Midnight: A Lost Faith's Shadow. Book 1, The Awakening. Ch. 5, The Darkening Wood

maddmic

Explorer
Herger stare up at the wall before them. Looking around and listening to the sounds about them he shakes his head. "I've already fallen once today and that path does not look all that pleasant. On top of that, should we be ambushed, we could all tumble back down here and certainly not be as lucky as before."

He then grips his axe with determination. In a stronger voice, puts himself in between the closest web and his companions. "No, I shall make my stand here. I will fight these things on level ground and not hanging off of some path carved into a wall."

Hrothgar

First Post
Lodric, Valurel, Mardo, and the Wolf.

[sblock] Quite surprised at the orc's behavior, the Heroes quickly mobilize to follow the tall Widowmaker. Trailing the orc becomes difficult. Despite his size, the orc is moves through the forest with great speed leaving little signs of his passing. However, Valurel's tracking ability picks up the faint signs of the orc's trail. The orc's pace is faster than Ladriel's, pushing the limits of Valurel's and Lodric's endurance. Mardo is quickly left behind in the forest, even losing the sound of his companions moving ahead of him. Dismayed, the gnome is heartened by the sight of the Wolf looking over his shoulder at Mardo, waiting for him on the path ahead. As Mardo nears the Wolf, the lupine slinks ahead into the deep green. Mardo follows, only to see him ahead, waiting once again. Despite Mardo's short legs, the Wolf sees to it that Mardo does not lose the trail.

The pace is brutal and long. Darkness settles on the land, leaving the Heroes searching in the dark. As Lodric and Valurel begin to despair they have lost Thune, Valurel sees the tall orc crouching at the edge of a ravine, looking down into the darkness.

The orc turns to look at the two in the darkness, the Widowmaker nothing more than a black spot against the night in the gloomy forest. The sight of the two elicits a grunt from the orc, possibly a sign of surprise. The orc turns back to look down the ravine. His low voice rumbles threateningly in the dark. Your girl is my prey. We should gut each other here and now. But, the deeps of the Darkening Wood lies below us. I do not know what is down there. His bulk shifts slightly in the dark. Strength in numbers is good. Down there, few return who enter. If we find the girl, then we spill each others blood.

Slinking down the ravine, the orc begins to disappear into the darkness. Mardo just arrives to see the orc disappear...[/sblock]

Herger, Starhl, Kaela, Ladriel, and Cyz.

[sblock] As the Heroes begin their climb up the mud covered ravine wall, they pause looking back at Herger. The Giant, the second mighty Dorn warrior in their fractured band, stands unwilling to venture into the webs clinging to the escarpment above.

While they wait, shadows flit at the edges of the green luminescence from Kaela's stone. Small furtive figures, lost in webbing skulk at the edge of the light, but are unwilling to meet the Giant on his own terms. The Heroes stand alone in the cold water and mud, despite the tittering in above.

Ladriel still says little, her face pale, her mind reeling in shock at her disconnect from the whisper. Cyz, however, displays her Sarcosan hot-bloodedness. Giant! The only way out of this mud-hole is that path! Unless you have a better suggestion, we will rot down in this muck. Unless of course we weaken and those creatures then descend on us! Which would your prefer?

As Herger's own anger starts to rise, a hoarse feeble voice drifts down from the darkness above, lost somewhere in the webs above. Who is down there? Someone? Help me! Aryth help me![/sblock]

Bobitron

Explorer

[sblock]Eyes flashing at the noise, Kaela turns to Herger with pleading eyes. "Please, Herger." Her voice is barely a whisper. From the expression on her face, you can tell how much Herger's departure from the group would hurt her.[/sblock]

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!

[sblock] Mardo, thank goodness you didn't get lost. We are following the Widowmaker into the ravine. He has agreed that he won't try to kill us until we find Aislinn so we can work together against the perils of the Wood below. I have never met an orc as friendly as him. I will almost regret having to try and kill him once we find Aislinn. [/sblock]

Krug

Newshound
[sblock]
"Who is down there?" says the barbarian instinctively, not thinking that it might be a foe... ;)
[/sblock]

Last edited:

[sblock]Valurel only growls in answer to Lodric's words before following the orc into the ravine. He shoulders his bow tentatively, not trusting the Widowmaker for a second but realizing that he is still armed, even with the bow not in his hands.[/sblock]

Bihlbo

Explorer

[sblock]Mardo grunts with fatigue and frustration as his new friends dart into the valley. Growling to himself, "Why can't just one orc be worth trusting?"[/sblock]

maddmic

Explorer
OOC:
Sorry all, family in from out of town for our daughters 2nd birthday.

IC:
Herger shakes his head. "It is not a question of my devotion to you all. If these creatures are even slightly intelligent, they are only waiting for us to climb the thin path before attacking us. I simply prefer to fight them on solid ground."

The large Dorn then scowls at Cyz. Before he can speak, he hears the voice pleading for help. "Who is there? Show yourself. Where are you? What manner of beast is here with us?" Absentmindedly, he begins to move towards the sound, up the path.

Hrothgar

First Post

[sblock]Lodric, Valurel, Mardo, and the wolf descend down a steep, wooded ravine following the path of their unlikely pathfinder. The Widowmaker is barely visible in the darkness, a darkness that has grown with the steep descent, smothering the Heroes in a clutching embrace. The darkness does not feel natural and the eerie silence in the trees only compounds the unease. The Widowmaker slows his pace considerably, wary of this dark forest. While the other Heroes can sense the unease about them, Valurel blanches at the oppressive hatred and rage that emanates from the trees. The land itself is angry and their intrusion into this Darkening Wood has not gone unnoticed. Ghostly whispers sound in the Snow Elf's ears, angry warnings delivered by the Whisper. Valurel shudders at what has become of this twisted land.

The Widowmaker leads the band on in silence, unwilling to divulge any secrets of his destination. Hours pass, and time is lost. The forest above them gathers closely, hovering above them like angry sentinels. In the green dark, if the sun is out above them, they would never see it.

Dropping down through several more ravine cuts in the forest floor, Valurel senses something in the Whisper above. More anger? No. Focused anger. As if the forest around them was listening to something far away. Following in silence, Valurel realizes Thune follows the directed focus of the trees, the source of their attention. How could the Orc have sensed it so far away previously? Valurel shrugs. Regardless, the Elf can find his way toward the Orc's destination.

Passing through the dark trees, the Heroes find themselves moving through stone ruins, large ominous dark shapes that rise into the trees around them, or lay sadly decaying on the forest floor. Running their hands over the weathered stones, faint shapes and runes can be felt. Mardo can only wonder at the stories that such ruins could tell, as well as any items that might be of value on the black market.

With time, a faint roar can be heard ahead of the Heroes, as if from a large waterfall. With every step, the roar grows, almost deafening. At the edge of another steep drop, they find its source: a massive wind that tears through the trees, sending the green limbs of the forest giants swaying and crashing in an angry dance. Fallen leaves drift down over the Heroes, as their eyes strain into the darkness below. There, somewhere deep in the forest, emanates a faint green light that fades and reappears with the twisting trees. The Widowmaker turns to Valurel. You sense it to, Snow Elf? The anger in the trees? But not the anticipation of the bloodletting. The trees below dance, expecting to thrust their roots in blood-soaked ground. The Orc turns to the other Heroes as he begins to string his bow, his voice rumbling through the leafy din. Ready your weapons. Our quarry is near.[/sblock]

[sblock]The Heroes shiver in the knee deep water, the heavy wind cause the trees to creak and twist. Above, in the light of Kaela's green stone, the heavy webs flit and shudder. The voice cries out once again in agony. By the grace of the Queen, is someone there! Do not leave me! I am Elrith, Elven Caransil hunter! I cannot seem to move!

Following Herger's lead, the Heroes stay close together as they scramble up the muddy, treacherous path. Small furtive figures move in the webs, their shadows scrambling to stay at the edge of Kaela's green light. Their tittering growing high with expectation, only to scream as Kaela raises her light. Whatever the creatures are, they certainly do not like light. Or at least, Kaela's green light.

Soon, the Heroes progress far enough up the steep, winding path so that Kaela's light no longer illuminates the swamp below. Above, the steep ravine wall stretches into darkness, giving the Heroes an eerie feeling of being trapped in a no-man's land, with nothing above or below them. I see your light! Over here!

Stepping gingerly off the mud path onto a dirt ledge, Herger pushes forward into the webs. Several large spiders drop onto the ground in front of him, which he promptly crushes with his foot. Using his axe to shear a path into the webs, he breaks into a small cyst within the webs. Peering over his shoulder, the Heroes blood runs cold. Stretched and held tight against the cliff face is an Elf, or what once was. His arms and legs are knotted with webbing that stretches into the webs above and below him, holding the poor creature in an upright position. Numerous small spiders crawl across his body, scurrying out of sight of Kaela's green stone. The Elf's once slender belly is grotesquely distorted, small things scurrying just under the skin stretched tight over the belly. The far side of the Elf's face and chest have...changed. Replaced is the flawless skin and beauty of a Caransil. Now, the flesh is blackened, one eye multi-faceted, heavy hairs protruding between chitinous plates.

Please, help me down. I think I was bitten by a spider and I cannot move. [/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases