Least Belivable aspect of D&D?

What is the least belivable aspect of D&D?

• Abudance of Magic items

Votes: 24 14.9%
  • Abudance of Monsters

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Abudance of Dungeons with monsters and magic items inside

Votes: 50 31.1%
  • Abudnace of Evil Gods that want to destroy the world

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Magic mechanics (how it works in the game)

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other Planes cosmology (That whole manual of planes)

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Alignment system

Votes: 25 15.5%
  • A Character class or classes

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 32 19.9%

clockworkjoe

First Post
As for the hit point thing, I could suspend my disbelief over that just as I could for the dragon flying/wing span ratio issues and others like it. So I didn't include it. But I can see your point about it.

I just think there should be alternate game mechanics for the creation of magic items. The leveled item is a great start towards that.

reapersaurus

First Post
The fact that the world is not dominated by high-level mages.
They can literally do just about everything at high levels, including beating any foe (other than high-level mage), and yet, I don't see many lands truly ruled by them.

Even if a Good mage is content with simply taking a back-seat in politics to the King or whoever, how can you explain away that there wouldn't be EVIL power-hungry high-level mages that would rule their lands with an iron fist, consistenty exploring and taking over new lands, since they have so many spells to help them in their dominance.

If you argue that the mages are the ones that are REALLY in power, and the fighter (or paladin, or whatever) on the throne is just a figurehead, than that'd be fine.
But with THAT much power (and INT or CHA) centered in one corporeal being, it strains my understanding of human nature that they wouldn't take over.

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely, don't ya know.. ;)

William Ronald

Explorer
Originally posted by reapersaurus:
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely, don't ya know.. ;)

Unless constrained by morality and common sense. I tend not to believe that high level mages dominate the environment. I have seen several dominating fighters. Who wins is often a matter of equipment, skill, and, above all, cunning.

Remember the evil powerful mages would be opposed by good-aligned and neutral mages, clerics, fighters (don't sell a fighter short) and other characters. Imagine the poor fool who sets up a teleport circle that is discovered by his enemies. A simple rock with a silence spell on it could really ruin a mage's whole day.

Psion

Adventurer
reapersaurus said:
The fact that the world is not dominated by high-level mages.
They can literally do just about everything at high levels, including beating any foe (other than high-level mage), and yet, I don't see many lands truly ruled by them.

One problem: in general, why would they want to? With that much magical power, one wonders why they would resort to the annoyance of political power.

clockworkjoe

First Post
Mages are powerful, but remember they are mortal and few in number. Any mage that takes over a kingdom is going to have to live the rest of his life afraid and paranoid. Will his concubine slit his throat while he sleeps? Which advisors can he trust?

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Psion said:

One problem: in general, why would they want to? With that much magical power, one wonders why they would resort to the annoyance of political power.

Why would anyone limit all of them to not wanting anything? Perhaps the annoyance, as you call it, of political power is offset by other things they see as attractive gains? I'd venture that any perceivable end can be plausible. Maybe they seek the political power because it is something that someone else has?

Ruvion

First Post
The mage with an evil bent will make himself into a lich at first opportune moment (and neglect to mention this to the general populace of course). Thus preventing most conventional means of "killing" him. Though the said concubine will likely be driven mad (from your undead presence and what not), and you'll not have any appetite for such things anyways (other than to keep up the appearance)!

On the issues of hit points, I always thought that hit points represent more than capacity for injury. In my minds and minds of few others, I see it like an abstract gauge that measures your skill at blocking/dodging, stamina, capacity for injury, heroic determination (that lets you survive death-defying like in face of certain doom), and luck (of high level heroes). It is not the perfect way to describe the functionalities of hit points but adequate enough and I belive a view supported by WotC. And the issue of hit points running out and why the said fighter (or insert other class) could not dodge a sword blow from that puny goblin? Well, luck and skills runs out eventually for most people and I guess hit points gauge that. If such a thing makes sense of course. YMMV :rolleyes:

[note: edited some spelling]

Last edited:

EOL

First Post
I think the best illustration of how I imagine hit points to work is the death of Boromir (moreso in the book than the movie) here you've got a guy fighting dozens of orcs and though he takes out 20 or so eventually the sheer numbers overwhelm him, and he goes down, not with a single wound, but with numerous small wounds.

As far as the most unbelievable aspect of D&D I would have to say the ecology. The ratio of predators to prey is clearly seriously out of whack.

Remove ads