Setting NPCs and Characters

Magi_Siani

First Post
No one is allowed to play officials or personnel of the setting proper except Magi. This is specifically true of the Tavern. This means no militia, no governors, none of that sort of thing. I've already advised some folk of this. Please keep it in mind.

The other Setting Coordinators have freedom to decide for their own settings, but the Tavern setting does not allow this sort of character play.

Siani

Sienna_Rose

First Post
Can someone play an individual member of the guard as a character? Or a noble from else where? I can see, not the higher ups of the town, or not groups of guards/militia, what not. Just asking for clarification.

Magi_Gabriel

Foppish Technocrat
Sienna_Rose said:
Can someone play an individual member of the guard as a character? Or a noble from else where? I can see, not the higher ups of the town, or not groups of guards/militia, what not. Just asking for clarification.

A noble from elsewhere: Yes.
Member of the guard: Not really.

Essentially you cannot have character with the authority and obligation to arrest people (or... things) in one of our rooms. It creates way too many problems with IC vs OOC authority and that you are basically representing the setting rather than a character.

Nobody but Magi can enforce what the officials of a setting do that effects a room directly. That includes emoting in that the police are coming to arrest someone or that the city has made a declaration outlawing people with blue pants or anything of that nature.

We allow people to play off duty and retired cops, federal police, military in TMP provided that these people remain off duty the entire time they're there. (So no arresting people, handing out fines, etc)

Otherwise it simply creates too many problems with deciding if it was canonical, who should have the authority to place such a character and who shouldn't, and what to do if someone who should does something they shouldn't.

Sienna_Rose

First Post
Magi_Gabriel said:
A noble from elsewhere: Yes.
Member of the guard: Not really.

Essentially you cannot have character with the authority and obligation to arrest people (or... things) in one of our rooms. It creates way too many problems with IC vs OOC authority and that you are basically representing the setting rather than a character.

Nobody but Magi can enforce what the officials of a setting do that effects a room directly. That includes emoting in that the police are coming to arrest someone or that the city has made a declaration outlawing people with blue pants or anything of that nature.

We allow people to play off duty and retired cops, federal police, military in TMP provided that these people remain off duty the entire time they're there. (So no arresting people, handing out fines, etc)

Otherwise it simply creates too many problems with deciding if it was canonical, who should have the authority to place such a character and who shouldn't, and what to do if someone who should does something they shouldn't.

That makes sense.
But, couldn't the off duty rule apply to the fantasy rooms as well? Just so long as the guard, soldier, etc., doesn't go enforcing what you've just mentioned is to be enforced by the Magi?

Magi_Gabriel

Foppish Technocrat
At the discretion of the Setting Co-Ordinator. Well allow them in TMP because in modern society police are pretty well integrated with the rest of us and the night club is supposed to be more or less public.

CRT is supposed to be an adventurer bar that the locals avoid, too many of those crazy adventuring types in there and set in a society. It's also where strange things appear that an off duty watchman probably doesn't want to know about. Siani has the final say on that though.

The Cage... doesn't really have any authority figures, just vigilantes in uniforms.

The Rotunda, I don't believe I've heard Nashira state one way or the other what her feelings on off duty guards are.

Magi_Siani

First Post
As Gabriel has stated; being noble is fine as long as it is from somewhere else.

Being any sort of militia is not. Not even off duty. Tried that once before and it spiralled out of control rather quickly. Not going to try that again any time soon.

For the Tavern, I'm afraid the answer is 'no'.

Siani

Adrie

First Post
so then people can not play knights from other places at all now or a militia personal from another area that would have no power/ability to uphold laws in the CRT as it's not their land?

Magi_Siani

First Post
You can be nobles/militia from other places but you cannot be so from Greyhawk or Ford Keep and you cannot claim authority over others by virtue of your job description.

No authority over others is granted to any patron, IC or otherwise. So no one can go about telling others what to do, attacking or arresting them, etc, and claiming to be a noble/militiaman/watchman of Greyhawk or Ford Keep setting itself. Note that this doesn't stop your usual storylines at all.

The incident that sparked this had characters portraying Ford Keep militia. Setting officials are not played by patrons but by Magi, who are the only ones with the authority to evict or toss people from the rooms in any way.

On rare occasions a patron might be asked to represent a setting official under supervision of a Magi, as has been done in the Tavern when the Baron and Baroness have made appearances. Very rarely, under supervision, and only under tight restrictions for one off events. No, I won't say who was playing Their Excellencies, though they have done a hell of a job I must say. ;)

Knights are not setting officials, they are simply knights.

Under no circumstances whatever does character type, alignment, or concept override the CoC and Setting rules.

Hope that clears things a bit

Siani

Magi_Nashira

Chaotic Lawkeeper
Magi_Gabriel said:
At the discretion of the Setting Co-Ordinator. Well allow them in TMP because in modern society police are pretty well integrated with the rest of us and the night club is supposed to be more or less public.

CRT is supposed to be an adventurer bar that the locals avoid, too many of those crazy adventuring types in there and set in a society. It's also where strange things appear that an off duty watchman probably doesn't want to know about. Siani has the final say on that though.

The Cage... doesn't really have any authority figures, just vigilantes in uniforms.

The Rotunda, I don't believe I've heard Nashira state one way or the other what her feelings on off duty guards are.

I'm pretty much on board with Gabe and Siani here, the same rules will apply for the Rotunda, I have seen firsthand the mess that can be made from people taking advantage of playing setting area NPC types. You are welcome to play militia/npc/officials/personell types from anywhere else in Faerun. Heck, Nashira is a retired Purple Dragon!

Remove ads