Least Belivable aspect of D&D?

What is the least belivable aspect of D&D?

• Abudance of Magic items

Votes: 24 14.9%
  • Abudance of Monsters

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Abudance of Dungeons with monsters and magic items inside

Votes: 50 31.1%
  • Abudnace of Evil Gods that want to destroy the world

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Magic mechanics (how it works in the game)

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other Planes cosmology (That whole manual of planes)

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Alignment system

Votes: 25 15.5%
  • A Character class or classes

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 32 19.9%

clockworkjoe

First Post
Personally for me, I just can't see how that many magic items exist in ANY popular D&D campaign where the only way for mortals to make them is via the feat system AND magic items tend to get trashed/permanently lost (how many magic items have been eaten by rust monsters?)

But I could be wrong.

|]emonix

First Post
What a lame post...

I would hate to see what d&d would be like if it was "real"... the whole aspect of the game is fantisy

honestly, the game could not be better

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
The least believalbe aspect of D&D is that I'm 31 and still playing it.

Other than that...

If we assume the existence of magic as our one "gimmie" I'd say the overwhelming number of monsters, monster types, and the fact that none of them have any root in science. The dragons should not only be too large to fly, but they should colapse under their own weight (*) There are so many critters that are carniverous that every single fantasy ecology should colapse. Don't get me started on the caloric needs of a giant. And the bugs!!! Oxygen transfer is horrible for anything with an exoskeleton. And the biodiversity is insane!

Anyhoo ... just my two cents.

Biggus Geekus

(*) Yeah, yeah I know. Dragons have special bones or have helium brains or something. Sorry, pal. Won't work. And if they walk around and fly due to magic then if I cast dispel magic on them will they die?

clockworkjoe

First Post
Well, I'm just talking about inconsisencies between the rules and the settings. Where do these magic items come from?

What wizard would even make enchanted leather armor? After all, if you're making magic armor you might as well make metal armor since its probably for your fighter type buddy.

Where do these suits of enchanted leather armor and +1 weapons come from??

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Oh! OK...

* that, given its permenance, every torch hasn't been replaced by a continual light (or eternal torch or long-lasting flame or whatever the spell is called in 3rd edition)

* that, given their effectiveness in a battle, troops and militia don't train to "kill the spell caster first" (at least, I've never seen this expressly stated and reflected in a setting. Usually when I mention this people say things like "oh yeah, folks do that" and go back to killing the fighter first because he's in front)

* That, given that the harm spell has no save, clerics over 11th level of an unknown god aren't shot on sight

* that people tolerate any follower of an evil god at all. C'mon. The guy next door says he worships Hastur, has the evil spells to prove it, and you're just gonna hope for the best? Sure, people live in fear next to tough guys in the real world, but those tough guys don't follow gods that think its nifty to destroy the planet. Which reminds me. What kind of moron follows a guy who wants to blow up the world? Don't you think in ONE of those secret meetings that there would be ONE guy to raise his hand and say, "Um, dudes? Have we really thought about this one?"

* I'm sorry, people haven't put permenant Zones of Truth all over the place ... why? We use truth machines all the time and they're not even effective. Probably because of some cultural reason.

* While I'm ranting: can somone get me the name of the architecht who designs the dungeons where the tiny monsters are up front and the tough monsters are in the back? He keeps getting work and probably has swell references, but I think I'd like to go with a different contractor.

... anyway ... very tired, very late ... I'll pick this up tomorrow!

Crothian

First Post
The funny thing most of your complaints (or choices as they are called) is that I never run into them. Even wwhen we game in wwritten world, magic is hard to come by, dungeons are rare and always have a purpose. These are the products of abad DMing IMO, not the fault of the game or the world.

Number47

First Post
Abudance?

Abudance?

Explain to me this word and I will answer your poll. Does it, pray tell, have something to do with Buddhism?

William Ronald

Explorer
I think some of the evild deities need to have their cults be a little more secretive. It is one thing for Hades, god of the dead, to have temples. But I think that for the GH deities, a temple to Erythnul would probably be banned out right. Also, a few secretive cults would be interesting.

In the case of some deities, their cults would be deeply hidden. Tharizdun in GH and any of the Cthulhu mythos would be examples of this.

clockworkjoe

First Post
Crothian said:
The funny thing most of your complaints (or choices as they are called) is that I never run into them. Even wwhen we game in wwritten world, magic is hard to come by, dungeons are rare and always have a purpose. These are the products of abad DMing IMO, not the fault of the game or the world.

Look at a lot of published modules. I'll use Night Below as I'm familar with it.

Basically, over 75% of the NPCs over level 5 have at least one magic item. Everyone from the town's woodsman to every enemy human type NPC over level 5 has got some permanent magic item or items. And pretty much every module is like this, especially for adventures designed for parties above level 5.

Almost all campaigns in my experience give out some permanent magic item to players once they get past level 3 or so, and usually before then. Given that in most campaign worlds, there would be at least a good few hundred dozen adventurers running around and numerous higher up NPCs (Head priests, fighter lords etc), there almost has to be literally hundreds if not thousands of permanent magic items. Where do these magic items come from? And yes they are durable and can last a long time, magic items are put through insane amounts of abuse, from rust monsters to area effect spells to just plain wear and tear.

edit to say yes I'm sorry I misspelled abudance. I'm tired :)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases