Notes on the Aether (Rae judging)

Wik

First Post
OOC: I'm going to assume Tarag shares a room with Galwynn. Because we're both thrifty. And Keldar and Tommy get along so well. Also, I'm assuming some things about my fellow adventurers, but I think it all makes sense.

When Galwynn awakes, he finds he's laughing. Blinking in the sun (he's a little hungover, apparently), he runs a hand through tussled hair, and smiles.

"I guess you're not all bad, Halina." He mutters. An early riser, he does his best not to wake the dwarf, but it doesn't seem to be working. He never could keep quiet.

Still chuckling, but quietly, he plays with his nose. "So, what's the sign? 'get ready for a mudbath?' Or maybe I shouldn't take myself so seriously? Believe me, I've understood that one - you beat it over my head when you stuck me with the thie... er, Keldar."

Galwynn grabs his sword, and throws on a shirt he had tossed on the floor. Buckling on his breeches, he goes to check up on his charges. Halina had put him here to take care of them, after all.

Tiptoeing down the hall, he is still making far too much noise. Both Tarag and Rapture would be up soon, no doubt, but it looks like Tommy and Keldar were going to be out for a while.

Peering in on their room, Tommy is asleep on his books and still dressed. He'd been studying for far too long; Galwynn didn't understand Tommy at all. And Keldar is face down on his bed, out cold.

"Bucket of cold water?" he asks quietly, listening for a moment. "Please? Ah, you're no fun."

He makes his way downstairs, and the inn is silent. Walking out into the courtyard, Galwynn makes his early morning prayers, and then runs through his sword exercises.

Both Rapture and Tarag are up by now. Galwynn goes to the kitchen, and starts up an early morning meal. His dream put him in a remarkably good mood, and when he heads upstairs balancing five plates, he has to stop himself from whistling one of Keldar's tunes. He places the plates outside of each door, and makes his way back to his room.

"Good morning, Tarag. Did you sleep well?" He asks, completely out of character.

Damn Halina for making him feel good. In a few hours, something - or many somethings - will be trying to break his ribs. And that tends to take the fun out of things.

Boddynock

First Post
Wik said:
"Good morning, Tarag. Did you sleep well?"
"Ah, Galwynn my friend, I did indeed."

Tarag sits up, yawns prodigiously and stretches until his joints pop. Then he rolls out of bed, crosses the room and plunges his hands into the water bowl, spluttering and snorting as he splashes water over his face. Turning to the paladin as he dries his face and hands on the towel provided, he says, "I'm much refreshed - and I've worked out how to do the detailing on the furniture of Keldar's rapier, should he ever order it from me."

Noting Galwynn's grin, the cleric says, "I don't need to ask if you slept well. You seem in a grand humour!"

Then he pauses for a moment in thought before grinning himself, and saying, "And I've just worked out how we can keep those elementals from jumping us. Come on - let's go and talk to the others!"

When Galwynn explains that the others are still sleeping, he says, "Hmmph. Oh well - it'll keep."

Smelling breakfast, Tarag says, "Food! I'm famished. Let's eat, my friend. And then let's get to work on your wounds. Or would you rather have healing first, and attend to our bellies later?"

"Either way, of course, I'll have to say my prayers."

[sblock=OOC]Tarag has been approved for second level. I hope that means that he's regained 2 hp overnight. And he has another orison and another 1st level spell at his disposal, so everybody should be just fine at the end of the day.

Although, come to think of it, he'll have to keep a spell in reserve to scribe the scroll of CLW today.

Rae, a number of questions.
  • Since we're on an adventure, do the normal rules for scribing scrolls apply?
  • Does the scribing of scrolls on adventure cost Craft Points, or does that only apply when in downtime?
  • Since Thyrin has so kindly supplied parchment and ink, are there any other costs involved in the scribing of scrolls?
  • Can Tarag only scribe one scroll per day?
[/sblock]

Wik

First Post
Galwynn, HP 14/19

OOC: Oh, yeah. This is our day of rest, isn't it? I guess Galwynn will Lay on Hands, then. Goes up 6 HP more.

Galwynn smirks awkwardly at Tarag, and then lifts up his shirt. "Look - the bruising's gone down. Mostly." It's still a mass of purple welts and tender skin - and it'll leave a scar.

"What's the plan? I hope it involves something better than trying to make the wounds on my chest symmetrical."

Last edited:

Boddynock

First Post
Wik said:
"What's the plan? I hope it involves something better than trying to make the wounds on my chest symmetrical."
"Well, we have to do something to make them prettier," Tarag quips and then laughs heartily.

"No. It's just that I'd never really realized that the prayer for protection from evil creatures would also keep summoned creatures and elementals from attacking me. Now I see that it will - which means that if I cast that spell on myself and then go up the stairs first, I will be protected from attack by the creatures. I can then try to subdue them with the might of Chennet' - well, the fire elementals, anyway - and what's more, I'm convinced that I can make them do what I want. I think."

"So if there are fire elementals, I'll be protected from them, and I can put the fear of the god into them, and perhaps even cause them to serve me for a short time. And if there's another earth elemental there, it won't be able to touch me ... and I'll be able to make the fire elementals attack it!"

Tarag has become quite animated as he explains his plan. At the end of it he smiles at Galwynn before throwing himself into a chair and starting in on his breakfast.

[sblock=OOC]I really hadn't realized that Protection from Evil would work against elementals ... and now that Tarag's gone up to 2nd level, he has a chance to dominate fire elementals (if they're only 1 HD). Neat, eh? :D [/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
Keldar stumbles in, looking bleary, and sits at the breakfast table with a pained expression. "Galwynn, Tarag. Couldn't you find any less noisy spoons?"

"Last night, I either made the worst mistake or the best decision of my life. I have no idea which. And this morning I stepped in a bowl of porridge right outside my door. The day can only get better."

Solange

First Post
Rapture finds her way downstairs, following a trail of porridge, while carrying her own. "Ahah, I believe I have tracked a vicious porridge elemental elemental from upstairs. Keldar, it appears to have attacked your leg. Tarag," she says to Tarag, "Do you think he can be saved?"

"And you m'lord," she says to Galwyn, "I assume you are to blame for this summoning?"

She pauses for a moment, and takes on a slightly more serious face, "I"m sorry m'lord Galwynn, what would you rather I call you? I certainly don't mean to be so formal, tis a habit."

Trouvere

Explorer
Solange said:
Rapture finds her way downstairs, following a trail of porridge, while carrying her own. "Ahah, I believe I have tracked a vicious porridge elemental elemental from upstairs. Keldar, it appears to have attacked your leg. Tarag," she says to Tarag, "Do you think he can be saved?"
"I like to think there is still hope," says Keldar, smiling. "A very good morning to you, dear Rapture."
She pauses for a moment, and takes on a slightly more serious face, "I'm sorry m'lord Galwynn, what would you rather I call you? I certainly don't mean to be so formal, tis a habit."
"Oh, I can think of lots of names," Keldar offers. He rises. "Do take my chair. I am going to change back into my travelling clothes. I think I shall take the air, see the remaining sights of Grenton, and visit a tradesman or two, and then spend the rest of the day in idleness. I'd be happy to have company, of course." He holds the chair out for Rapture, and gives her shoulder a light press before he leaves.

After changing, Keldar goes to the common room, where he spies his tankard still sitting on the table, forgotten in the drama of last night. There are two coppers in it. He laughs to himself, and drops them in his money pouch. "Do you know which patrons made this donation?" he asks the tavernkeeper. "Well, I suppose they are regular drinkers here. In a few days, when we are gone, announce that the only reward I need is the knowledge my songs were appreciated, and that they can reclaim their coin, whoever they were." He drops two gold coins into the tankard. "Don't forget to mention my name, loudly - Keldar, Keldar Warbray."

Keldar goes back to rejoin the others, still laughing.

OOC: +2 cp, -2 gp.

covaithe

Explorer
Tommy stays up reading long after the others have retired, trying to decipher Thyrin's writings. At last, having determined that no more information can gleaned without magical assistance, he lowers his head and allows an uneasy sleep to overcome him. His dreams are disturbing, until at last Keldar's unfortunate encounter with a bowl of porridge frees his mind from the trap into which it had stumbled, and he gratefully transfers himself to a bed.

Deliberately sleeping late to get the necessary rest for spell preparation, at last Tommy wakes and immediately prepares enough Read Magic spells to understand the rest of Thyrin's magical writings. When he is satisfied that he understands as much as he can, he carefully stores all of the writings in his pack and goes downstairs to consult with the others.

Boddynock

First Post
Tarag bows as Rapture enters, smiling at her obvious high spirits. Good luck to both these young humans, if they can find joy of one another!

When Keldar makes to leave, he says, "Keldar, wait. First let me have a look at your shoulder. How is it this morning? Do you require the god's blessing?"

"And what about you, sir knight? I know that Halina has graced you with her healing favour. Is there anything I can do to add to that blessing?"

[sblock=OOC]Tarag will reserve one CLW to scribe a scroll. That means he has 2 CLW and 4 CMinW left to offer as healing for the party. Any takers?[/sblock]After breakfast, and any requested healings, Tarag finds a quiet spot near the industrious Tommy, and sets to work scribing a scroll of Cure Light Wounds.

Remove ads