
My Dream Portfolio, credit and thanks to Mercutio for inspiration.

Attachments

• Dream Portfolio.pdf
    60.3 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

paradox42

First Post
Divine Researcher

As I've mentioned elsewhere, both games I now run are divine-level, and we've been busy little beavers coming up with ways to get things to work together and run well. Now, some of what we've come up with wouldn't work well in any game but ours, but other things would work very well. I've been meaning to share the latter on here, but haven't gotten around to it; with this post I begin rectifying that lack of effort.

This ability came up because my game features four locations/edifices that were built by mysterious ancient beings predating the current cosmos- they could be Sidereals/Overgods, or they could be some prior (and now-vanished) race/cycle of Immortals. One of the four, the Obsidian Tower, was the inspiration for the rest; I got it from a brief notation in the Planescape book The Inner Planes discussing a site in the Quasielemental Plane of Minerals called the Tower of Lead. For my own game I changed its material to Obsidian, and set it up in a different location of the plane, as well as detailing exactly what it does (which the original note about the Tower of Lead does not- it just says that inside it is a really great forge). Now, when Ascension came along, there was an interesting case of serendipity: the Obsidian Tower's special Forge grants its user crafting ability which the power Divine Architect almost exactly duplicates.

As I said, there are four of these in my cosmos, based on the Obsidian Tower as an original, and one of the other three proved to be a very popular visit for casters in my games who heard about it. That location, placed in the Quasielemental Plane of Radiance, is called the Dark Lens, and it is postulated to do for spell and psionic power research what the Obsidian Tower does for item crafting. This naturally led my players, once they started crossing the line to divinity and reading through all the nifty stuff Ascension could let them have, to ask: If we can get Divine Architect to more or less carry the Obsidian Tower with us, why can't we do the same for the Dark Lens? To this I essentially replied: No reason, and thus the ability detailed below was born.

Divine Researcher
You can discover new spells faster than others.
Prerequisites: Automatic Writing, INT 40, Spellcraft 40 ranks.
Benefit: Your spell research times are measured in hours rather than days.
Normal: It takes a character one week per level of the spell to research a sub-Epic spell, or one day (rounded up to the nearest whole day) for each 50,000 gp in resources required to develop an Epic spell.

For psionicists, we obviously changed the skill requirement to Psicraft 40 ranks, but we kept the Automatic Writing prerequisite- with the understanding that the following change would be made to Automatic Writing to make it useful for casters besides Wizards:

Automatic Writing
Any spell you see in action is automatically written down for you.
Prerequisites: INT 25, Scribe Scroll.
Benefit: Whenever you see a spell in operation, either in the act of casting or its ongoing effects, you are able to immediately write that spell into your spellbook (you must still have available blank pages and resources for writing the spell- if you do not then you lose the opportunity to write it). If you do not use a spellbook, you instead may instantly scribe a scroll containing that spell (you still pay the gold and XP cost as normal).

The psionic version of this would of course require Imprint Stone instead of Scribe Scroll, and allow you to get a powerstone of an observed power rather than a scroll (or spellbook write) of an observed spell.

Interestingly, despite having this ability available, only one player has actually taken it so far, though this is no doubt in part due to the fact that all the party's casters know where the Dark Lens is and can thus go there at will. As mortals, they were scared to use the sites too often or for too long because of the fearsome Guardians that lurk around the sites; however, as deities they have seen enough of the Guardians to not have much reason anymore to fear them.

Remove ads