Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Mansión de los Cthulhu, La
Dagon
The Thing on the Doorstep
Nyarlathotep
Return to Innsmouth

Wycen

Explorer
I wonder, do any of these feature any sort of Cthulhu figure? Not a deep one, depraved cultist or undead, but the Great Old One himself.

My family came over this weekend and I had my Horrorclix Cthulhu out on display. The two youngest present wanted to know all about him. Little Cadence asked how come his tummy was big and why he was bleeding (tentacles bursting out). I told her it was because he ate too much candy.

Anyway, their father asked what movie he's from and I told him 'Call of Cthulhu' but I doubt any movie I've seen has really shown a good representation of the sleeping one.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Wycen said:
I wonder, do any of these feature any sort of Cthulhu figure? Not a deep one, depraved cultist or undead, but the Great Old One himself.

My family came over this weekend and I had my Horrorclix Cthulhu out on display. The two youngest present wanted to know all about him. Little Cadence asked how come his tummy was big and why he was bleeding (tentacles bursting out). I told her it was because he ate too much candy.

Anyway, their father asked what movie he's from and I told him 'Call of Cthulhu' but I doubt any movie I've seen has really shown a good representation of the sleeping one.

The recently released Call of Cthuhlu is very good. It was intentionally filmed to look like a 1920's silent film and of all the Lovecraft movies this captures the feel of the times, is accurate to the book, and features the big guy himself.

http://www.cthulhulives.org/cocmovie/

Henry

Autoexreginated
Wycen said:

Cast a Deadly Spell had Big C. himself, crawling out of a fissure. A bit cheesy on the special effects (it was like 1990, I think), but it was a remarkable homage to quite a few of the Lovecraft elements, but put in with a twist that is VERY similar to the RPG. I'd swear whoever wrote the movie had been playing the RPG, with the combination of dark and humorous elements present in the movie. I haven't see a movie to rival its feel ever since.

Re-animator and I have no mouth but I must scream probably came closest to the atmosphere of the short stories...

Frostmarrow

First Post
The Haunted Palace

The Haunted Palace starring Vincent Price is a decent Lovecraft take on The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. -Directed by Roger Corman THP is Lovecraft disguised as Poe.

Jeremy Perkins said:
Charles Dexter Ward travels with his wife to Arkham to inspect a large house he has inherited. It was once owned by his great grandfather Joseph Curwen, a disciple of the devil, who cursed the local villagers as they burned him at the stake. Everyone is hostile to Ward, blaming the curse for the number of mutants in the village. Indeed, Ward's arrival allows Curwen to take over his body and restart his evil ways by revenging himself on the descendants of those who killed him.

I've seen this movie and I liked it a lot.

Remove ads