4 player 1st level character standard vs. 1 4th level character

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I am considering DMing some adventures on the side - 1 on 1 advetures. Here is my thought: in doing this I could allow the character to start off at level 4 with all the benefits thereof in lieu of no other supporting characters. I was also thinking that because of this I'd allow the character to have the maximum hit points possible for 4 HD.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? The adventure I'm thinking of running is Wreck Ashore.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Solo adventurers have two serious weaknesses: a lack of available options and dearth of actions in combat. You can compensate for the former by making a gestalt character, but the latter is a bit harder to deal with in D&D. A mechanically-simple companion can help quite a bit. For example, I gave my solo player a loyal warforged dog to keep her from getting outnumbered as easily.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I once ran a whole 1-to-1 campaign for a PC (single classed ranger), which went from 1st to about 6th level in 1e and it was HUGE fun.

I wouldn't recommend changing anything - perhaps start the PC at 2nd level so they've got a little more staying power and variation.

You set the encounters, so it is easy for you to give them appropriately challenging encounters (plus of course it is an unbeatable opportunity for some quality role-playing)

Cheers

RedFox

First Post
blargney the second said:
Solo adventurers have two serious weaknesses: a lack of available options and dearth of actions in combat. You can compensate for the former by making a gestalt character, but the latter is a bit harder to deal with in D&D. A mechanically-simple companion can help quite a bit. For example, I gave my solo player a loyal warforged dog to keep her from getting outnumbered as easily.

You might not even need a gestalt build, with the right (read: tailor-suited) adventures. If the PC's a fighter, then don't throw traps or magic puzzles at her, and that sort. Gestalt is probably the easier solution, of course.

As for the dearth of actions; that's a good observation. Would it rectify the situation to give the PC four standard and move actions, every round?

Najo

First Post
Your main problem is going to be being out numbered and having trouble with flanking, attacks of opportunity, dealing with encounters that require teamwork style approaches and so on. Instead of throwing things out of whack by giving the character more actions, just divide the EL by four, then scale your monsters and treasure to match and it should work fine. If they need support from time to time, allow a npc to aid here and there with the appropriate skills, just don't over do it or have the npcs steal the lime light at all.

GlassJaw

Hero
If you use the sum of the squares/Grim Tales/Wulf method, the single 4th-level PC greatly outpowers the 4 1st-level characters:

4^2 = 16
(1^2)*4 = 4

However, any CR/EL system doesn't do well in taking into account multiple opponents. Just be very careful. If you think something might be too difficult, it probably is. I would also try to give the player more options than combat to overcome challenges.

Also, depending on the style of game you plan on running, maybe it's ok if the player will get overwhelmed in combat. I recommend checking out the Thief video game series. You want to avoid combat as much as possible.

Ry

Explorer
What I'd do: Gestalt, and give the player 2 initiative dice. He gets an extra Standard action on the second die, because he's the star of the show.

mcrow

Explorer
I would just have him/her roll up a 4th level character. Divide the EL by four to choose beasties. Give them 4-5 extra skill points and disregard cross-classed rules.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
blargney the second said:
Solo adventurers have two serious weaknesses: a lack of available options and dearth of actions in combat.

And 25% of potential targets for opponents.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases