First Post
Rod of Deafening
Price (Item Level): 2,800 gp (7th)
Body Slot: -
Caster Level: 5th
Aura: Faint (DC 10) transmutation
Activation: Use
Weight: -

The rod is actually shaped like a recorder, with a mouthpiece and holes for playing, and it is quite functional as such, offering a +2 competence bonus on relevant perform checks. However, it is most effectively used when casting targeted spells.

3/day when the user casts a single target spell he can opt to do so as a full round action and use the rod’s powers: the target must also make a Fortitude save, in addition to any save granted by the spell, at the same DC as the spell being cast. If the save is failed, the target is deafened for 1d4+2 rounds. Use this way requires a DC 10 Perform (wind instrument) check, but if the check fails, the use is not wasted.

The original version didn't have the restriction on it, but I think it adds flavor without being too much of a drawback. Honestly, I've never thought too much of the deafened condition in terms of power (unless you fight lots of spellcasters), so I could easily see the price dropping on this one. I think it makes a nice item for a bard focusing on offensive spells.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Hand-wrappings of the Vicious Blast
Price (Item Level): 3,000 gp (7th)
Body Slot: Hands
Caster Level: 3rd
Aura: Faint (DC 10) evocation
Activation: Use

These thin hand wrappings are a deep black.

When worn by someone with the eldritch blast ability, these wrappings allow that person to increase its power in exchange for their own health. Whenever the eldritch blast is used, the wearer can elect to increase its damage by +1d6 damage. However, when doing so, the wearer also takes 1d6 damage as well.

I love the Vicious weapon ability, but +2d6 on eldritch blast would probably be too much, so I elected for a 1:1 ratio, especially considering this one is used at range. Combine with baneful blast and a wand of lesser vigor for fun.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Staff of Planar Dominance

The Staff of Planar Dominance is a +2 quarterstaff. It also has the following properties.

The staff operates as a runestaff with the following spells:

• 1st – resist planar alignment
  • 2nd – portal alarm
  • 3rd – analyze portal
  • 4th – attune form
  • 5th – planar tolerance
  • 6th – interplanar telepathic bond
  • 7th – planar bubble
  • 8th – greater plane shift
  • 9th – planar perinarch

In addition, the wielder can make use of one of the following metamagic feats that Drakeheart had on one spell per day (Repeat, Chain, Fortify, Transdimensional, or Twin). This must be used when preparing spells if the caster normally prepares spells.

Once per day the caster can use Drakeheart's caster level instead of his own, casting a spell at a CL of 25. However, doing so comes at a price. The caster must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + the difference in caster levels) or die due to the magical strain being placed on his body. Even if the caster survives, he is paralyzed for 2d4 rounds with no saving throw (immunity does not apply to this effect) and takes 1d6 Intelligence damage and 1d6 Constitution damage (instead use Charisma if the caster has no Constitution).

The Staff of Planar Dominance is an Intelligent Staff

Alignment: Neutral
Intelligence: 24
Wisdom: 18
Charisma: 12
Languages: Planar Common, Abyssal, Celestial, Infernal, Terran, Ignan, Aquan, Auran
Communication: Speech, Telepathy
Capabilities: Four lesser powers and three greater powers
Senses: 120 ft. darkvision, blindsense, and hearing
Ego: 27

Lesser Powers
  • Item has 15 ranks in Knowledge (arcana) (+22)
  • Item has 15 ranks in Knowledge (the planes) (+22)
  • Item has 15 ranks in Knowledge (religion) (+22)
  • Item has 15 ranks in Spellcraft (+22)
Greater Powers
  • Item can cast dimensional anchor 1/day (DC 21)
  • Item can cast dismissal 1/day (DC 22)
  • Item can cast greater dispel magic 1/day (CL 10)

Background:

This is an artifact in my campaign. The mage was the ruler of an ancient demiplane of his own device. However that demiplane slowly fell into corruption and the mage was trapped there, obsessed with returning it to the state it had been when he first created it. Eventually, he died there, but his obsession left him unable to pass on to the afterlife. Instead, his spirit latched onto his powerful staff that he always carried with him, his staff of planar dominance.

Eventually, the PCs came upon the demiplane and found a way to escape. Drakehart, having long since given up on regaining his creation and wanting only to see the multiverse again after centuries of containment, decided to join them, finally escaping. He is commanding and looks down on those with less knowledge than he, highly narcissistic. He has a tendency to speak up at precisely the wrong time. If it weren't for the power that he offered the PCs and the information he could supply them with at times, he would probably have outlived his usefulness.

For those not familiar with a runestaff, it is a staff which doesn't have charges. Instead, the wielder can cast the spells of the staff by giving up their own prepared spells. In this way the staff never runs out of spells and the wielder can only make use of spells of a level that he or she can cast.

With this staff, I mixed always useful abilities with a last ditch only-if-I'm-already-dead ability. I love those last minute abilities, but unless the PC has some incentive to carry it around all the time, then it will just rot away as the PC will probably never actually use that last ditch thing anyway, and they know it.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Bracers of the Mage
Price (Item Level): 15,000 gp (14th)
Body Slot: Arms
Caster Level: 15th
Aura: Moderate (DC 20) transmutation
Activation: varies

These bracers are made of bone, crafted into armlets with arcane runes carved around them with gold and silver inlays around the rims.

When worn these bracers give a +3 armor bonus to AC, a +2 insight bonus to all intelligence checks and intelligence-based skill checks, and a +2 competence bonus to caster level checks.

In addition the wearer can use any arcane cantrips prepared or known as a spell-like ability 5/day.

Last edited:

ThirdWizard

First Post
Aura Dampener
Price (Item Level): 1,000 gp (4th)
Body Slot: Throat
Caster Level: 5th
Aura: Faint (DC 10) abjuration
Activation: -

These items come in many shapes and sizes, but most are worn around the neck in some way, a necklace or amulet being the most common. They rarely have anything in common beyond this, for this could give away their use to those observant enough to notice.

This particular specimen is a necklace of gold and silver intertwined with a small locket on the end. Inside the locket is a shimmering emerald, hidden from normal view.

Spell effects affecting the wearer are difficult to detect. This does not extend to magical items or spell effects on items worn, but only to effects directly cast onto the wearer. Anyone attempting to discern any magical auras on the wearer must succeed at caster level check (DC 15) in order to succeed.

There exist more powerful versions of this item with higher caster levels. The DC for the caster level check in these cases is 10 + caster level of the item. So, an aura dampener with a caster level of 10 would require a DC 20 caster level check to detect any magical auras affecting the subject.

Last edited:

AnonymousOne

First Post
I love those braces of the mage... totally beast. ... so beast I'm wondering if they are a little unbalancing....

EDIT: is that text on cantrips to imply that EVERY cantrip can be used an additional 5x per day before a wizard ever dips into his prepared spells?

ThirdWizard

First Post
AnonymousOne said:
I love those braces of the mage... totally beast. ... so beast I'm wondering if they are a little unbalancing....

EDIT: is that text on cantrips to imply that EVERY cantrip can be used an additional 5x per day before a wizard ever dips into his prepared spells?

It's meant to be 5/day total for all prepared/known cantrips. I'll work on the wording to make it clearer.

It is worth pointing out, however, that pre-MIC I priced these higher at 22,000 gp, which the MIC puts at a 15th level item, one level higher. I lowered the price because of the MIC changing the way stacking abilities on items works. However, if you want these kinds of bonuses to be more rare, I would recommend keeping the original pricing in that case.

AnonymousOne

First Post
One thing you might look at simply to make the Bracers more flexible is to say that the bracers can be imbued with 5 uses per day of X cantrips (pick whichever cantrips you would like) I could see a rogue using things like this for the armor bonus as well as the ability to do some nifty things with spells, especially in the social sphere.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Gauntlets of the Brute
Price (Item Level): 10,000 gp (12th)
Body Slot: Hands
Caster Level: 8th
Aura: Moderate (DC 15) transmutation
Activation: -

This pair of gauntlets is made of bronze, a sword etched in the right hand, and an axe etched in the left hand.

The gauntlets of the brute are a pair of locked gauntlets. Wearing them gives a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength, but a -2 penalty to Dexterity, and a -1 penalty Reflex and Will saves. While wearing these gauntlets, you cannot cast spells.

Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, bull's strength.
Cost to Create: 5,000 gp, 400 XP, 10 days.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases