NPCs and Levels in LEW

Rystil Arden

First Post
El Jefe said:
Er, none of that is true. The Watch generally doesn't (and, except in extraordinary circumstances, can't) teleport anywhere. They did stop a conflict in a single round, but there were many extenuating circumstances. First, they were in the neighborhood to start with. Second, the conflict had been brewing inside the Red Dragon for some time, and Joe was able to tip off the watch (as far as we all know, by magical means). Third, the patrol had a single low (very low!) level mage who had memorized Sleep. Fourth, both of the combatants were first level, and one was a halfling and the other human...no sleep immunity.

In that instance, the watch was played somewhat deliberately in munchkin fashion to put down PvP with overwhelming force. But given the circumstances, it didn't take much force at all to be overwhelming.
Ah, interesting--for some reason I remembered differently and so did Rae. Odd.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
I distinctively remember the guard teleporting. Aha! Here it is:

Pbartender said:
OOC: Another miracle of modern magic. A message from Joe, and a teleport from the town guard HQ to the Red Dragon Inn, and you've got instant police service.

It was more like a 30 second response time. Joe tipped them off while you were all still back in the bar.
This threw me off:

Pbartender said:
...a squad of town guards come striding purposefully up the street. They must have already been on their way.
So! We have at least one instance of A) magical communication from a business owner to the guard and B) short range teleportation of five watchmen (four guards and one mage).

In my Pie Parade, an escaped criminal also managed to incur the Watch's teleportation magic. I also had four guards and one mage. Admittedly, I didn't look up the rules because there was already precedent. So that's two instances.

Can anybody think of any others? If those are the only two, it's a pretty rare occurrence. I doubt that many prisoners manage to escape, and the patrons of the RDI are mostly peaceable. However, I'll bet that if Joe has trouble with adventurers, the Watch is quick to act because adventurers are notorious in cities for their hot tempers and uncontrolled power.

Perhaps at some point in the recent past, some adventurers got out of hand and destroyed a building or something, so the City Council commissioned the creation of an emergency teleportation device, only to be used in extreme circumstances. It could have severe limitations on its uses (once per week, per month?), and perhaps require several mages' energies to fuel it (Circle Magic with a focus).

Like I said, the item is only used in emergencies, when immediate response is necessary. The RDI, though a huge source of income (adventurers spend a lot of money!), is also a curse, and when adventurers get out of hand, they can do a lot of damage in a short amount of time. And subduing an escaped convict is extremely important: Gotta keep the population's faith in the prisons up and the prisoners morale low (so they don't try to escape).

How does that sound?

El Jefe

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
I distinctively remember the guard teleporting.
I must have read through that thread at least 3 times in one form or another and missed that. Nice catch!
Rae ArdGaoth said:
This threw me off:
And that's what I remembered, too.
Rae ArdGaoth said:
Like I said, the item is only used in emergencies, when immediate response is necessary. The RDI, though a huge source of income (adventurers spend a lot of money!), is also a curse, and when adventurers get out of hand, they can do a lot of damage in a short amount of time. And subduing an escaped convict is extremely important: Gotta keep the population's faith in the prisons up and the prisoners morale low (so they don't try to escape).

How does that sound?
That's sounds fine, although I'd add that the limitation on use is probably more a matter of limited resources (cost of recharge) than anything else.

orsal

LEW Judge
So the only explicit reference to teleportation is an OOC comment? In that case, I think if we have a more economically reasonable way to interpret the events, we should. Just because Pbartender is the DM who made it happen doesn't mean that he knows exactly what happened. ;)

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
orsal said:
So the only explicit reference to teleportation is an OOC comment? In that case, I think if we have a more economically reasonable way to interpret the events, we should. Just because Pbartender is the DM who made it happen doesn't mean that he knows exactly what happened. ;)
Well... thanks to me, now we can't. Because I had a team of 1 mage + 4 guards teleport right in front of a group of PCs. :heh:

Rathan

First Post
heh.... alrighty.. I don't have a problem 'forgetting' that ever happened Rae... mostly because I don't even remember it happening at all.. there was so much going on at the time I just remember one guard chasing down the criminal heh... I don't think the issue will be that big a deal to those present if it... 'never seemed to happen' or.. *handwave* 'it now happened this way' heh

- Rathan

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases