New Jobs

Solnath

First Post
Teacher
Teachers teach both young and old and are horribly underpaid.
Requirements: 4 ranks in Knowledge(any), 4 ranks in Diplomacy, Cha 10+
cp/week: Highest Knowledge modifier multiplied by Diplomacy modifier
Special requirement: Can not be chaotic evil
Special: Must roll DC 10 will save for every week on the job to avoid nervous breakdown.

---

Scribe
Scribes write and read for those who can't or don't have the time to.
Requirements: 4 ranks in Decipher Script, literate, Wis 10+
sp/week: 4 sp multiplied by the character's Decipher Script modifier (no take 10)

Last edited:

orsal

LEW Judge
Bront said:
Are you talking the one written? Or the changes we've been batting around? I think the OP already said she'd change it.

I'm talking about the proposal that the discussion seemed to be settling on: 20 SP plus 3 SP per point of bonus.

It's almost the same as 25 SP plus 2.5 SP per point of bonus. Slightly higher once the performer passes +10, slightly lower before that, but not a big difference. At +6 (e.g. a 1st level character with 14 Cha and max ranks) it's 38 SP as opposed to 40 SP; at +24 (e.g. a 10th level character with max ranks, 18 Cha, Skill Focus, and +3 from various other boosts) it's 92 SP as opposed to 85 SP. For such small differences, it really isn't worth coming up with a whole new formula for the one job -- much less confusing just to use the same formula as every other job.

If you want a unique formula for this one job, it should be because you want to do something substantially different with it. I could consider a proposal that captures the disparities in the SRD chart -- that's got verissimilitude. The flautist with 4 ranks in Perform I see busking in the subway also needs to keep a day job, while anyone in the real world with 4 ranks in Craft can probably make a living, if not a great one, at that trade. However, the best blacksmith in the land enjoys neither the luxuries of the most successful performers nor the reputation to open doors.

When the job system was first being discussed, Knight Otu suggested an entertainer job system that included non-monetary rewards -- reputation, contacts, influence. We didn't include it because the mechanics were too hard to iron out in a persistent world. I think it was a great idea in principle, and if we could figure out how to make the mechanics precise enough to work I'd like it, but I'm not holding out hope for that to be done.

Bront

The man with the probe
Solnath said:
Teacher
Teachers teach both young and old and are horribly underpaid.
Requirements: 4 ranks in Knowledge(any), 4 ranks in Diplomacy,
sp/week: Highest Knowledge modifier multiplied by Diplomacy modifier
Special: Must roll DC 10 will save for every week on the job to avoid nervous breakdown.

---

Scribe
Scribes write and read for those who can't or don't have the time to.
Requirements: 4 ranks in Decipher Script, literate
sp/week: 5 sp multiplied by the character's Decipher Script modifier (no take 10)
With a 10 in Diplomacy and Knowledge, you can earn double a normal job's pay, and it increases way too fast from there. I also don't like the special, while I do appreciate it from a humor stand point, I think we want flat numbers to handle, with no saves and such.

as for scribe, probably a similar problem to the disagrement in performer over differing pay scales or even a slightly different pay rate.

Bront

The man with the probe
orsal said:
I'm talking about the proposal that the discussion seemed to be settling on: 20 SP plus 3 SP per point of bonus.

It's almost the same as 25 SP plus 2.5 SP per point of bonus. Slightly higher once the performer passes +10, slightly lower before that, but not a big difference. At +6 (e.g. a 1st level character with 14 Cha and max ranks) it's 38 SP as opposed to 40 SP; at +24 (e.g. a 10th level character with max ranks, 18 Cha, Skill Focus, and +3 from various other boosts) it's 92 SP as opposed to 85 SP. For such small differences, it really isn't worth coming up with a whole new formula for the one job -- much less confusing just to use the same formula as every other job.

If you want a unique formula for this one job, it should be because you want to do something substantially different with it. I could consider a proposal that captures the disparities in the SRD chart -- that's got verissimilitude. The flautist with 4 ranks in Perform I see busking in the subway also needs to keep a day job, while anyone in the real world with 4 ranks in Craft can probably make a living, if not a great one, at that trade. However, the best blacksmith in the land enjoys neither the luxuries of the most successful performers nor the reputation to open doors.

When the job system was first being discussed, Knight Otu suggested an entertainer job system that included non-monetary rewards -- reputation, contacts, influence. We didn't include it because the mechanics were too hard to iron out in a persistent world. I think it was a great idea in principle, and if we could figure out how to make the mechanics precise enough to work I'd like it, but I'm not holding out hope for that to be done.
Well, here's something different then...

Perform Bonus ^ 2 * 3 or 4 Silver.

Code:
	4 sp	3 sp
Bonus	Pay (GP)	Pay (GP)
1	0.4	0.3
2	1.6	1.2
3	3.6	2.7
4	6.4	4.8
5	10	7.5
6	14.4	10.8
7	19.6	14.7
8	25.6	19.2
9	32.4	24.3
10	40	30
11	48.4	36.3
12	57.6	43.2
13	67.6	50.7
14	78.4	58.8
15	90	67.5
16	102.4	76.8
17	115.6	86.7
18	129.6	97.2
19	144.4	108.3
20	160	120
21	176.4	132.3
22	193.6	145.2
23	211.6	158.7
24	230.4	172.8
25	250	187.5
26	270.4	202.8
27	291.6	218.7
28	313.6	235.2
29	336.4	252.3
30	360	270
31	384.4	288.3
32	409.6	307.2
33	435.6	326.7
34	462.4	346.8
35	490	367.5
36	518.4	388.8
37	547.6	410.7
38	577.6	433.2
39	608.4	456.3
40	640	480

Your Break even point is about 12 for 4 Silver, and 15 for 3 silver.

Solnath

First Post
I think that the point at the moment isn't necessarily making the wages exactly the same, but rather provide different jobs that suit different kind of characters. Also yes, now that you pointed it out, maybe the teachers' pay should be in copper pieces instead of silver. Though historically speaking, scribes had a pretty high wage in medieval times.

Bront

The man with the probe
Solnath said:
I think that the point at the moment isn't necessarily making the wages exactly the same, but rather provide different jobs that suit different kind of characters. Also yes, now that you pointed it out, maybe the teachers' pay should be in copper pieces instead of silver. Though historically speaking, scribes had a pretty high wage in medieval times.
I personaly don't think Scribe is too bad, though I might suggest dropping it to 4 sp just to make the break even point higher than 10 (that pushes it back to 13-14, not a huge problem).

And while I agree we don't need every job to pay the same, they need to be similar enough, particularly around the averages.

Solnath

First Post
A small wonder that I forgot this:

Healer:
The use of medicinal herbs and plants is honed to its finest by healers throughout the world.
Requirements: Heal 4 ranks, Knowledge(nature) 1 rank
sp/week: 3 sp X Heal modifier + 1 sp X Knowledge(nature) modifier

orsal

LEW Judge
Bront said:
And while I agree we don't need every job to pay the same, they need to be similar enough, particularly around the averages.

I take the exact opposite approach. If they're going to be close, they should be the same. Simplicity has merit, and if we abandon it it should be for a discrepancy big enough to be worth having. Bront's proposed quadratic formula for performers is worth consideration on that ground -- I'm going to take a closer look before deciding.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
If we want all the professions to grant the same benefits, why not just make:

A Job
The character does something that others are willing to pay for. It can be anything. Anything at all.
Requirements: At least 4 ranks in any reasonably appropriate skill.
Pay/week: 25 silver + 25 Copper/bonus in relevant skill.

Remove ads