Feat Ban/Change

Knight Otu

First Post
I hate to make any changes to the SRD rules, but in this case, I feel it might be necessary.

Rystil Arden said:
These feats are not for everyone, but the problem is that when you choose the right spell to Persistant, it can be devastating (though otherwise it is quite harmless) and ICE when used by an appropriate build (or a monster with more HD than CR) will make them unhittable except on a 20 by any opponent.
Rystil Arden said:
that's the thing about the feat--it is utterly worthless most of the time, but then it becomes totally broken the rest of the time. There isn't really a common ground. This is particularly true of several spells not in LEW (Wraithstrike is a key offender, since 24 hours of making all your melee attacks touch attacks is, well, scary), but it causes trouble in other places as well. Basically: It should be banned because a player would never take it unless they were planning on abusing it, due to the extreme price of the metamagic. I would suggest perhaps replacing it with something that is more useful but less liable to be abused, perhaps a feat that increases the duration from rounds to minutes, minutes to 10 minutes, 10 minutes to hours at a cost of +2 spell level (and cap the duration this feat could allow at 24 hours) and doesn't work at all on spells that only last one round.
Rystil Arden said:
Again, ICE is not a feat that is overwhelming for any character in extistance, but any character who would go to the length of taking the feat is probably one of the ones who can get extreme mileage out of it. The idea of Combat Expertise in a 1-on-1 is to play up a character's greater to hit vs AC ratio in order to cause their opponent's chance to hit to become proportionally much lower to their own (in a fight where many people are smacking you, it becomes even more useful, of course), ideally causing any opponent you might possibly be facing to miss you except on a 20, and ICE in combination with increasing ability to purchase defensive items causes that to come true for just about everything you face except bruiser boss monsters. This is a huge problem in many typical situations, especially narrow dungeon corridors or when the ICE player is interposed in front of the squisher party members, and it basically means that the GM cannot expect to challenge the ICE character with mooks, even if the mooks are only 2 or 3 levels below the ICE character. To see an example of ICE in action, trying facing off a Half-Fiend Tyrannosaurus with ICE versus one with the standard Tyrannosaurus feats--the one with ICE will rip the other one into the next world, probably without getting hit while it does so. These are my experiences with allowing a character to take ICE (he once challenged an occupying force that invaded his home city to a duel and won though admittedly Elusive Target helped him out there).

Proposal 1 and 2 - Ban (1) Persistant Spell and (2) Superior Expertise (also known as Improved Combat Expertise). These two feats are technically legal in LEW due to being part of the Divine SRD, but have been identified as being potentially problematic. We are reaching a point where these two feats may enter play, so we should decide now.
These bans will not affect existing characters, as no character has yet taken any of these feats.

Proposal 3 - Limit Energy Substitution by not allowing Sonic as an energy type that can be substituted to. As with the previous two feats, this feat entered via the Divine SRD, but unlike many others there was not updated to the 3.5 version (which also disallows Sonic). I am not certain if a character has taken this feat. If this proposal goes through, a character with this feat should be allowed to switch to a different feat.

Proposal 4 - Freeze automatic approval of SRD content. While it is unlikely that it will ever come to this, there have been mumblings of SRD updates periodically. Since we can't be sure what (if anything) would be added this way, I want to stop automatic approval of new additions to the SRD. This would mean that only the Core SRD, the Epic SRD, the Divine SRD, and the Psionic SRD are used in addition to homebrewed content. SRD updates can however be approved to be added to LEW.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
I vote YES to the first three, but I'm not sure what you mean by the fourth. Updates meaning, erratta? Or like the Complete Divine being added to the SRD as a separate section, for some mysterious reason? If it's the latter, I agree with you; if it's the former, I don't.

orsal

LEW Judge
Bront said:
YES

Assuming #4 is refering to new stuff, not erratta, which I'm assuming it is.

That was my understanding too -- basically, saying "when we decided to use the SRD, we were thinking of a particular document as it is, and didn't intend to authorize WotC to change LEW rules automatically every time it decided to add something to the SRD."

I also vote Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes to the four proposals, in that order.

Heckler

First Post
Woah, woah, woah, slow down!

I never noticed that part of the SRD before, and I've been nosing around the LEW feats, and there appears to be some redundancy that should be cleared up.

SRD has Energy Substitution. Prereqs: Any other metamagic, Kn(ARC) 5. Choose one type of energy when you pick the feat. Change energy spells to that one type of energy only. Spell level +0.

LEW has Energy Manipulation. No prereqs. Change an energy spell to any other energy type. Spell level +1 for the four classic elements, +2 for sonic.

Another one I noticed...

SRD has Subdual Substitution. Prereqs: Any other metamagic, Kn(ARC) 5. Changes any energy-damage spell to non-lethal. Spell level +0.

LEW has Merciful Spell. Prereq: WIS 13. Spell does non-lethal instead of lethal damage. If damage is typed (e.g. fire) it is still damage of that type. Spell level +0.

Do we really need all of these?

Seems to me Energy Manip is very good, maybe too good, compared to Energy Sub. Being able to change the flavor of my Fireball all day for +1 spell level and no prereqs? I'll take that any day.

Subdual and Meciful are really close, also. I don't like that Mercyful doesn't remove the original damage type, but with its prereq its something I could take at first level.

But for simplicity's sake, shouldn't we get rid of one or the other set of feats?

Bront

The man with the probe
Nah, they're both good.

No more Sonic in Energy Sub, and Manip gives you flexability for 1 level, while the other lets you change anything but to only one type.

Merciful Spell is a bit more powerful than the other one, as it only changes typed damage.

Remove ads