The Tome of Time (A second book of magic)

Interesting.. I will check in again when you have more.

But the first thing that jumped out at me:

Echo Ability: Calling a fragment of the creature's time to himself, the Echocaller brings one of the creature's Extraordinary abilities, gaining it for one round. The target must be within 5' for every two class levels. This costs one Echo to activate.

I would add the proviso that the Echocaller must have witnessed that creature using the Ex ability in order to pull it to him.

EP

First Post
Link Through Time: The Echocaller and another creature mirror one another's actions, both stepping to the right if one steps to the right, both attacking if one attacks. The Echocaller and the creature exactly mimic the moves of the other. The target gets a Will save vs 10 + Wisdom Modifier + 1/2 Class level to resist. The target must be within 5' for every two class levels when Link Through Time is cast. This costs one Echo to activate.

What is the benefit to this though? Even if the Echocaller can attack at the same time as his target, he's still being attacked. Maybe if the connection is the same but grants the Echocaller a +X bonus to AC and save throws as he can predict the exact actions taken against him using Link Through Time.

There are a couple other abilities similar to this: very cool, but no explained benefit to the Echocaller other than allowing someone who would have been attacked by the target gets a chance to counter with a different move. But in game terms, that just means the attack gets rolled again and everyone can hope the DM rolls a different number. Then again, doesn't that mean that if time is being shifted back, EVERYONE is subject to it? With some benefits on how the Echocaller can use these echoes in battle, it'll give greater purpose to these abilities.

Very cool though.

Last edited:

Stratovarius

First Post
Primitive Screwhead said:
Interesting.. I will check in again when you have more.

But the first thing that jumped out at me:

I would add the proviso that the Echocaller must have witnessed that creature using the Ex ability in order to pull it to him.

The only problem I forsee with that is determining how an Echocaller sees if a passive (Ex) has been used. It would require a rather annoying bit of adjudication/extra rolls to "Spot" if a Chronotyrn uses double actions in a round or something similar. However, its a valid suggestion, and I might make it only activated (Su)/(Ex), cutting down on stealing things like a Skeleton's slashing resistance.

EP said:
Link Through Time: The Echocaller and another creature mirror one another's actions, both stepping to the right if one steps to the right, both attacking if one attacks. The Echocaller and the creature exactly mimic the moves of the other. The target gets a Will save vs 10 + Wisdom Modifier + 1/2 Class level to resist. The target must be within 5' for every two class levels when Link Through Time is cast. This costs one Echo to activate.

What is the benefit to this though? Even if the Echocaller can attack at the same time as his target, he's still being attacked. Maybe if the connection is the same but grants the Echocaller a +X bonus to AC and save throws as he can predict the exact actions taken against him using Link Through Time.

There are a couple other abilities similar to this: very cool, but no explained benefit to the Echocaller other than allowing someone who would have been attacked by the target gets a chance to counter with a different move. But in game terms, that just means the attack gets rolled again and everyone can hope the DM rolls a different number. Then again, doesn't that mean that if time is being shifted back, EVERYONE is subject to it? With some benefits on how the Echocaller can use these echoes in battle, it'll give greater purpose to these abilities.

Very cool though.

Its not a defensive ability, its offensive. I hit a giant with Link Through Time, step 10' to the right. He moves 10' to his right, putting him within reach of his ally, Bob the Bugbear. I full attack. The Giant full attacks. Bob the Bugbear is very, very dead. I'm at least twenty feet away from the Giant. It also makes it very hard for the Giant to try and line me up for an attack, because I shift past him going the other direction most of the time. Does make me open to being shifted around to generate AoOs though. You can also use it to line the hit creature up for an attack from you allies as well. It just rewards smart play, is all.

EP

First Post
Stratovarius said:
Its not a defensive ability, its offensive. I hit a giant with Link Through Time, step 10' to the right. He moves 10' to his right, putting him within reach of his ally, Bob the Bugbear. I full attack. The Giant full attacks. Bob the Bugbear is very, very dead. I'm at least twenty feet away from the Giant. It also makes it very hard for the Giant to try and line me up for an attack, because I shift past him going the other direction most of the time. Does make me open to being shifted around to generate AoOs though. You can also use it to line the hit creature up for an attack from you allies as well. It just rewards smart play, is all.

Ah, that makes sense when explained that way.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases