Monster reprints since MM2?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Have there been any large-scale reprints of monsters from adventures and the like since Monster Manual II included most (or all?) of the original Adventure Path monsters? The only time I can recall WotC doing it since then was the Eberron races appearing in Monster Manual III.

I don't want to buy Expedition to the Demonweb Pits just for the Mirror Mephit (I believe that's the module that includes it), but I'd be open to getting Monster Manual V or VI for it ...

Glyfair

Explorer
BOZ said:
there ought to be! there's a spell compendium, a magic item compendium...

Well, the Monster Manuals have traditionally played that role. The original Fiend Folio had most of the early "new monsters" from the modules (drow, daemons, jermlaine) and Monster Manual 2 caught up with the rest.

We have seen that in the current releases. Many of the monsters that first appeared in DDM made their appearance in the Monster Manuals. Some of the early monsters from adventures worked their way in.

Oreot

Explorer
Doug McCrae said:
There's not been a Monster Compendium yet.

My friends and I were just talking about this like two sessions ago. My DM said he would like to see MMII and maybe Fiend folio in 3.5 flavor. Then we were discussing a monster compendium and how nice it would be to put all the random monsters from the backs of all the "splash" books or whatever you would call them together. There are some nice monsters there but they are scattered over dozens of books. Just toss 'em together, add some new ones and maybe update a monster or two... that would be a great resource book IMO.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Oreot said:
Then we were discussing a monster compendium and how nice it would be to put all the random monsters from the backs of all the "splash" books or whatever you would call them together.
Except that that's a very large number of creatures at this point. Based on a quick count, about 1200 creatures have appeared in 3.0/3.5 D&D books other than the Monster Manuals or Fiend Folio. Even removing the ones from Eberron/Forgotten Realms sources only reduces that total to about 900. Which is about six or seven Monster Manuals!

GQuail

Explorer
Not exactly what you're after, but I know that Frostburn featured monsters originally in Oriental Adventures: the Yeti and the, um, frosty fey thing, Yu-something?

But no, there haven't been major reprints after that. The completists would no doubt throw up their arms at "books being wasted" if the spells, magic items and monsters from them all turn up later on in compendiums, so getting stuff from Sandstorm or Dragon Magic is unliekly: but I'd reallly like it monsters specific to adventures or Dungeon/Dragon articles got a "proper" home. Especially if they're 3.0 monsters who get a conversion, because then even the people who own the old versions can accept there's a benefit to them.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Red Hand of Doom includes the following Spawn of Tiamat:[sblock]Blackspawn Raider
Bluespawn Thunderlizard
Greenspawn Razorfiend
[/sblock]

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd love to see a hardcover compilation (or more) of the "best of the best". If they don't want to do this with future Monster Manuals, bringing back the Monstrous Compendium name seems to make the most sense.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases