PrC - Holy Voice (approved)

Wik

First Post
EDIT: So, here's the new, updated, and improved PRC, as well as my revised introduction.

So, I had this written up months ago, and it just sort of slipped away. Now that Galwynn's going to hit 3rd level, I figured I should get this approved so I should know whether or not to take Extra Turning.

That, and I think it's a neat PrC for paladin PCs. Note that it's pretty much useable by LG and CG paladins only. I rewrote much of the flavour text, and tweaked some of the rules text, from earlier editions.

Anyways, I have one vote already, and I need some more. So, I'm bumping the thread, with a slightly cleaned-up PrC write-up (mostly just taking suggestions; I was going to add some spells to the spell list, but decided it might not be a good idea, since I've already had one yes vote, and changing the PrC after the fact might be bad form).

HOLY VOICE

Many deities grant powers to paladins, who serve as a weapon against their deity's enemies. Holy orders of Paladins quest against demons, undead, and abberations, whether it be in the name of Hyrag, Halina, or any of the other gods of the land.

However, some paladins are more than just dedicated to their holy patron. Some, for reasons unknown to them, feel a direct bond to their deity that transcends that typically felt by holy men. Some paladins instead become almost an avatar of their deity, someone infused with just a spark of divine will.

These paladins, referred to as Holy Voices, have been placed in the faith of their patron. No longer do they follow the precepts of their church; they are the will of their lord, on the mortal planes. While many churces resent the independance of Holy Voices, they do not question the ultimate source of the Voice's power.

Deities do not maintain many holy voices at once - the number of Holy Voices dedicated to any single deity at any one time is usually less than five. Instead, each deity makes use of his holy voices sparingly, sending them on quests that are sometimes beyond the reach of churches occasionally bogged-down by bureaucracy.

While Holy Voices can often hear their deity speak to them in (often cryptic) dreams, they do not have a direct link to their deity at all times. They can contact their deity through spells beyond the ken of most paladins, but are not the deity's mouthpiece by any stretch. In fact, many Holy Voices resent their deities at times, feeling that their god has placed too much responsibility on their mortal shoulders.

Holy Voices are seperate entities of their church, and often feel as if their powers and obligations override those of their god's church. In fact, subtle struggles between Holy Voices and church leaders occur all too often, with Holy Voices often pursuing a more active (and typically a little less "realistic") pursuit of their deity's goals on the material plane.

Holy Voices have always remained "behind the scenes", quietly pursuing their patron god's agenda. Hey are the brave knights of Hyrag who fight lone battles against a horde of orcs, or the noble warriors of Zephos who seek to bring peace to the dying on a battlefield, regardless of personal cost.

Curiously, Halina has never had a Holy Voice known to be connected to her.

Holy Voices are typically known only to senior members of the church; lay folk simply regard Holy Voices as lone followers of a deity.

Hit Die: d8

Requirements
Skills: Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks, Diplomacy 5 ranks, Concentration 5 ranks
Feat: Extra Turning
Special: Lay on Hands
Language: Celestial

Class Skills
The Holy Voice's Class skills are Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Knowledge (the planes), Knowledge (religion), Ride, Sense Motive, and Spellcraft.

Skill Points: 2 + Int modifier

Code:
Table:  Holy Voice
Level    BAB    Fort    Ref    Will    Special
1         +1     +2       +0     +0     Paladin Spells, Lay On Hands, Fearless Aura
2         +2     +3       +0     +0     Extra Domain
3         +3     +3       +1     +1     Morale Aura
4         +4     +4       +1     +1     Voice's Wrath
5         +5     +4       +1     +1     Healing Aura

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: If the character is not already proficient, he receives proficiency in his deity's favoured weapon.

Paladin Spells: The character continues to gain spells as a paladin. Holy Voice levels count as paladin levels for determing the number of spells a paladin can cast per day, caster level, etc. However, Holy Voice levels do not improve upon the number of times per week a Paladin can cast Remove Disease, a Paladin's Smite Attack, Paladin's Mount, or Turning Undead.

Lay on HandsHoly Voicelevels stack with paladins when determining the amount of hit points healed by the lay on hands ability.

Extra Domain: At 2nd level, the Holy Voice can select one domain granted by his deity. He gains one additional spell slot for each paladin spell level he has access to; this spell must be taken from this extra domain. Thus, a 5th level Paladin/2nd Level Holy Voice with the Healing Domain could cast Cure Light Wounds as a bonus Domain spell.
However, the Holy Voice does not benefit from the regular domain ability.
If the character already has domain spells (such as if he were a cleric), this bonus stacks with the Cleric's existing domains.

Fearless Aura: By spending one of his daily turn undead attempts as a standard action, the Holy Voice projects an aura that calms his allies. For a number of rounds equal to his Holy Voice level plus his charisma modifier, all allies that remain within 20 feet of the Holy Voice are immune to all fear effects.
Note that allies within the aura are immune to further fear effects; any fear effects that they suffered before the aura was activated still remain.

Morale Aura: By spending one of his daily turn undead attempts for the day as a standard action, the Holy Voice projects an aura that invigors his allies. All allies that remain within 30 feet of the Holy Voice receive a +1 morale bonus on melee attack rolls and damage rolls. This ability lasts for a number of rounds equal to the character's Holy Voice level plus his charisma modifier.

Voice's Wrath: By spending one of his daily turn undead attempts, the Holy Voice can make a single attack infused with a little bit of divine essence. He spends the Turn undead attempt as part of making a standard attack.
The Voice's Wrath attack is considered to be made by a Good weapon, for purposes of overcoming Damage Reduction. It has a +4 bonus to attack, and deals a number of points of extra damage equal to the Holy Voice's class level.
In addition, the attack deals +1d6 damage against Evil creatures.
A character cannot activate Voice's Wrath any round in which he is also making a smite attack.

Healing Aura: At 5th level, the Holy Voice is able to heal nearby allies. By spending one of his daily turn undead attempts as a free action, the Holy Voice can use his Lay on Hands ability on any willing target within 20 feet. Lay on Hands can be used as normal, with the exception that the Holy Voice does not need to physically lay hands on the target.
The Holy Voice can, if he so chooses, heal multiple targets with this ability, splitting up points from his Lay on Hands ability among all eligible targets.

Note: Holy Voice levels do not count as taking levels in another class, for purposes of a Paladin's multi-class restrictions. A 5th level Paladin/2nd Level Holy Voice can freely multi-class between both. However, taking levels such as fighter or wizard prevents further paladin (but not Holy Voice) progression as usual.

(for those interested in the original PrC, here it is:)

[sblock]

HOLY GUARDIAN

Holy Guardians are paladins and, less often, clerics dedicated to one of the good deities of the land. Typically following gods such as Hyrag, Azwan, or Halina, they are exemplars of their deities virtues.
Holy Guardians radiate an aura of the divine about them, which they can use to aid their companions in the pursuit of their deity's goals on the material plane.

Hit Die: d8

Requirements
Alignment: Lawful Good
Skills: Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks, Sense Motive 5 ranks
Special: Lay on Hands
Special: Turn Undead

Class Skills
The Holy Guardian's Class skills are Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), Knowledge (the planes), Knowledge (religion), Ride, Sense Motive, and Spellcraft.

Skill Points: 2 + Int modifier

Code:
Table:  Holy Guardian
Level    BAB    Fort    Ref    Will    Special
1         +1     +2       +0     +0     Paladin Spells, Turn Undead, Lay On Hands 
2         +2     +3       +0     +0     Extra Domain
3         +3     +3       +1     +1     Fearless Aura
4         +4     +4       +1     +1     Extra Turning
5         +5     +4       +1     +1     Morale Aura
6         +6     +5       +2     +2     Extra Turning
7         +7     +5       +2     +2     Magical Aura
8         +8     +6       +2     +2     Extra Turning
9         +9     +6       +3     +3     
10       +10    +7       +3     +3     Healing Aura

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: If the character is not already proficient, he receives proficiency in his deity's favoured weapon.
Spells: The character gains spells as a paladin. Paladin levels and Holy Guardian levels stack when determing caster level, spells learned each level, etc.
Turn Undead:All levels in Holy Guardian stack with levels in any other divine class that is capable of turning undead. Thus, a 5th level paladin/4th level Holy Guardian would cast spells as a 6th level cleric.
Lay on HandsHoly Guardian levels stack with paladins when determining the amount of hit points healed by the lay on hands ability.
Extra Domain: At 2nd level, the Holy Guardian can select one domain granted by his deity. He gains one additional spell slot for each spell level he has access to; this spell must be taken from this extra domain. Thus, a 5th level Paladin/2nd Level Holy Guardian with the Healing Domain could cast Cure Light Wounds as a bonus Domain spell.
In addition, the character gains the listed Domain ability.
If the character already has domain spells (such as if he were a cleric), this bonus stacks with the Cleric's existing domains.
Fearless Aura: By spending one of his daily turn undead attempts for the day as a free action, the Holy Guardian projects an aura that calms his allies. For a number of rounds equal to his Holy Guardian level plus his charisma modifier, all allies within 30 feet of the Holy Guardian are immune to all fear effects.
Extra Turning:At 4th, 6th, and 8th level, the Holy Guardian receives one additional use of Turn undead per day.
Morale Aura: By spending one of his daily turn undead attempts for the day as a free action, the Holy Guardian projects an aura that envigors his allies. All allies within 30 feet of the Holy Guardian receive a +2 morale bonus on melee attack rolls and damage rolls. This ability lasts for a number of rounds equal to the character's Holy Guardian level plus his charisma modifier.
Magical Aura: The character is able to cast a spell that effects a group of creatures instead of effecting usually one.
The character chooses a (beneficial) spell that usually effects only one target (whether it is "creature touched" or a creature within an area doesn't matter). The character spends a full round action, casts the desired spell, and expends one of his turn undead attempts for the day. Afterwards, all friendly characters within 30 feet of the character gain the effects of the spell.
Healing Aura:As a standard action, the character can expend one of his daily turn undead attempts and at least ten points of lay on hands to heal all friendly characters within 30 feet of him.
Each character within 30 feet heals a number of hit points equal to the number of points of lay on hands that the Holy Guardian spent.
For example, if the Holy Guardian spent twelve points of lay on hands, every character within the aura would heal 12 points of damage.

