A Sojourn in Sairundan [Judge: Manzanita]

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=OOC] "Ceramic or wooden objects with multiple breaks can be invisibly rejoined to be as strong as new" - ahem! Although I suppose that just gets me one plank at a time. I guess it depends metaphysically on whether one object can be defined as "missing bridge section" or "single plank of a bridge". Believe it or not, I actually know a philosophy lecturer whose research is precisely that kind of thing. She's taking a boat apart (in her head, I hope) and discussing for how long it remains a boat. I completely don't understand the point. But Conuld is all for taking the detour, anyhow.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Solange

First Post
Trouvere said:
"I suppose we will have to go around," says Conuld. "If I could get down to the river near to where the fragments of the bridge lie, I could direct an unseen servant to collect the pieces. Then we could lay them out as they once were, as best we could, and I could join them together with a cantrip of mending, and then, if we could hold it in place, perhaps with rope, I could fuse that new section to the remaining bridge itself with another. Of course, I do not have even one Mending cantrip prepared today. I wonder why the Riverlanders have not bothered to repair it themselves."
"Then we would have to wait a day to proceed then, no?" Shadya asks. "No, I think it is best we go on. As for repairs, perhaps the damage is somewhat fresh, or may take even more time than you suggest. I am quite willing to spend as little time over water as I can" Shadya looks at the river with a bit of uncertainty and trepidation.

Edit: Wow, we are a hearty bunch! Lasair and Cludge are tied for HP though. It's nice to have two meat shields ;)

Last edited:

Trouvere

Explorer
Conuld, human transmuter 1 (AC 12, HP 6/6)

"Yes, and it would be a dull wait for everyone, and might not work in any case. We should follow the signpost. But let us be a little more on our guard than usual. If bandits or worse wished to waylay travellers, then destroying the bridge and helpfully re-directing us to a place of their choosing would be a way to do it. Perhaps that is just my suspicious nature talking. I have been trying to overcome it."

Trouvere

Explorer

Conuld checks that his crossbow is loaded, though he knows it is. "If I used my magic to enlarge Kurgahz, I daresay he would stretch across the gap in the bridge, and we could ride the horses over him. One at a time of course." Probably he is jesting, though he does seem to think that magic can solve any problem.

AGFlynn

First Post
Cludge Slatefist, Fighter 2 (HP:23 AC:15)

Cludge scratches his beard, which seems to have grown bushier and spikier over the journey, so that his face has all but disappeared behind it (not that his grooming is ideal in the first place). He looks at the bridge, contemplates the sign, and says:
Well, now hang on a minute there, Shady -- aye-uh, he adds hastily. (Still can't seem to get anyone's name right after al lthe time they've spent together. He's trying, though.)
I'm with Connie. That looks a might too convenient fer to be true. If I was ta set up a ambush, that purty much how I'd go about it. It praticly a invitation.
OOC: Rae, how long is the gap in the middle? If it's not too long, say 20-25 feet, Cludge will suggest trying to cut down trees and lashing them together -- assuming there are any trees of that stature about -- to bridge the gap. If that's obviously not possible he'll say:

If we take this here path, we gotta stay alert. I'm purty much useless fer seein' stuff and I'm hard o' hearin' ta boot. I'm happy ta go first an' take a few arrers, but it'd sure be grand ta have somebody sneak ahead there ta check it out.

Trouvere

Explorer

"Oh. Oh dear. I think Shadya and I are the quietest among us. I learned to sneak about on my toes at the library when Baland was busy with a difficult translation. If you come with me, Shadya, I would not mind scouting ahead. But I do not think I am any good at hiding."

OOC: 1 whole rank in Move Silently, baby! +3 total.

AGFlynn

First Post
Cludge Slatefist, Fighter 2 (HP:23 AC:15)

Now, I'll be right behind ya, but ya know how quiet I am, says Cludge. He suddenly brightens. Say, Connie! he exclaims, What about one o' them flyin' spells! Why dontcha make me fly, then I kin get up above them trees and take a gander! Plus you could invisible me too!

Trouvere

Explorer

"You and Kurgahz both clank when you walk, Cludge. Alas, I am little more than a librarian with a spellbook. Perhaps one day I can give you the power of flight, but as of now, I am still struggling with the formulae to make you fall like a feather. No doubt that will be immensely useful when we reach the wide flat desert."

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
OOC: I was actually envisioning a bridge made of stone, though to be perfectly honest a bridge of wood makes much more sense. =P But I refuse to retcon. The bridges are stone and of excellent construction, probably dwarven.

Regarding Mending: Mending says it can fuse one break in a weapon's blade, so I thought I was being generous with the "one fuse per casting" with entire blocks of stone. Also, if it were made of wood, all the debris would've washed away rather than sit in the river.

The gap in the middle is large, some 20 feet of emptiness and 10' on each side of crumbled stone. Kurgahz's wood idea might work, but you"d need axes to chop down the trees and rope to lash it all together (there are no large, sturdy fallen trees lying around in the fens).

Regarding the entirely hypothetical possibility of an ambush: You're good aligned adventurers, or at least neutral with good leanings, right? Wouldn't your characters rather they got to the ambusher(s) before a caravan or a family visiting Orussus?

And one more thing: Walking with a crossbow loaded is dangerous. It's not in the SRD, but I stole this from Nimisgod: Every hour you walk with a loaded crossbow, there is a 30% chance of it firing randomly. To be fair, I didn't inform you of this before, but it didn't come into play. So now you know. And while we're on the subject, I'm not sure how realistic keeping a bow drawn for a long period of time is. Nocking an arrow would suffice, drawing the bow would provide no in-game benefit and just tire poor Shadya's arms out.

Finally: Do we have a definite plan of action, then? Shadya and Conuld sneaking ahead, with the other three close (how far, exactly?) behind?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases