NPCs and Levels in LEW

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
I think she should worship a dwarven god. She's the elected dwarven representative (Fallon has a council rep for each of the major races) and it makes that the dwarves would organize through religion and get Theora elected.

Hmm... we have no true "Dwarven deity", so I think Gundar is the most appropriate. And that would make Theora lawful neutral, perfect for a councilor.

To Velmont, Regarding Hyrag: I can't find any reference to Hyrag in the Fallon entry. Are you thinking of Orussus?

Velmont

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
To Velmont, Regarding Hyrag: I can't find any reference to Hyrag in the Fallon entry. Are you thinking of Orussus?

Oops, wrtong city! Yeah, I was thining of Orussus... my bad.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
I made the changes to the Fallonese Councilmembers and Flenceburg, on the wiki only. It's so freakin' easy on the wiki, and such a pain to do in the forum. It's important to have the information here, I guess... but dang it. There's got to be a better way.

I discovered Bran Brekkle, the Orussus Watch-Captain, who is L12. He could drop, I think, but not too much. He's the watch-captain, after all, and I'm betting he's had a lot of low-level encounters with criminals.

The Orussus Watch is disconcertingly powerful. They're known to have mages that can teleport themselves + 4 warriors all over town. Dimension door is the lowest level teleportation spell, and it requires CL 12th to bring 4 additional people. The range isn't really an issue, since there are several watch towers.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
I made the changes to the Fallonese Councilmembers and Flenceburg, on the wiki only. It's so freakin' easy on the wiki, and such a pain to do in the forum. It's important to have the information here, I guess... but dang it. There's got to be a better way.

I discovered Bran Brekkle, the Orussus Watch-Captain, who is L12. He could drop, I think, but not too much. He's the watch-captain, after all, and I'm betting he's had a lot of low-level encounters with criminals.

The Orussus Watch is disconcertingly powerful. They're known to have mages that can teleport themselves + 4 warriors all over town. Dimension door is the lowest level teleportation spell, and it requires CL 12th to bring 4 additional people. The range isn't really an issue, since there are several watch towers.
Actually, in two hours, Flenceburg shall be destroyed (Ooh, I love saying that--it feels like being an evil overlord).

As for the Watch, I remember an argument about how incredibly cheesy, silly, and Big Brother the Orussus watch is with their crazy teleporting guards who stop all conflicts within one round. I think it's silly and pointless, but unfortunately it has been used before. For the Watch Captain, remember that you stop getting XP for low-level criminals eventually, plus the job eventually gets to be mostly paperwork while the regular guards do the fighting. 9th or 10th should be more than enough.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
Actually, in two hours, Flenceburg shall be destroyed (Ooh, I love saying that--it feels like being an evil overlord).
Oh. ... I changed my mind, I don't want to obliterate it! I withdraw my proposal! =P I much prefer KO's suggestion: changing the word "archmage" to "domain wizard". Our goal here is not to eradicate unused cities (if we did that, Rivenblight would be up for destruction, too!), it's to slash the levels on high NPCs.

Rystil Arden said:
As for the Watch, I remember an argument about how incredibly cheesy, silly, and Big Brother the Orussus watch is with their crazy teleporting guards who stop all conflicts within one round. I think it's silly and pointless, but unfortunately it has been used before. For the Watch Captain, remember that you stop getting XP for low-level criminals eventually, plus the job eventually gets to be mostly paperwork while the regular guards do the fighting. 9th or 10th should be more than enough.
Let's go with 9th on the watch-captain (who, by the way, is Frandeth, not Brekkle, my bad). He's currently fighter 9/weapon master of longsword 3. Which doesn't make sense, because we haven't passed the weapon master. I think it would be great for him to be a ventrid swordsman, one of our custom classes. So I propose Fighter 4/Ventrid Swordsman 5.

And I remember Pbartender expressing regret that he used the Watch like that. But it's far too late now, I know of several times that the Watch have teleported to the scene (including the time I had them do it). It does add some flavor to the city, I think. The best response time in the world! Silly, I don't think so. Cheesy... debatable. Big Brother... yeah, I guess so. Though they aren't magically observing all the time, they just teleport over once something is reported. Maybe there's a mythal over Orussus. =P Or maybe they have magic items, or infinite spell trigger items. Spell trigger, would that be effective in decreasing the level of the Watch-mages?

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
Oh. ... I changed my mind, I don't want to obliterate it! I withdraw my proposal! =P I much prefer KO's suggestion: changing the word "archmage" to "domain wizard". Our goal here is not to eradicate unused cities (if we did that, Rivenblight would be up for destruction, too!), it's to slash the levels on high NPCs.

Bwahaha, too late--technically by strict LEW rules, the proposal passed before you could withdraw it! :]

More seriously, I guess you could. It probably doesn't matter.

Or maybe they have magic items, or infinite spell trigger items. Spell trigger, would that be effective in decreasing the level of the Watch-mages?

Yeah, maybe 1 Eternal Wand equivalent per tower. It's hella expensive (22400 per tower, but it can give them infinite Dimension Doors (though Dimension Door doesn't really go very far--maybe they can't go anywhere in the city but can instead just go Dimension Door range from the towers, but there's one that close to the RDI?).

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Actually, for CL 12th, it'd be 36000gp, and that's without the "eternal" ability. Is that SRD? I've never heard of it. What if the watchtowers are remnants of the last occupants (Minotaurs?), and they each have some ancient magic that can be harnessed by mages to teleport short distances (in game terms, a spell trigger DD centered on each watchtower).

It makes a lot of sense for the mages to be casting DD from the towers. That nerfs their ability somewhat, and it also means that there's a great reason for having that watch tower right in the middle of the High District.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
Actually, for CL 12th, it'd be 36000gp, and that's without the "eternal" ability. Is that SRD? I've never heard of it. What if the watchtowers are remnants of the last occupants (Minotaurs?), and they each have some ancient magic that can be harnessed by mages to teleport short distances (in game terms, a spell trigger DD centered on each watchtower).

It makes a lot of sense for the mages to be casting DD from the towers. That nerfs their ability somewhat, and it also means that there's a great reason for having that watch tower right in the middle of the High District.
It's not in the SRD, but it's an item, so we can do whatever we want, as usual with items. Eternal costs 16/15 as much as usual and works 3/day instead of 50 charges.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Rystil Arden said:
Yeah, maybe 1 Eternal Wand equivalent per tower. It's hella expensive (22400 per tower, but it can give them infinite Dimension Doors (though Dimension Door doesn't really go very far--maybe they can't go anywhere in the city but can instead just go Dimension Door range from the towers, but there's one that close to the RDI?).

Couldn't they be using Enlarge Spell on the Dimension Door?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases