Eyes Of The Lich Queen

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
In the end... Samuel Nevillom got the crusade he wanted.

Only... it wasn't the return of the lycanthropes that his army exorcised... it was the release of many fiends of Khyber. When the Silver Flame templars and the Daggerspell Guardians all made their way through the catacombs of the ruined temple... they joined a battle that was almost unbelieveable if they hadn't seen it for themselves. A silver dragon facing the emerging horde of dolgrims, dolgaunts, mind flayers, and ropers, all trying to scrabble and claw out of a large seal in the floor. And in the midst of all of this... a young elf fought a battle with himself. His fragile humanity in a combat with the essence of the daelkyr that had possessed him. When Jina Silversun arrived in the chamber at the back of the pack, she saw her only brother being ripped apart from within. And she had no idea what she could do to help him.

The battle raged on.

And in the end... well...

Zendarrill Lorren sits at the Guardian camp, his head cradled in his hands. He is breathing hard, the wounds of furious battle are evident. One would think that when a dragon polymophed into another form that any wounds would be covered or disappear... but apparently that is not the case. Instead, every claw mark, every gouge... they were all plain as day on the body of the Valenar. And he was one of the lucky ones.

Others were not so fortunate. In every war, casualties are lost... and this was no exception. Of the eighty or so men and women from the crusade and the Guardians that had started this fight... only thirty could be considered in any shape to continue. Not all were fatalities... many were wounded grievously but would survive... but for quite a number, the mental wounds were just as bad. You don't face an ilithid and come away unscathed.

The Valenar pulls himself out of his shaken mental state and stands up. He breathes a huge sigh... as though to try and release the pent-up anxiety and tension that is within him, then looks around the camp at all the survivors. It is not a sight you ever want to see.

"I apologize to you all. My single-mindedness left me blinded. I was not careful enough. I opened doors that should not have been opened to find the information I needed... and did not close those doors behind me. And we have all suffered the loss from my foolishness."

Ari Osten glances around the camp at what remains of both groups. His friend Skarghash lies unconscious on the far side, a victim of a dolgrim attack that will probably keep him bed-ridden for several weeks. He is being attended to by one of the templars, Horatio Donovan, along with one of the Guardians, Rogan ir'Thavar. Both of them survived for the most part unscathed... Donovan because of his melee skill, Rogan because he knew how to avoid getting hit.

The monster hunter looked behind him and there he saw the strange quiet man Aerndal speaking in low tones with the restained form of Elder Nevillom. If he had to guess, Ari would like to think that the guy is telling the Elder of what their army managed to accomplish after all. Because truth be told... as much as the priest screwed the pooch on his fanatical crusade... if they hadn't been here to help the Guardians, they never would have survived and relocked the seal. And who knows what would be going on in the jungles of Q'Barra right now.

As he continued his observations... Ari finally sees the face that he hadn't yet seen. Khalia ir'Indari emerges from the trees along with Jina Silverun... both having just returned from the ruins. They had remained down there for quite a while because they attended on the Exorcist of the Silver Flame, Cerrill Maise, as she tried to do the impossible... put the broken form of Jango Silversun back together. And as Ari sees the two of them move forward, he can see by the looks on their faces that nothing is assured. The boy was broken both mentally and physically, and it is unknown just what Maise can do.

"My name is Sur'Kil..." the Valendar's voice broke into Ari's musings and the Child of Khyber's attention is brought back to the present. The others around the camp also focused on the elf, as he was addressing himself by his draconic name for the first time.

"I am what you might call an independant researcher. I have recently uncovered hints and rumors of an ancient site dating back to the so-called Age of Demons. This temple here was the final piece of a puzzle I've been putting together for many years now, trying to confirm the reality and location of an ancient relic known as The Dragon's Eye. I had intended to go to this location myself, along with my Daggerspell Guardians... but the situation here has changed."

He catches the eye of as many people he can and then continues. "My carelessness has left this place vulnerable, and I must stay here to try and reseal and relock those portals I had opened. And I will need many of my most devoted Guardians' help in this. Thus I must ask for any others who might be willing to assist me in tracking down this relic. I know it is crude of me to ask this right now, immediately following what we just went through... but once word gets out of what happened here, others in a similar boat as myself will invariably try and go for the Dragon's Eye as well. Which is why I am asking for anyone's help."

Sur'Kil, the polymorphed silver dragon, walks over to a table and pulls some paperwork and rubbings out, as well as a small box. "The location is to the southeast of here, past the great volcano of Haka'torvhak. You will have probably a five-day trek inland to the site of the Temple of Kha'shazul. This temple is your destination and I believe is the site of the relic I seek. I can offer any volunteer a base fee of 250 gold per week, plus travel expenses... half of it up front. You will have free choice of any treasure found at the site, as well as be rewarded in full for the relic if it is found."

"Is anyone willing to help a dragon out?"

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC]
ragboy said:
Eberron story hour -- Check

Not a story hour, but a game.

ragboy said:
Start the story in the middle of the action -- check

Not exactly, it is the follow up of Warrior of the Coast

ragboy said:
Characters begin as a mystery -- check

Not that much, if you look at the first part, you'll understand what happen to Ari, Khalia, Jango, Jina and Skarghash. Donovan, Aern and Rogan are new character to this story, so they are still partly a mystery, but if you look at the Rogue Gallery, you'll see a short description of them and there stats.

ragboy said:
Subscribed.

Nice start. Look forward to see this develop.

You are welcome to take a look. It is a great game up to now.[/SBLOCK]

drothgery

First Post
DEFCON 1 said:
He catches the eye of as many people he can and then continues. "My carelessness has left this place vulnerable, and I must stay here to try and reseal and relock those portals I had opened. And I will need many of my most devoted Guardians' help in this. Thus I must ask for any others who might be willing to assist me in tracking down this relic. I know it is crude of me to ask this right now, immediately following what we just went through... but once word gets out of what happened here, others in a similar boat as myself will invariably try and go for the Dragon's Eye as well. Which is why I am asking for anyone's help."[/COLOR]

"What is this Dragon's Eye? And, to be frank, even if it seems it will be found by someone, why should it be delivered into your keeping? Convincing me of the rightness of this action would do more -- and I think I speak for all my brother and sisters in the Flame in this -- than any gold you offer in gaining our aid." Khalia said. Someone had to. If this 'Dragon's Eye' was at another site like the one near Seawell where whatever had happened to Jango had begun, she wanted no one there who was seeking treasure alone.

jkason

First Post
Brother Donovan, human cleric

DEFCON 1 said:
Sur'Kil, the polymorphed silver dragon, walks over to a table and pulls some paperwork and rubbings out, as well as a small box. "The location is to the southeast of here, past the great volcano of Haka'torvhak. You will have probably a five-day trek inland to the site of the Temple of Kha'shazul. This temple is your destination and I believe is the site of the relic I seek. I can offer any volunteer a base fee of 250 gold per week, plus travel expenses... half of it up front. You will have free choice of any treasure found at the site, as well as be rewarded in full for the relic if it is found."

"Is anyone willing to help a dragon out?"

Checking Skarghash's pulse and breathing, Donovan looks up as the elf/dragon declares its need. He looks about at the devestation, shaking his head and frowning.

"I'll go," Donovan says, standing. He wipes some of the gore from his armor as he crosses. "You lost men to a false crusade by my church, and while I'm glad we could work together when the time came, I fear our very presence created the distraction that let someone access that gate. Without us, none of this destruction might have occured.

"My faith in the Silver Flame still burns,"
Donovan says, gaze and stance both firm, "But I feel a need to be away from the church itself, to remind myself of my devotion to the source, even if I have come recently to doubt some of those charged with administering the will of that source." Here the templar makes no show to hide the look of disdain he gives to Elder Nevillom. "And to atone for the wrongs done in the name of the Flame."

"Seeking out your artifact seems the proper penance for the disastrous outcome of the church's recent efforts."

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Ari stared into the fire. He was not surprised at the archivist's response. And, in some sense she was right to ask. But money was important if only to keep one moving in this world. And to keep folks from expecting you to come at their beck and call when they were not willing to sacrifice for it.

The old Ari would have been happy with just the money. In some sense, he was glad to hear it. But.... something had changed today. And he had his own personal reasons for going.

With the glittering eyes of Onyx behind him, all Ari said was. "I'm already in. Sur'Kil knows this."

OOC: How much did our silver friend tell Ari?

Unkabear

First Post
To some it may have been a surprise to others an expected appearance, but as the dragon spoke Aerndel was there to witness the words in his silent observant stance. The words between himself and the Elder Nevillom had come to completion and the two would not be found to speak to each other again. At least not visibly. Payment was a tricky issue as he was well paid for his services already by his many patrons.

Though Elder Nevillom had been brought to this location for the wrong reason if the forces of the Silver Flame had not been present then surly a great evil would have been set upon the land as a black plague. But yet there was so much death of innocents. And to see the Elder as he was. Though he would have to leave the man as he was or risk exposing himself, and both the elder and Aern agreed that his duty during this new trying time would be essential for the Silver Flame. And both were sure that Elder Nevillom would be found pure in the Flame and released from his bonds. Sometimes Trials of the Flame were necessary for greater growth.

Though unknown to the Elder Aern was facing his own Trial of the Flame, because though it turned out for the better, the reasons had been wrong. And though it could have been the influence of the Silver Flame upon the mind of Elder Nevillom to act in such a manner that encouraged expedience, or it could have been the blind raging devotion of a diluted man acting in his own interest. Aern was still undecided, though he would not let this steer the course of his actions.

Ignoring the words of Donovan Aerndel spoke “You have proven your intentions pure, and if it be the will of the Silver Flame that we be here now to assist in keeping this relic from the hands of those that would turn it to evil then I do not believe that there would be an able body that would turn down your request for assistance.” Aerndel spoke softly using the tone that he would speak with Cerrill Maise when she would ask of him council. Though his words were those of the interests of his many patrons, in his heart they were his own as well.

Last edited:

Mista Collins

First Post
It is a shame that the events transpired as they did, but things could have been worse. Without the sacrafice of those who died in battle, the jungles of Q'barra would be more dangerous than they already are.

Standing next to the Donovan and Skarghash's unconscious body, Rogan listens carefully to what Sur'Kil has to say as this might be his chance to serve the Guardians elsewhere. His time in these woods and at these ancient ruins had worn him thin. Too long had his watch duties been and too short his interactions with others. Though his loyalty will always remain with the Guardians, Rogan has been waiting for a chance like this.

There my be others looking for this? A five-day trek through the jungle? Rogan knows he should ask for more money if this task as is dangerous as Zendarrill Lorren, or Sur'Kil as he calls himself, is making it out to be. But how can he after owes Sur'Kil so much?

"Aye, it would be my pleasure to help answer your request for aid in this matter. It is the least I could do for all that you have shown me." Rogan says as he looks to the others whom stepped forward thus far. "You have my daggers."

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Sur'Kil looks around the camp as one by one volunteers step forward to help him on this task. Questions are asked... important questions to be sure... and he takes a few minutes to see if anyone else speaks up. Much to the surprise of some people, the young girl Jina Silversun raises her hand and speaks. "My brother said to me as we made our way here that it was time I grew up and chose what I wanted to do with my life. And I cannot think of a better way to do that than to assist in stopping things like what happened to my brother. I feel like if I had been there for him, this wouldn't have happened, and I do not want to see anything like this happen again. I will help you."

Sur'Kil nods, and after a few moments he gathers his things together and asks that all the volunteers follow him into the temple ruins so that he may discuss things further and answer any questions people might have. The seven volunteers gather together and follow, and soon they have made their way down the stairs and enter the dragonmarked chamber... where they see in the corner the prone body of Jango Silversun lying on a mat, his eagle Griot perched at his shoulder. The shifter paladin Cerrill Maise is over him, motioning with her hands and mumbling prayers to the Flame. It is still unknown what the results of his trauma are going to be.

(OOC: I am speaking to Velmont privately about what his actions were during the unseen battle with the demons, and once we both determine the results, I'll be doing a flashback to what happened and where Jango stands now.)

Sur'Kil invites you all to sit down as needed, and he begins pacing around the room. "Answers to questions you seek, and I will do my best to give them. This is a trying time for us all, so if I forget to mention important details you think you should have, please feel free to ask them. I'll answer what I can." (OOC: Ari was told everything that is spoken here already when he talked with Sur'Kil.)

Khalia said:
"What is this Dragon's Eye?"
"The Dragon's Eye... also known by it's real name Aridarastrixsauriv... is a relic from the Age of Demons. An artifact. One whose power would be terrible if in the wrong hands. Legends spoke of it, but it was only through several decades of decoding and understanding The Prophecy... decoding these marks you see all around you..." he motions to the intricate designs that cover the walls, ceiling, and floor, "...that I was able to determine that the artifact was no mere legend. I and my draconic breathren need to find it, because the Prophecy hints that the power of the Dragon's Eye might allow it's wielder to gain total domination over all dragonkind."

Khalia said:
"And, to be frank, even if it seems it will be found by someone, why should it be delivered into your keeping?"
"This answer should be most obvious... I am that which the artifact can subdue. My brethren in The Chamber and I wish to find the Eye and bring it to Argonessen for safe keeping. Should anyone else gain control of it, the consequences could naturally be disasterous."

He turns and looks down at the elf boy, still ravaged by what had occured in the central room. "The fiends that were locked away in Khyber by my ancestors millenia ago still use every means possible to see to their freedom. This young man is proof of that. What happened here could easily happen again if the object were to fall into the wrong hands. Have any of you ever dealt with cultists dedicated to The Dragon Below? If so, you know what they are willing to do."

"Are there any further questions?"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases