Squires: What if your armor carried itself around?

Asmor

First Post
So just a quick idea I had... It's inspired by anime, in case it's not obvious, and I'm sure that about half of you just decided you hate this on that aspect alone. That's cool, though, different strokes for different folks.

Anyways, here's the idea. Intelligent suits of armor called Squires. Ones for a human stand about as tall as a halfling. On command (and, of course, assuming the squire wants to), the squire can expand and instantly suit someone up.

In essence, the concept of Squires is like a cross between Pokémon and Sailor Moon.

In order to create a squire, first start with a magical suit of armor. When it's in its "squire form," it has stats as an animated object of one size smaller than its intended wearer. For example, a squire for medium creatures is statted as a small animated object. In addition, the squire gains +1 hit die for each +1 bonus (or equivelent) of its enchantment. For example, a +2 Full Plate of Light Fortification gains 3 bonus HD. Also apply the enhancement bonus to armor (but NOT the armor's base armor bonus) and any special abilities to the animated object.

Optionally, squires may have magical weapons associated with them as well. They wield these on their own in squire form. Add bonus HD for the enhancement of the sword just as with the armor. Yes, this means that it'll be easier to get more powerful animated objects... But they're still pretty crappy.

Finally, one more optional component... Every squire is animated by an intelligent elemental, either Earth, Air, Water or Fire. Water beats fire, fire beats air, air beats earth and earth beats water. If two squires, or two people clad in squires, do battle, determine if one beats the other. The strong element's armor enhancement bonus is considered 1 greater against attacks of the weaker element. Similarly, the enhancement bonus on the stronger element's weapon is considered 1 higher against the weaker element.

For example, a fire squire with +2 light fortification armor and a +2 flaming longsword does battle with an air squire. The fire squire's armor is treated as +3 light fort and its weapon as a +3 flaming longsword.

So.... There you have it. Notably lacking is any flavor text or rules for acquiring them. In my own implementation of these (in my mind, for now), they're really more of a roleplaying thing. Depending on preference, they could be pretty common where most people have their own personal squire or they could be rare and only nobles or high ranking military officials would have them. You could even expand them a bit and make it more like Pokemon, where you can go out into the world to find more and keep a small arsenal of them in order to have the right squire for the right situation. FIghting a red dragon? Probably wanna bust out that water squire with the icy mace.

Last edited:

DogBackward

First Post
An interesting concept, and fairly well-executed, as well. All it'd take is a little more tweaking, creating special abilities for certain things. Such as mithral armor with a higher speed, etc...

This works especially with a lighter-hearted, less serious game. And an interestin way to run the "pet-monster" genre with a new twist. You have your Squires battle each-other for normal challenge matches, but if you're actually in a dangerous/unplanned fight, you can go full-bore and smack each-other around a bit while suited up.

All in all, pretty cool idea.

frankthedm

First Post
In essence, the concept of Squires is like a cross between Pokémon and Sailor Moon.
It may be a bad idea to describe it in such a way.

In order to create a squire, first start with a magical suit of armor. When it's in its "squire form," it has stats as an animated object of one size smaller than its intended wearer. For example, a squire for medium creatures is statted as a small animated object. In addition, the squire gains +1 hit die for each +1 bonus (or equivelent) of its enchantment. For example, a +2 Full Plate of Light Fortification gains 3 bonus HD. Also apply the enhancement bonus to armor (but NOT the armor's base armor bonus) and any special abilities to the animated object.
Uhm. Cool idea, but even with bonus stats they are REALLY vulnerable to attacks.

Asmor

First Post
frankthedm said:
It may be a bad idea to describe it in such a way.

Perhaps. The only other things I could think of off the top of my head were Power Rangers, which seemed slightly inappropriate, and Ronin Warriors, which is probably too obscure. As for comparing it to Pokémon... well... Pokémon rocks the casbah (the game, at least... The show used to be decent but now the animation is terrible, the story is repetitive, and the main character's voice actor is absolutely horrible!).

Uhm. Cool idea, but even with bonus stats they are REALLY vulnerable to attacks.

Well, they're supposed to be! These are just little dudes that follow you around, they're not supposed to battle on your behalf but instead when the throw down starts they should be merging with their owner.

An interesting concept, and fairly well-executed, as well. All it'd take is a little more tweaking, creating special abilities for certain things. Such as mithral armor with a higher speed, etc...

Yeah, agreed. Unfortunately I don't think I'm willing to put a lot of work into this right now. :/ It did occur to me that instead of basing it off of animated objects, you could base it off of astral constructs. Give it one ability from menu A for each bonus HD it has, and 2 menu As can be swapped for a menu B item, while two menu B items can be swapped for a menu C. So 4 As swap for a C.

This works especially with a lighter-hearted, less serious game. And an interestin way to run the "pet-monster" genre with a new twist. You have your Squires battle each-other for normal challenge matches, but if you're actually in a dangerous/unplanned fight, you can go full-bore and smack each-other around a bit while suited up.

All in all, pretty cool idea.

Thanks!

Roger

First Post
Hmmm. I'd be inclined to make this some sort of persistent Unseen Servant effect, tied into the armor itself. Strong enough to carry the armor, even if it usually wouldn't be able to, but not able to carry anything else.

For that effect, I'd price it... oh, maybe +500 gp. Maybe less.

Cheers,
Roger

Ferrum

First Post
This seems like a highly valuable effect, to me at least.

Speaking as a fighter who was ambushed while he was sleeping, supposedly safe in his demiplane, the decision to take 10 minutes to suit up in full plate or join battle ASAP was easy to make but hard to live with.

Having a command-activated-instant-suit-up would have meant 10 more ac for me from the start of the battle. Looking at it that way, I'd say its worth more than 500gp.

I'd say unseen servant, mage armor, summon monster I, with probably a static 2500gp cost.

shilsen

Adventurer
Why not just go with the Called armor property? It's in the MIC and has your armor (or shield) appear on you with a command word (as long as it's on the same plane). Costs 2000 gp to add to a suit of armor or a shield.

Asmor

First Post
When I said instant I didn't literally mean instant. :) A full round action, I think, sounds about right. Provokes AoOs.

Also, don't forget that the squires are intelligent. They're not just equipment, they're NPCs in every sense of the term. Pseudo-cohorts, perhaps.

GrandArchon

First Post
Perhaps you could consider them homunculi, and apply the stats for an Iron Defender? Then again, only wizards and artificers can make homunculi, in which case it becomes kind of pointless seeing as they can't wear heavy armor effectively.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases