A Sojourn in Sairundan [Judge: Manzanita]

Solange

First Post
"It's important to Lasair, and it will get us to move faster," Shadya says. "We can adjust the horses, and it's probably best that someone stay with them to watch them. When we arrive at the edge of the desert, we may give them the horses, as they will have paid more than enough for them in work and coin. Lasair, I assume you would have no problem watching them for us as they carry our stuff?"

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Thank you Shadya yn Hayder. I trust them not to make off with it. Even if you do not trust them, it would not be to their advantage to make off with the mundane equipment we have them carry when the horses we offer are far more valuable."

Phoenix8008

First Post
"So since I don't accept their debt of honor, I'VE got no honor? I'm no better than an animal?! I've heard that one before alright." Kurgahz mutters as he hefts his greatclub into the air with one hand and thumps it against his other hand threateningly. Walking up to Lasair, then past her to stand before the eight, he stops and looks at them. "So if I throttle them some, THEN their zij to me is discharged, right?" he asks Lasair over his shoulder while raising his club before him. Weilding it with precision, he begins trying to club each of the eight in turn to be done with this business.

[sblock=OOC]At this point, Kurgahz feels he's been insulted and is SO ready to be done with this conversation. He is willing and able to club each of the eight in turn if that'll end this debt in Lasair's eyes so she'll leave him the heck alone. He would use non-lethal damage only but it may well (probably will) knock them all back into unconsciousness. Here are the hit rolls (if needed in case the eight actually try to move out of the way) and the damages for one non-lethal attack on each of them.[/sblock]
When finished, Kurgahz walks to the Inn to get his drink and leaves Lasair to deal with the eight from now on...

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
"As I side, there is a difference between lacking vhal and being without vhal. You, well, you are an enigma to me because your viewpoint of the world is so alien, so I cannot say for sure. I would like to think you merely lack vhal. It is only those entirely without vhal who are like animals. For a good example of such, recall the ogre that murdered passersby and took their treasure."

"Well, you have to have them accept first, not blindside them, as I mentioned to Conuld about forcing the repayment of zij without the volition of the one who has zij to you, but if they do, yes, that is the case."

"I will have them each step forward and present themselves for your beating."

[SBLOCK=Sylvan]"Jilsa, Kurgahz would like to help you remove the zij you each owe him by bestowing a beating that will sting but then fade away, and with it your zij to him. Will you accept his help in repaying your zij--I ask you now as he wishes to do so immediately. Ask the others and have each of you present yourself to him to receive the blow."[/SBLOCK]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Jilsa thinks a moment before nodding slowly. "
It is better than drowning. I will tell the others
."
She speaks a few words in the river tongue. There are some protests, and Jonka pulls Jilna close to him and shakes his head. Samsa in particular makes a lot of noise. He points and shouts at Kurgahz. Jonda clips him in the back of the head and he shuts up, glaring at both the half-orc and Jonda. Jonda speaks a few words, and everybody but Samsa reluctantly nods.

Turning back to Lasair, Jilsa says in Sylvan, "
They understand that the orc wishes to beat them, and we are in no position to negotiate. I, however, request that Jilna not be beaten, or if she must be, that she be clubbed in the legs, and not the torso. Jonka and I are willing to take her punishment for her, and if your purpose is to... satisfy... zij? Then I assure you that beating Jonka or myself will hurt Jilsa as much as or more than actually beating her
."
With that, Jilsa presents herself as the first to be flogged.

OOC: I'll give everybody some time to respond to Kurgahz's outburst. In 24 hours, the floggings begin!

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Sylvan]"You wish to...negotiate? Only those who wish to have their vhal to him repaid should accept it. Know that this is strictly voluntary. It is a sign of your vhal and it is for those who want it. Samsa does not, it seems. If all of you decline, so be it. You will have lost your chance to have your zij to him repaid, but there is nothing else that will happen but the shame. As for Jilna, if you wish to accept the blow for her, then it is a sign of your vhal. It shall be so."[/SBLOCK]

Trouvere

Explorer
"Still they think that the choice is only between drowning and tal zij. And still Lasair marches on through Western lands proudly proclaiming that everyone else is out of step. And now this... Russna's eyes! Renthisj kepesk!" Conuld stamps the heel of his staff on the ground. There is a low prolonged rumbling peal of thunder. "I am not pleased. I wash my hands of you stiff-necked inflexible pothoc malsvir munthrek." To Jilsa and her companions, "This is nothing to do with me. I do not approve." Conuld strides into the inn. "Right, I am going to drink, with Cludge. Which will probably kill me."

OOC: Ghost Sound (DC 14, not that it matters)

Trouvere

Explorer
[sblock=Cludge]"Things are going extremely well outside, Cludge. We are now a party not of five but of thirteen. Lasair is insisting that there is scarcely a Westerner alive who has any honour, and to prove her wrong, Kurgahz is going to beat the riverfolk with his club. He and Lasair seem to think a good beating will do the riverfolk some good. Oh, and I lit my finger on fire to demonstrate a rhetorical position, and almost ended up in a duel with her. You're a dwarf, of a race with strong feelings about personal honour and responsibility. Maybe you can explain to her that zij and vhal and whatever else are not universal rules, but just one tradition, and that those who have different ethical systems are not nothing more than animals. I am talked out."[/sblock]

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Do you think so? You may be right about that. I will offer them the option and see if I was right about their vhal. Let us hold for Jilsa's response...perhaps we shall be seeing no more of them after all."

[SBLOCK=Sylvan]"Jilsa, Conuld thinks I have misunderstood you. Do you actually want to be tal zij and repay your vhal, or do you just want to leave here. Because if you want to just go, I am not going to stop you. Helping you repay your zij was for your benefit, not ours. If you want to leave, you may. I will give you some coin to ensure that you will be safe and well for some time, and get plenty of proper nutrition for Jilna. If you do not feel you ought to have an obligation, you can leave right now with my blessings but none of my respect."[/SBLOCK]

Solange

First Post
"Kurgahz, beating them accomplishes nothing but proving you are a brute. They will earn forgiveness though long and hard work," Shadya says.

"Lasair, I don't claim to understand vhal as you know it, but in my short travels in the wetlands, I see honor handled much differently here than in the sands of Sairundan. I have learned it is best to hold the wetlanders to those same standards. It is like teaching a dog to fetch when it is only trained to sit."

Remove ads