A Sojourn in Sairundan [Judge: Manzanita]

Trouvere

Explorer
Very OOC: Funny thing is, people from hot climates in the real world aren't necessarily very well suited to high temperature living. Back in the 19th century, it was observed that in colonial armies, shiny white reflective British soldiers endured the heat far better on average than dark heat-absorbing African soldiers (until they died of sunburn). It seems that dark skin is 'endured' for the sake of UV protection... and of course it's hard to imagine any place where high temperatures and high UV don't go together (low temp, high UV is possible at altitude, of course).

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
There's a special page in the SRD devoted to moving long distances. I think it's called 'Movement, Travel, and Exploration'. It has a table with travel rates for various speeds over various time periods. That's where I'm getting my 48mph from.

OOC to Lasair: Lasair might even have a leg up on Rinaldo, with her exotic feminine charm. If you want to give it a shot, it would be an interesting RP experience. ;) (By the by, the first time I read "she can get mighty close to him", I had the priest as the antecedent, not Rinaldo. Kinda changes the meaning. :p )

Trouvere

Explorer
Conuld, human transmuter 1 (AC 12, HP 6/6)

Conuld gets a silly grin on his face. "There are stories, you know, of the mighty magics powerful mages and priests can work, or could once work, to move long distances in the twinkling of an eye. Let me see, what can I recall of them...."

OOC - Knowledge checks: arcana 1d20+6=9; history 1d20+4=7; religion 1d20+4=18; the planes 1d20+4=16.
Do what you like with those, Rae!

AGFlynn

First Post
Cludge Slatefist, Fighter 2 (HP:23 AC:15)

Rae ArdGaoth said:
Taking a ship is pointless: Sairundan is as far from the coast as it is from Orussus.

OOC: Isn't there a river that runs eastward that could take us at least part of the way there? From the protomap, it looks like it could cut us some miles. We could travel south from a point along it.

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
[sblock=Rae]
Rae ArdGaoth said:
There's always the Wanderlust Inn! It's late, so I'll look into that as a possibility tomorrow. Does it run on a schedule?
I actually wanted to note the possibility of using the Wanderlust Inn myself, and if I had run a Sairundan adventure myself, I'd have used it as well. It gets around the time problem as well as the geography problem, after all. ;) I seem to recall that there might be a schedule, but nothing has been set in stone.[/sblock]

Trouvere

Explorer
AGFlynn said:
OOC: Isn't there a river that runs eastward that could take us at least part of the way there? From the protomap, it looks like it could cut us some miles. We could travel south from a point along it.
OOC: What I've heard :p is that there's an enormous ancient canal network from the coast deep into the desert, built by a now vanished civilization. Regardless, we do at least know that a 900 mile or so round trip out Elbereth Sound and then south past Drolai (does it say Raithe cut off at the bottom of the map?) by ship is possible (I'm not sure I believe that there is then a great westerly headland preventing closer approach to Sairundan - I guess Sairundan is more SSW than SW of Orussus, then). While apparently SRD sailing ships go at 2 mph, thereby achieving the same daily rate as a horse (grrr! stupid slow ships!), Conuld could transfer Endure Elements to his spellbook and scribe a few scrolls of other spells (perhps a few Color Sprays, if he's going to have to be a walking Endure Elements wand later on) during the ship journey, saving several days and making better use of his time (until the pirates and sea serpents attack. Ooo - or Keldar's infamous merfolk on wheels :confused: , if we put in in the bay between Ravensdale and Gotian). Speaking of Keldar, Rae, of course you're aware that Keldar and the Keldarians are walking fairly slowly from Orussus towards Allimon in "Notes on the Aether", and if this Sairundan party head off by horse, there's a good chance we'll overtake them, and can wave as they choke in our dust.

Solange

First Post
OOC: Well, the best thing we can do is prepare for the journey in the wetlands, and we can shift gears when we get to the edge of the desert. That wanderlust inn thing may be helpful, but how does one find it? Heck, how does anyone know about it?
AGFlynn said:
OOC: We're going Southwest, towards the Tower of Wind. Part of why I thought the desert wouldn't be as harsh as it could be.

Trouvere

Explorer
Solange said:
OOC: Well, the best thing we can do is prepare for the journey in the wetlands, and we can shift gears when we get to the edge of the desert. That wanderlust inn thing may be helpful, but how does one find it? Heck, how does anyone know about it?
OOC: From the description of it, no one knows about it, except the people who believe it has always been where it currently is. And then they forget when it goes somewhere else.

Phoenix8008

First Post
OOC: And even if we could find the Wanderlust Inn, is there any evidence that we would be able to manipulate it to take us where we want to go? And after that (assuming that doing such doesn't void a good portion of the adventure) is there any guarantee that it would still be where we left it and again be able to use it to return home to the city?

I assume then (since no one posted at all about it) that no one wishes to contribute for a party owned wand of Cure Light Wounds? Kurgahz is also able to cast Endure Elements, but again is very limited as to what else he can do each day.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases