[Goblinoid Games] Labyrinth Lord News 06/20/07

Goblinoid Games

First Post
Labyrinth Lord News 06/20/07

We’re still on schedule to deliver Labyrinth Lord in the latter half of July, 2007.

If you have not heard of this new “retro-clone” fantasy role playing game, be sure to check out the website for full details at www.labyrinthlord.com. We have the character sheet and the map of the “Known Lands” currently available.

From the back cover:

Back to the Basics of Fantasy Role Playing

“Enter a world filled with labyrinths, magic, and monsters! You can take the role of a cleric, dwarf, elf, fighter, halfling, magic-user, or thief on your quest for glory, treasure, and adventure! This is a complete role playing game. All you need are a few sheets of paper and some dice. Welcome back to a simpler old-school gaming experience. The Labyrinth Lord awaits your arrival. Can you survive the dangers of the labyrinth?”

Goblinoid Games

First Post
Urizen said:
Is this based on OSRIC?

Just curious.

It is the same kind of project, but it is not based on OSRIC in the sense that it does not use any text from OSRIC. Labyrinth Lord borrows some text from WotCs SRDS, but is otherwise completely new text.

Treebore

First Post
I was thinking this was closer to the boxed sets or BFRPG that Dragonsfoot did. I could tell they are not "connected", but close.

Man-thing

First Post
The Known Lands Map looks great. Will other publishers be able to publish adventures or material set in the Known Lands? It would be great if a collaborative world could be developed from this. :D

Goblinoid Games

First Post
Man-thing said:
The Known Lands Map looks great. Will other publishers be able to publish adventures or material set in the Known Lands? It would be great if a collaborative world could be developed from this. :D

Absolutely! Once Labyrinth Lord is released, the map, including all place names, will be designated Open Game Content. I will also be making the photoshop map tools I developed in creating the Known Lands map available for everyone to use/improve/modify/whatever. All the map symbols will be designated Open Game Content.

If people want to collaborate to develop the world, they are free to do so. Various publishers may develop areas differently, so we just might see various "alternate" Known Lands, which I think is great because we can pick and choose what to include in our own games.

Overall, my goal here is to create a body of work that is completely open, so that publishers can develop whatever they want and fans can make whatever they want. For profit or not for profit, it's all good. All of the text, except for the Labyrinth Lord trademark, will be designated OGC. The license for using the Labyrinth Lord name is not going to be restrictive at all.

Best,
Dan

Goblinoid Games

First Post
Treebore said:
I was thinking this was closer to the boxed sets or BFRPG that Dragonsfoot did. I could tell they are not "connected", but close.

Just to clarify. The terms of the OGL prevent any explicit indication of compatibility, so I hope this explanation is clear enough. Labyrinth Lord is not based on 1e. It is a retro-clone system compatible with early fantasy RPG boxed sets.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases