[OWC PR] Fight The Man!

HyrumOWC

First Post
OWC is proud to announce its first d20 Modern release, "Solid!: The D20 Blaxploitation Experience." Solid! allows players to game in a genre with soul, R 'n' B and disco music soundtracks, characters sporting big guns, big dashikis, outrageous hair, and some of the meanest, baddest attitudes to shoot their way onto a character sheet. Don't let "The Man" get you down, pre-order Solid! today! To check out the cover, visit The Solid! Website at http://www.otherworlds.cx/solid.shtml

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Wow.

Out of curiosity, will a single black person be involved in the creation of this game?

As a bit of unsolicited criticism, I might suggest delving into some research on the movie posters of the era--check out a recently published art book called "TRASH" (just picked it up this weekend), which includes some delicious examples of blaxploitation film posters. A cover that emulates the typography and graphic style of classic blaxploitation posters from the 60s and 70s would probably sell your game MUCH better than the cover you've got on your site.

It'll be expensive, sure, but I'd guess you'd be much more likely to recoup the investment with a "dead-on" cover than with something that frankly looks like 65% of the d20 products on the market.

Hope you aren't offended by the suggestion. Just trying to be helpful.

A blaxploitation game cover without an afro and a hot African American mamma seems somehow empty to me. :) If you can compare the two, so much the better.

--Erik

Last edited:

King_Stannis

Explorer
i agree that the cover should ape some of those classic movie posters for early 70's blaxploitation films. the "power to the people" fist doesn't do it for me.

sounds interesting, though.

incidentally, erik, does it matter if there's a black person involved in the game design?

Last edited:

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
d20 Blaxploitation!?! SHUT YO MOUTH!!!

FYI, on Wednesday August 14th at 10 PM Eastern, the Independent Film Channel will be airing the new documentary BaadAsssss Cinema by filmmaker and Harvard African American Studies professor Isaac Julien.

Also, if you live in the NYC area or will be visiting, The American Museum of the Moving Image (in Astoria Queens) will be airing the 1971 blaxpoitation film Sweet Sweetback's BaadAssss Song on Sunday, August 18th at 2 pm. The movie's tagline was "Rated X by an All-White Jury". The museum's website is:

http://www.ammi.org

So why is a d20 horror guy so down with the blaxploitation experience? You'll just have to rent these two great Blaxploitation horror classics to find out: Blacula and Sugar Hill.

JPL

Adventurer
Erik Mona said:
Wow.

Out of curiosity, will a single black person be involved in the creation of this game?

Me, I'd feel better about the product (at this early stage in the game) if I knew that at least one black person had found it inoffensive.

I figure a product like this must walk a pretty fine line. A bunch of white nerds (like myself) sitting around a table pretending to be Shaft is somehow more unnerving than, say, the same group playing Feng Shui and pretending to be Jet Li.

And here's why: blaxploitation has its camp aspects (outdated fashion and slang always does), but it also has a very serious side. Some of the better films in the genre were tackling the heavy issues of the day.

On the other hand, take Thunderball Rally. I always think of "Smokey and the Bandit" and the rest as sort of "hicksploitation" films --- truckers and Southerners were caricatured. But as far as I know, these movies did not have a message. So I say, play the game and laugh it up.

So...are we looking at a Pimp prestige class here? How about a Ho prestige class? Or will this game also address some of the real social issues (racism, the Black Power movement, urban crime) underlying the genre?

Speaking again as a white nerd --- is this just going to be a white nerd's vision of being cool and black?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases