A Sojourn in Sairundan [Judge: Manzanita]

Solange

First Post
OOC: I think we have one with the running wizard :) We'll get some way towards the bridge, tie the horses, approach through the woods while Conuld approaches from the path. We keep our distance, and he tries to draw the creature to us.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
The party decides to go with Conuld's plan. They ride a little ways down the path, about 5 minutes. Then they stop and tie the horses to the nearby trees, trusting the gods to protect them from wandering predators. Then they continue on, weapons at the ready, moving quietly. Soon they can see the long wooden bridge crossing the river among a rocky area on the bank. Conuld nods to the others and casts his spell as the others take to the trees within firing distance, about 200' away. Conuld zips over to the bridge, his light steps seem to propel him into the air several feet. He hums and whistles as he moves. A grumbling can be heard as he approaches, and slowly a great ugly creature emerges from the far side of the bridge. The giant ogre rests a small tree on its shoulder. Two stunted, curvy horns poke out of the matted hair on its head, which is as dirty as the many layers of hide it wears. In a deep, rumbling voice it calls, "Stop man, little man, stop! Give shinies. No shinies, bonez go crunch." Sticking out its hand, it grins a crooked, evil grin and taps its shoulder with its greatclub to drive the point home.

The ogre seems to think Conuld is alone.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Kurgahz readies his light crossbow while hoping he might get the chance to fight this huge creature greatclub to greatclub. THAT would be a bloody battle, no doubt about it. And why shouldn't he get the chance? Maybe when the beast is lured closer and weakened some from ranged attacks, Kurgahz might just deliver his god a new prize! "Ready to go..." Kurgahz whispers to the others.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Lasair can easily Charm or Suggestion this creature, but since it seems to be an incorrigably reprobate murderer, that would be letting it off too easily. Thus, she will Ego Whip, Will Save DC 16, dealing 1d4 Cha damage (save for half with minimum 1 even after halving) and stun for one round on a failed save. With the ogre's weak willpower and terrible charisma, this should be over shortly)

Trouvere

Explorer
Conuld, human transmuter 1 (AC 12, HP 6/6)

OOC: it all moved ahead while I was asleep, but Conuld would have cast Mage Armor on himself just before casting Expeditious Retreat. Is the ogre armed only with a club? No visible missile weapons? Regarding Lasair's abilities, she's been pretty tight-lipped about them so far (or has that just been Rystil's Japanese absence?). How much does the rest of the party know about them?

"You're too ugly to have my shinies," says Conuld, in a voice that quavers despite himself. "And you're too fat and stupid to catch me." Inside his head, he's counting down the seconds remaining on his spell. "So you can stick that club right up your-" At this point, he turns and runs.

OOC: not running too far or fast to discourage the monster. Maybe 80' back towards the woods. Do I need to beat his initiative to act first?

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: She doesn't like to brag--she doesn't consider her abilities to be of much import or potency. She's very impressed with even 1st-level Wizards and generally considers them to be more powerful and exotic than she is ;))

Trouvere

Explorer
OOC: Oh, cr*p. I'm really sorry, guys, but I've screwed up. I could have sworn Conuld had a scroll of Exp. Retreat, so sure I didn't check. But when I went to mark it off his sheet I found that he, er, doesn't. :eek: :( Um... I guess it's possible we could retcon to say he prepared it this morning instead of Color Spray (it can't take the place of Enlarge Person, because he also offered to cast that on Cludge). Or... otherwise... he lied to everyone and is running much slower than you'd think. :heh: I suppose the other option is to retcon the purchase of such a scroll back in Orussus, since he definitely has the spare money for one. Remind me not to trust my memory, because apparently I don't have one.

Addendum: bought in Orussus, or scribed himself, of course (during the gap between the end of W1: Blacklily Violence and his recruitment for A Sojourn in Sairundan, which took place at the same time as W2: The Search for Tomas Quinn kicked off, which was stated to be 3 weeks after W1.). Which is probably what happened, seeing as if he was so sure he had one, he surely must have done. :\

Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
I believe there was ample time for Conuld to prepare the scroll, and you the player certainly intended for him to prepare the scroll. Also, the plan hinges on the presence of the scroll. Admittedly, I didn't check the character sheet to make sure either. deduct the money and XP (as you've done) and we'll continue.

Conuld has plenty of opportunity to cast mage armor. We'll say it began just before he cast his fictitious scroll of expeditious retreat.

At 10:36:00, Conuld cast mage armor and took out his scroll.
At 10:36:06, he used the scroll.
At 10:36:12, he left the trees and traveled 120' while humming. The Ogre emerged from the bridge and greeted Conuld with a friendly hello.
At 10:36:18, Conuld insulted the ogre and ran away 80'. The ogre, enfuriated, gave chase, but he was so taken aback by this tiny creature's bravery that he hesitated for just a moment.

Lasair takes that opportunity to lash out at the ogre's fragile mind. The giant creature lurches to a stop in plain sight at the start of the bridge. (1 Cha dmg, failed save)

OOC: I think since everybody's readying an action, you all go after Conuld but right before the ogre. Which didn't change the init much.

Initiative:
Conuld
Lasair
Shadya «
Kurgahz
Cludge
Ogre

Trouvere

Explorer
Rae ArdGaoth said:
deduct the money and XP (as you've done) and we'll continue.
OOC: thanks, Rae, and my apologies to everyone again. What with the crossbow issue and the scroll DC discussion and now this, I've been splendidly disruptive of the game so far. :(

Remove ads