Any comments? Balanced, unbalanced, Crazy? [/sblock]

Last edited by a moderator:

Bront

The man with the probe
Is this like the diablo paladin and his auras? ;)

Do you realize that Magical Aura will be more effective than most of the MASS spells? (Mass Bear's Strength, Mass Cure light, etc)

It's a little much, overall, but I can't put my finger on exactly why. I might suggest less Extra Turnings, since you can simply buy a feat for that, but beyond that, It just strikes be as a bit overpowered.

Morale Aura tromps on the bard's most useful ability.

But that's also my first impression.

Wik

First Post
To be quite honest, I'm inclined to agree with you. I find, though, it's easier to pare a PrC down than it is to boost it up.

As for the mass spell ability... I don't really agree. This really only works with paladin spells... by the time you're high enough to use 'em, most paladin spells are generally garbage.

I guess I could drop it down a bit, and instead allow the character to use turn undead attempts to cast spells as free actions on any one target within 30 feet (sort of like that new feat in Complete Champion, but weaker).

Rystil Arden

First Post
So for a Paladin, you pretty much automatically get this PrC (Kn: Religion is an obvious skill choice for a Paladin, and Sense Motive is usually taken to get the measure of people except by foolish Detect-and-Smite Paladins, who tend to get in trouble by killing everything that pops up as Evil).

As a Paladin, if you take this PrC with no entry cost, you lose 1 HP per level (so a feat, since we have a feat for that now), your Smite doesn't increase in damage, and you don't get any of the worthless high level Paladin special (oh no--less Remove Disease per week...when you can use it per day as a spell :lol: ).

In exchange, you get--

A Domain and the spells and powers it entails, which is a pretty big boost for the Paladin in spells per day, particularly at levels where the Paladin gets 0.

Fearless Aura--this is just a kind of annoying ability. It is not useful very often, but when it can be used (Fear-using monsters), it makes the encounter less fun and trivial. A normal Paladin already gives bonuses to others and is herself immune. I'd say that's enough.

Extra Turning--this is one feat spread out for a while

Morale Aura--This is available at 10th level. It is better than having a 10th-level Bard along with you for Inspire Courage, since it is inexplicably a Free Action.

Magical Aura--This appears to be a less expensive sort of Divine Metamagic that changes touch range spells to mass spells at range (but with the same casting time change as spontaneous metamagic). If it were a Cleric, this would be absurdly broken beyond belief. For a Paladin, it is less so if only because a Paladin has weaker spells.

Healing Aura--With enough Charisma Bonus, this can quickly become a Mass Heal. At least it's a standard action, I guess.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Wik said:
To be quite honest, I'm inclined to agree with you. I find, though, it's easier to pare a PrC down than it is to boost it up.

As for the mass spell ability... I don't really agree. This really only works with paladin spells... by the time you're high enough to use 'em, most paladin spells are generally garbage.

I guess I could drop it down a bit, and instead allow the character to use turn undead attempts to cast spells as free actions on any one target within 30 feet (sort of like that new feat in Complete Champion, but weaker).
Complete Champion is garbage as far as balance with everything else, though. We should definitely not use it as a measuring stick.

B4cchus

Explorer
I like the fact that paladin's gain a usefull PrC with this!
What i don't like is that it might become somewhat of a no-brainer: low requirements and good synergy. A standard paladin practically strolls into the requirements without even realizing it. A more specialized prereq would also help with the power level.

Bront

The man with the probe
Velmont said:
Paladins are not forgotten in teh LEW PrC. They fit pretty well in the BRIGHTSTRIKER PrC.
He said Useful though :p

Brightstriker is ok, but it's a niche market for very specific paladins.

I was pondering this class, and I think it could benifit from a few fixes.

1) Remove the turning advancement and bonus turning attempts.

2) (Potentialy) reduce the class to 5 levels intead of 10.

3) Use a once a day mechanic for the auras, and fix them a bit (perhaps remove a few if you drop to 5 levels).

4) Keep the Domain thing. I think it gives a little bit of extra divine connection to them. Might even specificy that paladin levels stack or don't stack with said abilities.

5) Let them back into Paladin and hop back and forth, OR limit them to once they leave the PRC, they can't go back.

I like the idea of augmenting a paladin and letting them be a bit different, but it needs to be different, and not just more powerful.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases