Gaming W/Jemal - FinalFantasy D&D (Going Again!)

Jemal

Adventurer
**EDIT: Character creation information is scattered through the thread, but most prevalent is Post 93, with the stat system in post 105**

Haloo again, all you gaming fans. Have you ever noticed that most D&D games are vastly different from those video game RPGs? Well, Hold onto your hats, kidos, cuz MR Jemal just had an Epiphany.

You see, i was just in Playing The Game, updating all my posts, and bumping old threads.
When I was done, I counted 12 active games I either DM or play in. Add to that I'm starting my Epic Mortal Kombat game, and that puts me in 13 games.

Now, for the average person, that would be a problem cause it's too much. For me, it's a problem cuz I'm superstitious, and 13's an unlucky number! *ooooh*. SO, the only possible solution is for me to get into another game (As I don't want to quit/kill any). Thus began the idea.

*Well, that's my excuse. The real reason is i just wanna run this, and I told some of my RL friends whome I haven't seen in a while i'd run something on here for if they wanted to join. Thus, 2-4 slots are to be saved for them assuming they show up within a week.
Plus, I've got extra time. Even with my 10 hr work days.*

Now, onto the meat of the Idea :
I want to run a campaign that's similar to Final Fantasy in style. It would include several Archetypes of Heroes, each type with different requirements and bonuses.

The majority of the storyline would be developed around the characters, so there's little background to give you off the bat. It would be a homebrewed world, that we'll make up together, and then i'll DM the story for your characters in this world of our invention.

I'll be posting up more information shortly (Such as the archetypes, etc), but I wanted to get this done first to show what I'm thinking so people can post questions/responses/interest/comments/whatever.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Archetypes:

*Swordsman/Main Character:
So usually the main character is a Swordsman. Sometimes he's got magic, sometimes he doesn't, but hs main deal is "Swordsman".
Requirements: In THIS game, what that means is that your character must be a primary skilled fighter-type wielding a sword.
Must be Human, must be good Hearted (Though can be neutral aligned to start, so long as Good wins out eventually)
Benefits: Extra level or 2.

*Best Friend/Relative:
The Main Character has a best friend or relative (brother/sister/cousin) travelling with him and helping to watch his back.
Requirement: Good aligned, Close relation to Main Character, Devoted to main Character
Benefits: To Be Determined

Love Interest 1 & 2:
One or Two women who're interested in the main character romanticaly.
Requirements: Female, good looking, interested romantically in main character, mostly good (Or willing to reform).
Benefits: To Be Determined

Rich Person:
A rich person who, for one reason or another, ends up adventuring with the party.
Requirements: Must dress+Act like a rich person
Benefits: Gets extra money, though some of it must be kept in the 'bank'(not spend on starting equipment)

Black Mage:
A mage-type who specializes in Offense
Requirements: Serious magical damage-dealing potential
Benefits: EXTRA Serious magical damage-dealing potential

White Mage:
A Priest-type who specializes in healing + defense
Requirements: Lots of healing + Party Defense spells. Good.
Benefits: Extra Healing powers.

Criminal:
A criminal (Or former criminal) with ties to the underworld.
Requirements: Criminal record, ranks in numerous criminal skills.
Benefits: Underworld Contacts.

*Face:
The face of the party, either royalty/celebrity, or just someone who's good with people.
Requirements: Lots of non-combat Social skills.
Benefits: bonuses in Social Situations.

Mascot:
The creature/Freak/pet that travels with the party. It/he/she is in Intelligent, but NOT normal.
Requirements: Not humanoid.
Benefits: Not Humanoid. Possibly reduced/No LA on certain creatures. Could pick a normally unintelligent or unplayable creature.

Other:
Suggestions are acceptable!

Anything with a * beside it means I WILL have one of each (main character, bestfriend/relative, and Face). I plan on having 6-8 players, so that leaves at least 3 'other' slots to fill.

For now All I want is Character concepts, including slot you wish to fill, and HOW. Level will be decided AFTER the party is picked, so we can get down to the char. creation quickly and efficiently at that point. If you're worried about level to figure out your character, then here's a bit of an idea: Starting will be between 6 and 12. If the campaign goes as I hope, you'll end up Epic.

Available books for Races/classes will be Core+Complete. I may allow prestige classes/feats/etc from outside on case by case basis.

Also, i will NOT be allowing evil character concepts for this game. We want Heroes (Or at worst, Batman-like antiheroes).

Will add more & Answer questions (if any) tommorow. Seeya later.

G

Guest 11456

What information are you looking for in character concepts?

Is it OK if we give multiple concepts and/or multiple archetypes?

Swordsman/Main Character - Definately a fighter with all those bonus feats. Probably uses a greatsword and has the usual feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical, Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brother Allard

First Post
This looks interesting, but it's hard for me to pitch concepts without having at least a vague idea of level of PCs. The sorts of concepts I might pitch for level 4 would be pretty drastically different than they would be at, say, 14.

Nevermind. You already addressed this. It would seem that I'm dumb.

Arkhandus

First Post
Interesting and neat.

I'd probably go for the relative/best friend archetype or the mascot archetype.

I'm thinking either a warrior-mage role or an engineer/tinker/gunman/alchemist sort, if playing the former, someone who could stand beside his buddy in the thick of things and fight back-to-back, but would usually rather blast away from a distance at the most opportune targets when he can. Maybe.

For the latter archetype, I figure something similar to a moogle or suchlike, being a small, strange little guy that likes trouble, and owes the main character for saving or helping it earlier. In D&D terms, probably a grig, shocker lizard, or Awakened cat. A roguish, bardic, or warrior-mage type most likely.

Alternatively, my mascot character could be a an Awakened panther (leopard), or an unusually smart and mild-tempered krenshar (their Int is normally 6, so they could actually have up to a 14 Int naturally), advanced enough in HD to be Large perhaps, before advancing in something like Barbarian, Fighter, or Ranger. The loyal traveling companion or guard dog of a friendly PC, who they've chosen to stick around with for whatever reason.

Thaedrus

First Post
Other books possible?

This may be heresey, but I have never played FF, would this be a problem? Would you consider allowing Bo9S? I have wanted to play a Jade Pheonix Mage for a while, and I think that I could fill the Main, best friend/relative, criminal, or swordsman/gish role.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Theres no need to tell you that this cought my attention indeed.
Voda wants!
I was thinking on a black mage... the type you allways have to protect because it gets killed in one blow ,Ha. From what I have played these mage didnt have thousands of spells, thouse character usually shoted a ray of some type of energy that blow all in little pices, so I guess a blaster warlock would be the right choice.
Yes a warlock definitly, I have still to decide the race...

With the archetype theres always the bad guy that join the group and end being a good guy. Like Vegeta =P

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases