Psionics Lovers: Hyperconscious/Untapped Potential Discussion

Nonlethal Force

First Post
No, this thread isn't about me receiving telepathic help from you all.

Actually, this thread is about me ordering a new book. My birthday is coming, and I was contemplating purchasing another good psionics book. I hated COmplete Psionics, so please don't suggest that one. [Poorly edited, disliked the flavor of the base classes, PrCs were vanilla, need I say more?]

I've heard a lot about Hyperconscious, by Bruce Cordell. But, I have two questions.

First, the title of the book says "An adventure sourcebook for 7th level characters." Is that Cordell's way of saying that this book is primarily about prestige classes, feats, and higher level powers - or do I have the wrong book? [The ISBN of the book I was looking at was 1588469956]

Second, for those who have the book and love it, what is so good about it? Assuming that I have the right book, why is it so highly recommended?

If anyone feels like suggesting other psionics books, please feel free to explain alternate suggestions, too!

As hong said in another thread,

ADVAthanksNCE!

EDIT: I altered the thread title to reflect the discussion below regarding Untapped Potential. Any testimonials about how that product has been helpful (or not) are also welcome!

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The book being an "adventure sourcebook" means that it's an adventure as well as a sourcebook. Of its 160 pages, about thirty are devoted to a psionic adventure. The rest of the book gives new crunch; feats, powers, items, monsters, prestige classes, etc.

The book is quite excellent, MUCH better than Complete Psionic by far. For one thing, this reintroduces psionic combat, which 3.5 eliminated, and much improves it. I also thought that the other new crunch here was quite a bit better than the stuff in CP, though don't ask me to go into detail - it just felt better, from a coolness standpoint.

Also, if you're looking for more top-notch psionics material, check out Dreamscarred Press. They're a company that only does 3.5 psionics material, and their work is spectacular.

Bacris

First Post
Someone said:
Personally, I prefer Untapped potential to Hyperconscious.

Posts like this make me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Regarding Hyperconscious - there are actually two versions - the adventure, and the adventure sourcebook. One is JUST the adventure, while the other is the adventure plus a bunch of extra stuff (creatures, items, feats, PrCs, powers, etc).

Hyperconscious has some great stuff in it, but it does have a very strong tie to dreaming, which the adventure is all based around, so it makes sense. Some of the material inside doesn't work if you don't incorporate the Dark Plea from the adventure (although you might be able to incorporate the Eberron fluff to work with it...).

It also has some "wtf" items - such as permanent ability damage powers, psionic necromancy, etc - and it also has some GREAT material - such as psicrystal staves, a non-broken persistent power feat, etc.

I use material in it pretty frequently with my characters, but, as with most sourcebooks, there is a lot I don't. The 3.0 0-level powers that were straight-converted to 1st level powers without any upgrade in utility, for example.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Bacris said:
Posts like this make me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Okay, so due to the plug above for Untapped Potential by Someone ... I went to the online store to check it out. I notice that it can be puchased as part of a bundle for a decent price. Any chance at a bit of a promotional sales pitch to help push me to Dreamscarred Press works? [Not looking for freebies, just so everyone knows. I was looking for testimonials as to why the book is good.]

Also, thanks for the heads up on the dream related content to Hyperconscious. I had forgotten about that when I had picked up the book a few years ago and skimmed through it. I'm not really keen on the dream related stuff. (I also don't do Eberron, so even that won't really help.)

Last edited:

Deekin

Adventurer
If you don't like the Dreamstuff, you would be better going with Untapped Potential. It's got roughtly the same amount of material as a Complete X- 3 base classes, Bunch of feats, PRCs, ,powers, psionic items, and a few monsters. It also has racial sub-levels and Racial Paragon classes.

All in all, it's a more useful book than Hyperconsious.

Solarious

Explorer
Untapped Potential was developed in response to Complete Psionic's Complete Suckness, by members of WotC's Psionics boards, by several of the most ardent and talented psionics supporters, who apparently approached each other spontaneously and desided to show WotC how a real psionics book could be written. They coined it Madness as a code name and randomly shouted MADNESS in red bold font when posting to mystify and confuse people.

The truth of these statements can be seen in the quality of Untapped Potential. It really is a great book... aside from the hideous artists they hired to create the art for the print version. Then again, they were on a tight budget... but those pictures... they scar my soul....

Top notch PrCs that don't suck in general, but aren't terribly overpowered either. Great powers, from the Nomad love to the Astral Juggernaught. Retooled shapechanging powers. Crystalics, psionicly active grafts (although there isn't enough, IMO). Two new base classes, paragons for the XPH races, and varient psion and wilder. Good feats, with a new Mantra subtype.

All in all, very much worth a simple $5 purchase. Despite the soul-scarring pictures. :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases