(AU/AE) The 7th Age - The Age of Worms

Cyincal Lurker

First Post
That which does not live may eternally lie, and over long strange eons even death may die...

For over 1,200 years the Dramojh, the Dragon Scions, consumed the land of Terrakal, till the comming of the Giants finaly returned peace to a devistated land, and has for more than 500 years since.

Dramojh were not the first evil of the world, however, and things long ago forgoten lay in wait, till the tide of ages turns again, untill the time is right to open the Age of Worms.

Ok, basicly, I'm looking to run the Age of Worms adventure path (level 1-20 path, relativly brutal), but modified to fit in the Diamond Throne setting presented in Arcana Unearthed and Arcana Evolved (and, no, I don't mean Unearthed Arcana). So, you pretty well have to have/know the setting and it's alernate ruleset to be able to play.

On top of that, I'm working in some elements from Ebberon as well, but mostly as backstory elements and such. So names and terms for the most part, though I may use Shifters and Changleings as PC races.

As for other variant rules, the main ones I like to use are Armor as DR, Vitaility/Wound Points and Action Points. I also really like the Bell-Curved Rolls system, but it realy changes the way the game works, so I probably won't use it unless most/all prospective players want it.

There are likely a few other minor things I'm forgetting off the top of my head, but we'll see what the interest is like before I lay out all the fine print.

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
I'd be interested in an Arcana Unearthed/Arcana Evolved game. I only have AU for that, though; haven't gotten the AE book yet or the Diamond Throne book, so I only have limited info on the setting, based on what's in Arcana Unearthed and the Children of the Rune anthology-novel. I can check out the diamondthrone.net or whatever though, for any extra setting info I may need, probably.

What Action Points mechanic were you thinking of using? I don't have the Eberron CS, but I do have access to some of the other stuff with Action Point rules.

Cyincal Lurker

First Post
Having AE should be sufficent; I'm not 100% sure on the setting material chagnes, but the bulk of the difference will be susubmed by my own modifications to make the Age of Worms material work, so that's really a non-issue.

AU has alot of new options, but nothing so major you have to have it over AE as the core stuff is the same.

As far as AP, I'm not 100%, but the other material I know of with AP uses them just as in Ebberon; you can burn it to add 1d6 to a d20 roll, gain an extra usages of a limited class ability, emulate a feat you otherwise qualify for... and so on in that fashion.

figmike

First Post
I'd be interested in playing an AE game. What books do you have? I've got just about all the AE books, but the main ones that I could use at Level 1, assuming that was what the characters would start at, would be Transcendance, Mystic Secrets, and Spell Treasury. Would I have free access to those books for making a character?

The House rules sound fine to me, but you will have to explain which version of each you're using, as there seem to be a lot of Vitality and DR based stuff out there.

I don't however have any books for Ebberon. And you might have to give a little more detail on the how a bell curve rolling system would work.

Thanks

Cyincal Lurker

First Post
I only have AE and Transcendance myself (and I've really only ever skimmed over transcendance to be honest). I'm pretty flexible when it comes to material I don't have - so long as you can get me the info I need to evaluate it and know what it does, I rarely have a problem with permiting it.

As for the rules, most of them you can find at http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/variantAdventuring.htm
I'm not planning any changes to them, but if I do anything it'll be relativly minor tweaks that really only affect the game at high levels. I'll get into more detail on that kind of stuff when/if I get a few more interested folks.

And you don't need anything from Ebberon - I'm just using some Ebberon material for background info, and the bulk of that is pre-pre-history stuff. Which really just means if you know Ebberon there will be some easter-eggs scattered around.

As for bell-curved rolls, they are in the link above as well, but in short, rather than roll 1d20 for checks, you used 3d6. In that system, the odds of a natural 1 or 18 (which replaces the nat 20) only has about 0.5% each, while about 25% of all rolls will be a 10 or 11. The net result is that the +'s and -'s from your stats matter far more than the results of a random die.

WIth a d20, all results have the same odds (5%), so rolling a nat 20 on an attack is just as likely as any other number, so it's somewhat of a relable event (statisticly speaking), but with 3d6 you just can't rely on that - if you can't hit a foe with a 10 or 11 on your attack roll, odds are you will not be hitting that foe.

As I said, it's a pretty drastic change to the underlying mechanics of the game.

figmike

First Post
I was going to wait until a few more players got interested in playing before thinking about characters. But if this becomes just the two of us for a while, I'm ready to play the Draca or Gaint Warmain. How many players do you want? Two for any d20 always seems to few to me.

Cyincal Lurker

First Post
4-6 is what the path is designed for, and that's the number I typicaly look for in a board game anyway. Two would definaly be too few, both from lack of power and that if even 1 droped, the game would be dead.

figmike

First Post
I'll keep checking in from time to time, I just started up an Exalted Game here, so maybe taking a step back and not getting too involved is a good idea. But I'll keep an eye out and if it looks like you need extra players, I'll jump in.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases