Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Ch. 5, The Darkening Wood

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I'm probably going to regret this...

Fearing the long reach of the massive ogre and its warbar will let the creature wreak havoc on his friends and the elves, Lodric steps up to launch a powerful strike at it.

ooc: Stunning Fist unarmed attack +8 1d6+3 (ignore 3 points of DR if applicable)
DC for Stunning Fist: 14 (fortitude)

While I don't have that many HP to take hits from this thing, I figure none of us will last long against it if it manages to connect and since I have the best AC in the party, hopefully I'll avoid a hit or two. Really looking forward to Kaela's Magic Missile :)

Bihlbo

Explorer
OOC: If anything is "normal sound" for an orc, it's the sound of battle. :)

A thrill of terror washes over Mardo as he sees the monsters blasting through the forest. Under his breath he reminds himself, "If we win, I get to loot the bodies." His nerves steeled, he sets his sling spinning.

As soon as the stone is launched Mardo pulls himself back behind the cover of the branches, hoping that no one saw him. He sets another stone into the sling's pocket, grabs a branch, and leans down to see what's happening.

To his surprise, it looks like his first shot had hit! Mardo grins and lets another fly, confident that Herger will be able to hold his own against the onslaught.

Valurel quietly and calmly scans the battlefield until his eyes lock on the closest foe to any of his companions. For the moment, his feral urges are being shoved aside in favor of using his new bow. The smooth and quiet yet powerful pull is intoxicating. He aims and fires.

OOC: Alas, no...Valurel doesn't have Rapid Shot. He actually has no bow feats. Now he has a reason... :D

+8 to hit, 1d8+6 damage (1d8+8 vs. orcs)

Krug

Newshound
Starhl raises his sword again, eager to slice into the oncoming horde. He howls a wolf howl, trying to send fear into the oncoming hordes..

+11 to hit, 2d6+7, cleave if possible

Bobitron

Explorer
Keala, sensing Lodric's desperation, points a slender finger at the ogre and releases her pent up energy in a series of bolts that fly unerringly at the massive creature.

ooc: Magic Missle, targeting the ogre for 3d4+3.

Hrothgar

First Post
Lodric makes the first bold move as the two forces clash in a thunderous din. Crouching low under the ogre's warbar, Lodric swings a furious roundhouse that impacts on the solar plexus of the ogre, actually denting the terrible beast's armor. The ogre steps back visibly shaken, but shrugs off the pain of the blow and swings his warbar at the Erenlander. Lodric's vision swims red and stars as the warbar connects with his shoulder.
OOC: My save for the ogre was 15! Mmmm, OK, I accidentally used a Reflex save bonus - he would have made it by more if I had used his Fortitude bonus. Lodric hit the ogre and did some good damage, but got hit in return for 14 points of damage.

Fearing for Lodric, Kaela shapes Aryth's magic into brilliant motes of piercing energy that slam into the ogre. The ogre screams in pain, its beady eyes growing red with hatred.
OOC: Kaela slammed the ogre with magic missile.

Herger rolls his neck confidently, loosening his muscles in a relaxed manner as the blood-raging orcs bear down on him. As the first nears him, his axe sweeps out, shearing through abdomen and legs of an overbalanced orc. The orc screams and falls to the ground, its life-blood leaking onto the leaf-covered stones. Herger spins with the axe, using its momentum to crash into the shield of another charging orc. The axe smash slows the orcs momentum, but does little else. Two other orcs close, one vardatch narrowly missing the Giant, the second smashing into his ribs.
OOC: Damn, Herger is a monster! Herger obliterates one orc (with an Elf arrow in it) and misses on his cleave attempt. Two orcs are attacking and one hits Herger for 11 points of damage.

Stahrl grips Bjorn's Faith and can only smile with the familiar weight of the blade that has saved his life so many times before. The first charging orc skewers himself on the blade, but fights on, swinging and missing Starhl with its vardatch. Two others close, one vardatch tearing into Starhl's shoulder. The second hits Cyz, blood splattering the ground. The Sarcosan cries out, launches herself on the orc, clawing and ripping at its face. From behind the orcs, a furry of teeth and claws land on one of the orc's back. The orc cries out in pain and turns to face the massive wolf.
OOC: Starhl takes 10 points of damage and does some good damage to one orc. Starhl is fighting one orc, Cyz another, and the wolf another.

Valurel raises his bow once more, his inner feral urges in battle with the calm necessary to wield his bow. Fearing, he may lose control, Valurel fires at least once more...his arrow again piercing the orc, but failing to drop him. Quickly, the orc and one more closes with the Erunsil. One vardatch hitting and spraying blood across the Elf's new bow.
OOC: Valurel takes 12 points of damage. Two orcs are fighting Valurel.

Mardo smiles to himself, the small gnome intoxicated with the success of battle. A new way to make a living? Mardo the Mercenary. Blood sprays across the battlefield below. Umm, probably not. But, like the fine family wine, a few sips can be intoxicating. Aiming at the orc he hit earlier, his bullet this time clangs off the orc's heavy shield.
OOC: Mardo misses, but is still safe in his tree.

The Elves in the trees let loose another volley from the trees above. The orcs cry out in frustration, but continue to battle.
OOC: Several orcs hit with arrows, but none drop.

The lone oruk crashes through the battle lines straight toward Ladriel and Kaela. Spit and froth drip from his fanged maw. Spellcasters! the oruk roars, raising his axe. Ladriel's spell is disrupted in a shower of sparks as the oruk's axe crashes into the dimunitive Elf. Blood splatters Kaela as Ladriel is thrown to the ground. Warbar! Smash the tree! Bring down the vile wood!
OOC: An Oruk is attacking Ladriel and Kaela.

OOC:End of round one. The oruk Lodric dropped earlier spent this round getting up from the Trip attack. Post character actions and attack bonuses, damage, and feats.

Bobitron

Explorer
Her mind swimming with Aryth's power, Kaela decides the ogre remains the larger threat and once again sends bolts of magical energy zooming toward the monster.

ooc: Magic Missle again at the ogre for 3d4+3. Take a step back further from melee, I'd like to make sure I stay out of the ogre's reach and away from the oruk.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Medic!!!! Oh, crap this is Midnight...

Lodric cries out in pain and snatches a look to see if his arm is still attached to his shoulder. The fact that it is there offers little comfort as he knows he cannot stand much more punishment like that. Moving a little more cautiously he strikes again, hoping to keep the ogre from doing more damage.

ooc: Although it probably a waste against this thing's attack and Fort save bonuses, I'll try again, but attacking defensively so my AC is up to an effective 18.

Stunning Fist unarmed attack +4 (after -4 for defensive attack) 1d6+3 (ignore 3 points of DR if applicable)
DC for Stunning Fist: 14 (fortitude)

Lodric's HP: 16

maddmic

Explorer
Herger is somewhat pleased with the results of his initial contact with the enemy. As he is fighting the orcs in front of him, he sees Lodric get pummeled. As he readies his next attack, he calls out. "Friends, if you are able, turn all blades to the huge beast!"

As he is unable to do so, the giant rears back and swings at the most injured orc again.

OOC:
Power attack +2 again.

Power Attack Greataxe +10 (3d6 + 13, x3) (+5 BAB, +5 St, +1 WF, +1 Dorn melee 2handed, -2 power attack, +2 dmg (weapon specialization), +7 damage (strength, x1.5 for 2-handed weapon), +4 damage (+2 from power attack x2 for 2-handed weapon))

As with last round, Cleave into the next target. Need to make quick work of these orcs as the ogre and oruks command Herger's attention.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases