A Sojourn in Sairundan [Judge: Manzanita]

AGFlynn

First Post
Cludge Slatefist, Fighter 3 (HP:34 AC:15)

Don' you fear fer me in tha desert, Connie, says Cludge. I kin get by without much fer a long time. I'm used ta roughin' it. Worry more about tha ladies 'n Kurgahaz.

OOC: Cludge has Endurance.

Trouvere

Explorer
OOC: speaking metagamely, because it's easier than doing it IC, are you happy to risk the Fort saves with your enormous +6 save (Endurance bonus cancelled out by heavy armour penalty in the heat), then? Phoenix, should Conuld prepare an Endure Elements for Kurgahz or will he look after himself? Obviously our desert dwellers would never accept help from some soft Westerner or, er, North-Easterner, from the water-rich lands. :p
For reference, heat and cold hazard rules.

AGFlynn

First Post
Cludge Slatefist, Fighter 3 (HP:34 AC:15)

OOC: Gotcha, Trouve. I know that, but Cludge doesn't and thinks he's pretty much indestructible. Plus, he's not too bright. Nor wise.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: The rules of thumb from Sandstorm (not RAW in LEW because they aren't in the SRD, but definitely a good idea to reference) help flesh out the different desert hazards, which also include sunburn, sunstroke, and heat exhaustion. They have a chart there too, and I believe that any two 'Desert Born' + 'Desert Wear' + 'This Salve Thing, can't remember the name, but it works like Lasair's' will keep you safe in standard desert. Extra harsh desert (like the one in the land of fire) requires all three, which is why Lasair's people have all three. Unnaturally super hot deserts (also present in the LoF) will require saves even with all three. Fortunately, Endure Elements counts as something like +4 on the scaling (each of the aforementioned counts as only +1) and keeps you safe until you get to magically crazy hot deserts. For all of these values, the hottest part of the day usually counts as one step up from that (it's based on temperature numbers), which is why many people will pitch tents and rest for that time).)

So in other words, if we follow those rules of thumb, which are good common sense, Shadya and Lasair will be fine in normal travel. If we don't, then pretty much all desert-dwelling civilisations would fall apart thanks to the death of their commoners.

Rae, do you have Sandstorm? If not, we can sort of just handwave the specifics for everyone except Cludge, I suspect, since we have desert dwellers and Endure Elements, and he seems the only one who will try it with neither (and with heavy armour).

Our movement speed has actually not changed, though we will probably rest during the hottest parts of the day and thus do something like travel four hours from dawn, stop for the hottest six hours, then travel four hours again)

Trouvere

Explorer
As the group discusses their intention to travel in two stages and sit out the heat of the day, Conuld sits with his spellbook open in his lap, and ponders the alternative of preparing Mage Armor twice each day and casting an extended Endure Elements every second day - or every day, if Cludge flags in the heat.

"I've grown accustomed to having the protection of magical armour for most of the day's travel," he says out loud.

Phoenix8008

First Post
"I could give up to three of us protection from the heat and elements per day if needed. But then I would have no further healing spells besides the wand. Conuld, if you will take care of yourself, then I shall prepare two uses of the spell. One for myself and one in case Cludge or another ends up needing it. I shall be using all four of my Orisions to create around 16 gallons of water for us each day." Kurgahz explains to the others as the group makes their plans and preparations for the journey ahead. While they talk, he busies himself with repairing and cleaning his armor. The everpresent sand seems to get everywhere and cut apart the best bindings with ease.

Cleric Spells readied: (4/2+1(Wis)+1(D) save DC= 13 + spell level)
0- Create Water, Create Water, Create Water, Create Water
1- Cause Fear, Endure Elements x2, (D)Grease

Trouvere

Explorer
"If those were your prayers last night, then I shall change my plan, and..." Conuld lays out his intention, and withdraws to study his spellbook. Since some spells lay in his mind unused from previous days, he returns within the hour.[sblock=Spells prepared][sblock=Odd days](0) Light; Ray of Frost; Ghost Sound (DC 14); Message; Prestidigitation
(1) Enlarge Person (DC 14); Mage Armor; Mage Armor; Color Spray (DC 15)
(2) extended Endure Elements; Cat's Grace; Scorching Ray
[/sblock][sblock=Even days](0) Light; Ray of Frost; Ghost Sound (DC 14); Message; Prestidigitation
(1) Enlarge Person (DC 14); Mage Armor; Mage Armor; Color Spray (DC 15)
(2) Cat's Grace; Scorching Ray; Scorching Ray
[/sblock]Conuld will cast a Mage Armor half an hour into each block of travel, for 3 hours protection each time. As above, on even odd days of travel (the first day in the desert is day 58 59), he'll prepare an extended Endure Elements, which will last 48 hours. On odd even days, he'll prepare an additional Scorching Ray instead.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
OOC: Nope, no Sandstorm. So it's just the regular rules (as indicated by Trouvere), with some ad hoc modifiers for being raised in a desert and having clothes and aloe and whatnot.

Remove ads