[OOC] Underdogs [a core dnd game][4/4]

Autumn

First Post
Apologies; the game just slipped through my net. I find that when a game has been active - 5+ posts per day - I have no problem remembering to check it, but in my slower-moving games I can sometimes miss updates.

Obviously that's not a problem with the game, it's a problem with me, and I'm working on it. I'm still really enjoying this game, and eagerly anticipating what's going to happen with the gnolls.

doghead

thotd
OK. If anyone does start feeling a bit 'meh', do speak up. Seriously.

covaithe, the characters probably have a couple of rounds, rather than minutes, before 'contact'. Putting on armour, even hastily, will take at least 5 rounds for hide, and 1 minute for Mogro.

Some more thoughts:

* the campsite provides reasonable cover and concealment in the form of trees and small boulders.
* the campsight is slightly elevated, giving defenders a slight advantage.

Not trying to push you along any particular course of action - just trying think of anything that might help you make decisions.

doghead
aka thotd

covaithe

Explorer
To be honest I didn't remember the rules for putting on and taking off armor, I just had a vague idea that it took less time if you had someone helping you. If there isn't time, there isn't time. In other words, if Assaq notices the voices getting close, or sees movement, he'll leave off helping anyone with armor and start pointing them towards defensive positions. In particular, he'll use gestures to try to get Adokul to hide and look for a backstab. If you like I can post to that effect IC, but it would probably make more sense to do it in response to being told that the voices are getting closer, or whatever.

You probably already have this in mind, but I only just remembered, so it can't hurt to remind you that Assaq has goblinoids as his favored enemy.

doghead

thotd
ic - Underdogs

Having assistance will help Mogro with his banded, but not Ershe with hide armour. The times above are for hastily donning armour, which doesn't seem to get any benefit from having a second person helping.

There probably isn't time and Assaq would be able to guess that. Rereading the ic post, that isn't as clear as I wanted. I'll edit it.

doghead
aka thotd

doghead

thotd
ooc - Underdogs

I'll put this here to save cluttering the ic thread and having to stuff around with sblocks.

I'm at a bit of an impasse here. What is the nature of the krel's relationship to goblins in general, and to whatever nearby goblin tribes there are in particular? Assaq has goblinoids as a favored enemy, so I assume there's at least fairly regular conflict, and that Assaq isn't too fond of them. But are they kill-on-sight enemies, or would violence be saved as a last resort? And how strange is it to see goblins here, less than a day's march from the krel? Is it commonplace, or would it be a reason for a call to arms?

I'm leaning towards attacking them first anyways, on the presumption that goblins have no legitimate business being here, but I might change my mind if it's normal for them to be here.

I'm likewise at a little bit of an impasse in need of more information. Particularly, does the krel have precautions against raiding parties of goblins? If we let these slip by, roughly how likely is it that they could cause serious damage? Are there farms and holdings outside the Falls that they could raid? And are they even headed towards the krel?

Hopefully this answers your questions.

The relationship between the grel and the goblins is less than friendly. But not outright hostile. The goblins are something like a persistent low level nuisance. They prefer to steal than fight. Goblin bands are more of a threat to lone travellers or hunters. If there is a chance to kill and loot without anyone knowing they did it, some goblins might take the opportunity. On occasion, the goblins have been known to launch sustained raids on the kingdom - caravans and outlying communities are the most common target. But such actions usually result in a retaliation that leaves the goblins worse off than when they started. So they are uncommon.

Goblins this close to the krel is not unheard of. Goblins also use the forest for hunting. Assaq would likely have had crossed paths with goblins, or the signs of their passing, before. Every year, at least a couple of Falls suffer loses of stock to goblin raids. Mostly on herds being grazed in the higher pastures.

Some in the krel take a 'kill on sight' approach to goblins. Others tend to take a more 'i don't bother them if they don't bother me' approach. Generally, the krel doesn't have any scouts keeping watch for goblin threats. If hunters or woodcutters spot signs of goblin activity in the surrounding area, everyone might be a bit more cautious for a while. But if nothing happens, and usually it doesn't, they soon go back to business as usual. Of course, at the moment (with the gnolls and all), its likely that the krel does have sentries posted and warriors ready. So a band this size would pose little danger. Also, if the goblins following the river downstream, they are unlikely to be heading towards the krel. The river eventually crosses on of the main trade route out of the Kingdom. So following it will take them into the kingdom, and there are human farms and villages that way.

So in a nutshell, the presence of a goblin band of three in this area isn't that surprising and doesn't necessarily pose a threat to the krel. But generally, most would agree that goblins in the area is never a good sign.

doghead
aka thotd

doghead

thotd
ooc - Underdogs

We seem to have lost a player, so I am looking for a new one to fill the gap. Underdogs is a core only dnd game. The current characters are four half orcs (called grell in this setting) all from the same settlement in the Kingdom of Hella. Hella is a fairly convential 'vanilla' fantasy setting. Half orcs in Hella live on the fringes of the Kingdom, both geographically and culturally. The current characters are a fighter, a druid, a ranger and a rogue, all level 4. The missing player played the rogue.

If you are interested, have a look at the first few posts of this thread. If you are still interested post up a concept. The character should be a grel from the same settlement, and be able to work in with the other three characters. The three current players will have a say in any submissions.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

doghead
aka thotd

Autumn

First Post
Cool, fingers crossed we get some response from potential replacements. :)

Apologies for the proliferation of OOC questions rather than IC action, but I have another quickie... do Goblins tend to speak Trader?

doghead

thotd
No problem with the questions. Most of this is just my thoughts on the matter. None of it is set in stone, so if you have any thoughts on the ideas presented, feel free to post them up. Sometimes I have thought the stuff out before hand, sometimes I haven't.

So, to the question at hand. Er, probably not much I think.

I was thinking that the goblins are fairly isolationist. They spend most of their time competing with each other to raise the status of their clan within their tribe,and their tribe among the clans. One of the reasons goblins are considered so 'unpredictable' is that there are almost no lines of communication between them and the Kingdom or others with whom the kingdom has open lines of communication. There is very little interaction between them and the rest of the world, even in trade. Which makes them something of a rarity in the world.

Of course, they do raid the outside world now and then. So some goblins may have picked up Trader. Or possibly even Dornish.

doghead
aka thotd

doghead

thotd
ooc - Underdogs

Hey Voda, another rogue would work nicely. The current party make up is quite nicely balanced. So the next step is to give me a character concept. Just a couple of paragraphs - personality, history, description at this stage. When that's all sorted, we can do the mechanics.

Meanwhile, if you would like to ghost Adokul (the current rogue) that would be great. It means that you could jump right in until we have a chance to insert your character. And it also means I don't have to do it. I've never been fond of ghosting PC's.

doghead
aka thotd

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases