Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Ch. 5, The Darkening Wood

Hrothgar

First Post
Ladriel looks at Starhl and nods. She turns to the broken Elf. Hunter! How did this happen? Did you see the girl and her abductors?

The Elf's sobs stop at the voice from below. He looks, without really seeing, the pain in his broken body so intense that his mind swims in red delirium. He croaks hoarsely, Two men...one old...three Elves...two Caransil...one Erunsil. We surrounded them...we prepared for battle... His body sobs heavily, blood flecking his bruised lips. We saw no girl! He screams. No girl! He calms as the pain of his exertions wash over him. His voice is weaker. We had no time to search for her...Erethor...attacked us...tore us apart. Why? My home...my home. Sobs wrack his body once again.

The pain is so great. Kill me...

OOC: Ladriel translates for the Heroes.

Bihlbo

Explorer
Mardo crouches with stillness in a clump of taller grass next to a tree, watching the surrounding area for danger as he waits on the others to question the poor wretch in the tree. It is obvious that Mardo is making sure not to look at the carnage.

Hrothgar said:
OOC: Ladriel translates for the Heroes.

When the others are done with their loopy woodsy-talk he listens to Ladriel recount the painful words in the humans' tongue. "So... the danger I've been looking for... is no hidden attacker, but the very trees around us?!?"

Bobitron

Explorer
Burying her face in Herger's shoulder and feeling the cold steel on her cheek, now wet not only with stale sweat but her own tears, the young channeler averts her sight from the carnage. She listens to the elf's translation intently, crushing her face against her friend. Hearing Mardo's fears put into word, she turns, a hard look coming over her face.

With a quiet and deadly serious voice, Kaela speaks after a long period of silence.

"We have to get him down. We have to get all of them down."

Laying a hand on the gnome's shoulder, she continues, somewhat softer. "No matter what the dangers."

"Ladriel, can we climb the tree and take down the patrol? If we can't I'll have him cut it down rather than leave them hanging in the branches." She motions to Herger.

Valurel notches an arrow, fluidly pulls the bowstring on the icewood bow back to his ear, takes aim and fires at the hapless elf caught in the vines. "Be at peace, brother.", he says solemnly.

OOC: Gonna put the poor elf out of his misery. From the rather horrifying description, I'm guessing the damage to his body is pretty severe and probably not something you would want to live with. Not to mention the damage to his mind, which doesn't seem completely intact either. Valurel will fire more than one arrow but I hope it doesn't come to that...

+8 to hit, 1d8+6 damage

maddmic

Explorer
The giant stood in silence and shock at the scene before him. He was unable to comprehend what had happened at this site. When the elf spoke of the forest doing this, he shuddered. While trying to comfort Kaela, his mind raced back to the first elven encampment and the words that Mardo spoke. 'The dead girl and the Shadow's tracker are our salvation. Seek them, but don't trust the betrayer.' Certainly this was part of the dream?

Clearing his throat, Herger spoke in a hushed tone. "Perhaps this is the betrayer Mardo was speaking of. It is apparent that we cannot trust the forest at all now." His thoughts then continued. 'Plant the seeds of light in the darkness.' Herger shook his head slowly. "I fear angering the forest any more than has been done. Whether it's confusion anger or some other force, we still don't know. If I were to start chopping the trees down to give these elves a proper burial, I fear our future might not be much unlike theirs."

It was good to know that they were on the right trail, but with this disturbing scene in front of them, it was more evident than ever that they were in danger. His only other though about the poor broken elf was that he had wished he had told them when this happened. With all of the noise, it could've just been moments before they arrived, which could mean immediate danger for the group. Turning to Ladriel, he simply asks, "Whisperer, what would you have us do with your kin?"

OOC:
How long ago was the violent shaking in the forest that we heard? Minutes?

Hrothgar

First Post
OOC: The thrashing sound the Heroes heard was no more than a few minutes previous. Herger feels confident that the sound came from the trees in this area.

The Heroes look at Mardo and glance at each other. As their sight drifts to the green forest around them, a chill runs up their spines despite the warmth of the day. Mardo's words ring true. If the forest dared to conspire against them, would they stand a chance to find Aislinn?

Valurel is the first to break out of his melancholy. Knocking an arrow and drawing back his icewood bow, Valurel lets loose the shaft to strike the tortured Elf in the forehead. Quickly the light of life leaves the Elf's eyes and his chin rests falls onto his bloody chest. Ladriel's tears flow freely at Valurel's act, but she nods in agreement. There was no hope for the unfortunate Elf.

Despite her tears, Ladriel still retains a regal bearing. She nods at Kaela and Herger. Dispel the thought, Giant. If indeed the forest is the betrayer... The small Elf shudders. Yes, we must consign them to the Whisper. I know the rites, but I need Herger to raise me up to them. As Herger stands beneath a giant oak, Ladriel deftly climbs his massive frame to stand on his shoulder. Reaching into her pocket, Ladriel pulls out a small seed. Just a little higher, Giant, so I can reach the mouth of my kinsman...

As the others focus on Ladriel's solemn duties, Valurel notices the deathly quiet in the forest as Ladriel reaches into the lower boughs of the tree. Looking into the trees, Mardo notices the branches and vines that hold the Elfs' remains shift ever so slightly with a menacing hiss, as the branches and vines tighten, unwilling to release their grisly trophies.

As Valurel and Mardo instinctively take a step back, both brush against low hanging branches. Branches that have descended in total silence like stealthily predators ready to spring and tear prey to shreds...

Bihlbo

Explorer
Hrothgar said:
As Valurel and Mardo instinctively take a step back, both brush against low hanging branches. Branches that have descended in total silence like stealthily predators ready to spring and tear prey to shreds...

Mardo ducks and rolls across the forest floor toward Herger, shouting, "Look out!!" to the others. Then, directed toward the trees he says, "We aren't the enemy! Leave us alone trees! Don't kill us too!... drat, how do you talk to trees?"

OOC: Mardo is being fully defensive (AC 19), and attempting to use Diplomacy on the trees. I mean, he figures if they can attack they might be able to understand him, right? He's a gnome, what does he know? Diplo +12

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
As Lodric notices the branches about him, he tries hard to calm his mind and settle his shaking body. In his short time journeying he has seen things that would shatter the minds of many. Evil men, orcs, even the Fell are simple to understand and defend against, but when the very land awakens to destroy, how can any person expect to survive? Remaining as still as possible he turns to Stahrl. "Do you still have that golden acorn? Could this be the darkness where seeds of light should be planted? This certainly seems to be a dark place to me, and perhaps that acorn is a seed of light?"

Krug

Newshound
Starhl grips the hilt of his sword tightly. He rummages through his belongings and extracts the acorn, handing it to Lodric. "It just looks like an acorn to me." he says.

I'm assuming i have it... :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases