Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Ch. 5, The Darkening Wood

maddmic

Explorer
Herger had been trying to get his bearings. The low green glow was welcome and he stood to his full height once again. He tries to see out in the distance, but fails miserably. Starhls warning was the last thing he needed to hear. The giant gripped his axe, unsure of what laid before them. When the elf spoke, it was almost more damaging that comforting. He had hoped at least she would know where they were.

"Let us go then. Which way?" He moves in the same direction as Kaela and the elf as they are his only true guides. He tries to ready himself for anything that might happen, but is unsure if anyone can do that after everything they've been through.

Bobitron

Explorer
Hrothgar said:
OOC: Yes, but Kaela has the green stone? I'll assume you as a player forgot to use it, but Kaela did not.

ooc: Thanks, Hroth. I actually did review my sheet first too! Not sure how I missed that... :heh:

Kaela's breath escapes with a hiss as she spots the figures. Holding her stone high, she lets the green glow fall over as much an area as possible. "Move to the edge. We need to see how deep the water is!"

Unnerved by the feeling of isolation and being trapped, the young woman's eyes dart back and forth to seek the insect-men.

"If we can get across, the trees might provide solcae." The doubt is clear in her voice.

Bihlbo

Explorer
Upon seeing the orc, Mardo instinctively crouches and hides behind something, moving off to the side to keep from being seen as he waits to see what Valurel does.

OOC: Hide +15, Move Silently +6 - he's trying to stay hidden so if the orc closes, Mardo can easily flank and attack before the orc knows he's there. If Mardo gets close to the orc, he'll be looking over the orc's belongings for things like potions, extra weapons, belts, or anything else within reach that he might be able to snag before the orc can make use of it.

Hrothgar

First Post
Lodric, Valurel, Mardo, and the Wolf.

The tall orc does not immediately answer Valurel's pointed question. Falling to one knee near the golden oak, Thune sniffs the ground while feeling the texture of the new oak. Standing, the Widowmaker strides down to the jumble of broken stones at far ends of the oak's gnarled roots, feeling the stones and searching the ground for some unknown spoor. Nearby, the wolf growls is distress, its eyes glancing between Heroes and orc. As the orc moves, the wolf moves as well, but never coming closer than 20 feet. Thune merely ignores the beast.

Slinking through the underbrush, Mardo comes within several feet of the mighty orc. Well over seven feet tall, Thune does not carry the brutish build of his brothers. Instead, this orc seems built for speed. In addition to its armor, the orc carries a black, unstrung bow across his back and two heavy, long knives, more like shortswords, with bone handles on a worn leather belt. A few pouches hang at the orc's waist, but their contents are unknown.

Finally, turning to look at first Lodric, then Valurel, the orc stands to his full height, one foot raised on a gnarled root like some savage conqueror. With a growl like thunder that surprisingly displays little emotion, Thune speaks with a heavy Norther accent. Most likely where the rest of your companions went, Snow Fey. The Golden Oak you planted here has sundered an Old Way. The Dorn girl and her captors followed the Old Way into the Darkening Wood. Here Thune's eyes narrow ever so slightly. As you must know.

Thune's attention drifts from Valurel and his bow and Lodric to the trees above. Standing silently, his head twists slightly as if he were listening to the trees. With a sniff of the wind and a suprising grunt, the rangy orc strides down the gnarled roots to the cracked stone and heads south into the forest...

Herger, Starhl, Kaela, Ladriel, and Cyz.

The oppressive darkness and foreign setting only enhance the fear and despair in the Heroes hearts. Stepping down into the cold water, they find it waist high (thigh high for Herger). Chilled by water, the Heroes shake and shiver as they trudge through the muck. Heading for the trees, they find that solid ground is not near. Instead, they find a vast, gnarled forest dotted with weathered ruins and small mud islands.

Hearts beat fast at the strange noises in the swamp. A splash from some unknown animal nearby. The tittering that fades, only to reappear. The scabble of claws on bark in the trees above them, lost in the darkness that Kaela's green stone cannot pentrate. For the first time, Ladriel seems panicked. Out of control. Desperate. She is disconnected from the Whisper, and without it, she has lost herself.

Kaela and Herger lead the way, the green stone raised ahead in Kaela's hand. How long they walk through the cold, mucky swamp is lost. Starhl is sure he spied the sun peaking through the dark leaves and skeletal, twisted branches above. But, the darkness does not seem to fade, the trees above seeming to drink any light from the sun.

When hope seems finally lost, and the swamp will not let them escape from its clutches, a ravine wall rises above them, its height lost in darkness. The wall is wet with cold springs that drip and turn the dirt into slick mud. Surprisingly, a narrow trail winds precariously up its side into the darkness. However, hope is not coming. Immense spider webs coat the trees and ravine here. Dark shapes move in the webs, colored in a green sheen by Kaela's stone. The tittering is loudest here, welcoming the Heroes to the ravine wall and its path, and the first sign of possible escape from the cold clutches of the swamp...

Krug

Newshound
Starhl clutches his sword warily. He approaches carefully, realising that this is the perfect place for an ambush. His eyes dart around, trying to see if they might be descending into a trap...

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Lodric looks at Valurel with some surprise on his face. He seems completely unconcerned about us. We know he is seeking Aislinn. We are as well, but I don't have the first idea of how to do that now. Do we dare to follow him?

Bihlbo

Explorer
A small rock falls at Lodric's feet from the direction of the orc. Up ahead, Mardo has hold of his cart and is already moving toward the trail left by the hunter, motioning for the other two to follow, but trying his best to make no sound.

Thornir Alekeg said:
Lodric looks at Valurel with some surprise on his face. He seems completely unconcerned about us. We know he is seeking Aislinn. We are as well, but I don't have the first idea of how to do that now. Do we dare to follow him?

"I believe we have little choice. His actions are peculiar to say the least, especially for an orc. Our little friend seems to be already on the move. I suggest we follow before he get out of sight and into trouble. Let us see if we can determine what this orc's intentions are."

Valurel moves out, starting to follow Mardo and the orc into the forest, making little effort to hide his movements....

Bobitron

Explorer
Steeling her nerves with a firm nod, Kaela starts walking toward the precarious path. Her mind is racing to recall the words of two powerful spells; one to put creatures to sleep, and the other a powerful blast of fire.

"The path doesn't look fun, but it does seem like the only choice. Let's go. We have to find our way back to the others."

ooc: Depending on how packed the spider things are when they appear, I'll use Fireball or Deep Slumber. Lean toward Fireball. Hopefully I can clear the webs a bit. If only one or two enemies approach, Slumber them in hopes of avoiding more. Fireball is DC17 for 5d6.

Remove ads