A Sojourn in Sairundan [Judge: Manzanita]

AGFlynn

First Post
Cludge Slatefist, Fighter 2 (HP:23 AC:15)

Cludge looks thoroughly perplexed, glancing about for this Meliana person then grows even more befuddled with talk about psi-thingies and finally goggles slack jawed at the psicrystal. Strange things I seen indeed, Mingo, as ye said I would, he mutters.
We may indeed be safer with more eyes, as ya say, Shady-ah, but I sure wish I had me some o' them testicles the gnomes make with the glass circles in 'em what makes people see better, he says, scrunching up his eyes until they practically disappear in the bristly black shock of beard. His head strikingly resembles a large sea urchin with a small nose wearing a steel cap.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
OOC: Apologies, Rystil. I was citing from memory both times, and apparently my brain failed me twice. :p

Update with Meliana's findings will be forthcoming this evening (EST).

Solange

First Post
AGFlynn said:
Cludge looks thoroughly perplexed, glancing about for this Meliana person then grows even more befuddled with talk about psi-thingies and finally goggles slack jawed at the psicrystal. Strange things I seen indeed, Mingo, as ye said I would, he mutters.
We may indeed be safer with more eyes, as ya say, Shady-ah, but I sure wish I had me some o' them testicles the gnomes make with the glass circles in 'em what makes people see better, he says, scrunching up his eyes until they practically disappear in the bristly black shock of beard. His head strikingly resembles a large sea urchin with a small nose wearing a steel cap.
"You wetlanders make strange devices," Shadya says, trying not to think about it.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Meliana skitters along the uneven path on her spidery legs. The little crystal is soon out of sight.

[sblock=Lasair: ](I've taken some creative liberties with Meliana's voice. Feel free to shoot me down if it's not something she would say. 7 Int is not high at all, though.)

"Okay, here we go! Off to find a bridge, and hopefully some new friends, right? Oh, er no, right, no new friends. How sad! So why am I going out here again? I'm looking for... friends. No! A bridge, with friends beneath it. No? No friends at all, just a bridge. Right, got it."

This kind of chatter continues for a short while, perhaps 10 minutes, but Lasair puts up with it so she knows her little Meliana is safe. Finally she hears,

"Aha! A bridge! It's made of wood. There are rocks here, lots of rocks. Your horses may have trouble, Lasair, but there's this little path that some friendly person cleared, leading right over the bridge. Yep, it looks like a bridge. No people though. Oh, sure, I'll look around for some friends! Maybe they're hiding out in the pretty trees, or under the bridge? Let's try there first. Ooh, there's a big rock under here! It's a big moving rock. Oh no, no it's a big friend! He's not very pretty, but he's got some other friends over. Hello, big guy! Oh. Oh no, those aren't friends at all. They're not moving. Maybe they're just sleeping, right? He's looking at me, he's got a really big stick. I think I'm scared and I think I'm running now. He's chasing me! Ooh, this is scary, but maybe it's just a game!" Lasair assures Meliana that it is no game. "Oh, he's fast but he's got all this fur that's slowing him down, I'm winning the race! He stopped, he turned around, he's going back to the bridge. I think... yes, I think he's gone now. Should I come back?" Lasair says yes, and Meliana comes back, talking all the while about how she beat the big friendly but ugly giant at a race at his own sleepover.[/sblock]

(We won't wait for Rystil, because I don't think he's back to consistent posting yet.)

10 minutes after the crystal leaves, Lasair suddenly speaks up. "It seems that there is a large friend waiting for us beneath the bridge. He has a giant club and is wearing reasonably heavy hide armor. What should we do?" While the group plans, the little crystal returns 10 minutes later to Lasair.

Solange

First Post
"Well, then he can't surprise us at least. We can try to draw him out, or perhaps talk him into letting us pass. But it might be best for the people here if we rid the bridge of him. Perhaps I can lure him out with my singing once we get near." Shadya says.

Phoenix8008

First Post
"The bigger they are, the harder they tumble to the ground. Soundss like it could be interestin'." Kurgahz says with a wary smile. "Should we approach on foot to leave the horsess and gear out of any possible fight?" , he asks the others.

Trouvere

Explorer
"Oh, Russna's eyes, yes," says Conuld. "I can't do anything on this stupid horse."

[sblock=OOC, rules question]As a last resort for when he's out of everything else, Conuld has scribed a scroll of Color Spray. Am I correct that its save DC is a mere 11 (10 +spell level +bonus from minimum stat needed to cast, which is 11, so +0)? Would his Spell Focus (illusion) feat still bump that by +1?[/sblock]

Solange

First Post
"Might be best to lead the horses till we get close, then maybe tie them up," Shadya says.

OOC: I thought it was your DC if you write your own scroll?

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
OOC: Hmm... I'll have to check the rules again on scrolls (I never can remember them) but I think the DC uses Conuld's abilities. 16 Int, right? And spell focus, so DC 15, I think. I'll check when I get home.

Trouvere

Explorer
OOC: No, no, let's go with that :p. I was looking at this which seemed to imply it would be only DC 11, or possibly 12 if Spell Focus still applied. The scroll creator can't set the DC, or scrolls scribed by Int 20 Taelythenihel would sell for more than Int 16 Conuld's. It makes more sense to me that whoever cast from the scroll would set the DC using their own Int bonus, but the wording at the link seems to gainsay that: "For a saving throw against a spell or spell-like effect from a magic item, the DC is 10 + the level of the spell or effect + the ability modifier of the minimum ability score needed to cast that level of spell. Staffs are an exception to the rule. Treat the saving throw as if the wielder cast the spell, including caster level and all modifiers to save DC."

Remove ads