A Sojourn in Sairundan [Judge: Manzanita]

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
As you walk, brooding, some of you crying, the mists seem to thicken and encroach on the now-weathered highway. You could almost swear that ghostly figures are floating through the stone buildings... but no beings, ghostly or otherwise, emerge from the fog.

The trek to the other side of the city is made unbearably long by the crushing despair of this place. And on top of that, you notice that your steps feel heavier, less springy than before, as if you've been walking on air for the last two weeks and have only now come back down to earth. It takes more than an hour to reach the gate, but when you do, the sight of it brings hope back into your hearts.

You pass beneath the arch, much smaller than the one on the other side of the city. A great weight is lifted from your souls, and you feel happy again, despite the still-cloudy sky. Looking back, you see another wooden sign, identical to the one in the city, warning travelers of the trial ahead and assuring them safe passage.

Trouvere

Explorer
"Travellers should not have to endure that," says Conuld. With the lifting of his mood, he regains his interest in the magic-laced ruins. "Can it be that the inhabitants of the city wove those spells before they died or departed? If so, they did not have the right. And if the magic has arisen from another source, then we can be sure they would not wish it. Either way, we have a reason to one day return to this cursed place and set it right. It could be a living city once again."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"It was their city. Perhaps they are guarding something that is important to them, or something of the sort. In either case, it is best to show respect for the dead," Lasair replies.

*Her thoughts had been in a flurry throughout the ordeal, though she hadn't shown it. She focused on anything and everything that flitted into her mind in order to avoid the worst of what the mist evoked. Do Westerners have a kind of fish named after this? Probably. What happens if a male and female River Folk are born in the same water? Are they Spirit Siblings? Are they destined to be lovers? Who knows? Why are Westerners so obsessed with wealth, most even moreso than vhal. Is it just corruption?*

Solange

First Post
"I think I shall not venture back into that place. Tis unfair to ask anyone to bear that again."

Shadya sings a solemn song in honor of those who have passed. While in Sairundan, the reverence of the song is unmistakable.

Manzanita

First Post
Judge notes: Whew! I finally caught up. What an interesting adventure. Never seen anything quite like it. I judged your first adventure, Rae. I loved that one, and this one does not dissapoint! Keep up the fine posting everyone!

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
The highway ended at the city's end. Before you extends a road, of sorts, really just a path through the rocky hills. You move along it and pass by more ancient, walled foundations, but soon they are not so common, until finally you reach the last one, a skinny round thing that may have once been a tall tower. It's about time to stop moving for the day, so you make camp inside.

-------------------

The next day you continue your journey south west. It's windier and drier now, and you feel as though the breeze is pressing against you, slowing you down. Maybe that's just your imagination, but you're definitely moving slower than you were. The grass on these hills is hardier and tougher, and fewer trees grow here. Those that do are skinny whip-like trees that bend and move with the wind.

As you travel further, you pass through only a couple of settlements. The land is not as fertile past the city, and farming is far less profitable. A few ranches run alongside the road, separated from the road by wooden fences to keep the livestock in. In the second settlement's tavern you meet people who've never traveled past the Haunted City in their lives; their only contact with the world beyond is traders like Fehl. They tell you not to expect much more settled areas beyond their little community.

The wind blows constantly. There are no more trees, and even the grass seems to have a hard time surviving. The grass gives way to dirt, the dirt gives way to sand. A week out of that last settlement you reach a building called The Oasis. It's a small stone thing that looks millions of years old it's so weathered and beaten by the incessant wind. Inside is a small, leathery man. He greets you with a raspy voice, "Name's Irid. I got a few beds if you want 'em, an' water. You'll need it out there in the drylands, I'm the last sure place for a while."

Travel up to the day before arriving at The Oasis:
2*4*2 nights in settlements= Travel fund: -16sp (Assuming Lasair and co. outside)
-17 days' trail rations
[Distance traveled: 1677 + 11*32 = 2221 miles]
[Time: 57 days]

AGFlynn

First Post
Cludge Slatefist, Fighter 3 (HP:34 AC:15)

Cludge sits down on a bench and wearily tugs off one of his boots. Emptying out a stream of sand, he looks up at Shayda with one eye shut against the gritty wind.
Beggin' yer pardon miss, we been on the road ferever. Might I ask if we're gettin' anywheres close ta yer home?

Phoenix8008

First Post
Kurgahz, half-orc Cleric 2 (AC: 16, HP: 18/18)

Kurgahz sets his greatclub against the wall inside the door. "Grreetings, Irid. I am Kurgahz Vuultan. We would welcome your beds and your water." Turning to Cludge with a toothy grin, Kurgahz asks "Whas' wrong Cludge, it was my understanding that dwarves loved earth and stone. Does sand not count?"

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases