Graz'zt, the Dark Prince (Demonomicon style)

Razz

Banned
Banned
Using a combination of the Book of Vile Darkness, Expedition to the Demonweb Pits, Fiendish Codex I: Hordes of the Abyss, and Dragon Magazine's: Demonomicon, I've put together a conversion of a CR 32 Demon Prince Graz'zt for those of us wanting a Graz'zt conversion.

Apparently, Demogorgon is our last Demonomicon, which leaves Orcus and Graz'zt left of the "Big Three" demon princes. However, Orcus gets his write-up in Dungeon Magazine's Savage Tide AP (lucky bastard), which leaves only Graz'zt.

Using a combination of what he was given officially in Book of Vile Darkness, Expedition to the Demonweb Pits, Fiendish Codex I, and comparing it to the demon princes/queens in the Demonomicon issues, I've come up with this. I've also used the advancement rules in Fiendish Codex I for Graz'zt since they were used for the other demon lords, too.

So, I bring you Demonomicon-style Graz'zt for your game's entertainment:

Graz'zt, the Dark Prince
Large Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar, Tanar'ri)
Hit Dice: 37d8+518 (684 hp)
Initiative: +15
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 53 (-1 size, +11 Dexterity, +22 natural, +4 deflection, +7 shield), touch 24, flat-footed 42
Base Attack/Grapple: +37/+51
Attack: +5 acidic burst bastard sword +52 melee (2d8+15/17-20 plus 1d6 acid [+1d10 acid on a critical hit])
Full Attack: +5 acidic burst bastard sword +52/+47/+42/+37 melee (2d8+15/17-20 plus 1d6 acid [+1d10 acid on a critical hit])
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Fear, eldritch blast, swift seduction, summon tanar'ri
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., damage reduction 20/cold iron, epic, and good, fast healing 15, immunity to electricity and poison, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10, sanctuary aura, item master, true seeing, spell-like abilities, spell resistance 45, telepathy 300 ft.
Saves: Fort +34, Ref +31, Will +27
Abilities: Str 31, Dex 32, Con 39, Int 38, Wis 24, Cha 44
Skills: Balance +55, Bluff +57, Climb +50, Concentration +54, Diplomacy +65, Disguise +57 (+61 acting), Forgery +54, Gather Information +57, Hide +51, Intimidate +61, Jump +58, Knowledge (arcana) +54, Knowledge (history) +54, Knowledge (religion) +54, Knowledge (the planes) +54, Listen +47, Move Silently +51, Search +54, Sense Motive +47, Spellcraft +58, Spot +47, Survival +7 (+11 on planes, tracking), Tumble +55
Feats: Cleave, Combat Expertise, Dark Speech, Dodge, Empower Spell-Like Ability (unholy blight), Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bastard sword), Great Cleave, Improved Critical (bastard sword), Improved Initiative, Mobility, Power Attack, Spring Attack, Weapon Focus (bastard sword)
Environment: Any
Challenge Rating: 32
Treasure: Quadruple standard
Alignment: Always chaotic evil

Graz'zt carries the following possessions: +5 acidic burst bastard sword, major cloak of displacement, and a +5 mithral heavy shield.

Spell-Like Abilities: At will---astral projection, blasphemy (DC 34), charm monster (DC 31), damning darkness (DC 31), darkbolt (DC 29), desecrate, detect good, detect law, detect thoughts (DC 29), eyebite (DC 33), Graz'zt's long grasp, greater dispel magic, greater teleport, plane shift (DC 32), shapechange, telekinesis (DC 32), tongues (continuously active), unhallow, unholy aura*, unholy blight (DC 31), wretched blight (DC 34); 3/day---dominate person (DC 32), empowered unholy blight (DC 31), polymorph any object (DC 35), symbol of persuasion (DC 33); 1/day---disintegrate (DC 33), trap the soul (DC 36), veil (DC 33). Caster level 25th. *Figured into statistics

Sanctuary Aura (Su): Graz'zt is protected at all times by a sanctuary effect (Will DC 45 negates). Unlike the spell, however, this effect is a mind-affecting enchantment. A creature that makes its saving throw cannot be affected again by the same aura for 24 hours.

Fear (Su): As a free action, Graz'zt can inspire fear (as the spell of the same name) by sneer and word once per round in any target creature within 60 feet. This effect can be resisted with a DC 45 Will save. This is a mind-affecting fear ability. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Swift Seduction (Sp): As a swift action, Graz'zt can try to make an ally any creature within 120 feet. The target must make a DC 45 Will save or immediately make a single melee or ranged attack against one of its allies. Taking this action doesn't affect the subject's normal place in the initiative order. Swift seduction is a mind-affecting compulsion effect equivalent to a 3rd-level spell, and it is usable at will. A creature that saves cannot be affected by the same swift seduction ability for 24 hours.

Eldritch Blast (Sp): Graz'zt can use an eldritch blast like that of a warlock (Complete Arcane, page 5) at will. The ray springs from his fingertips and streaks towards a single target. If Graz'zt makes a successful ranged touch attack, the eldritch blast deals 17d6 points of damage (no saving throw). The ray has a range of 60 feet and is subject to spell resistance (caster level 37th).

Item Master (Ex): Graz'zt can use any magic item, even spell completion items such as wands and scrolls. Unlike Demogorgon, he does not create items.

True Seeing (Su): Graz'zt has the true seeing effect constantly active; this ability cannot be dispelled.

Summon Tanar'ri (Sp): Once per day, Graz'zt can automatically summon 1d2+1 glabrezu or 1d2 balors. This ability is equivalent to a 9th-level spell.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONVERSION NOTES
First, I upgraded Graz'zt from FCI by 10 Hit Dice, as they did with Demogorgon.

Using the rules in FCI, this gave Graz'zt:

---Increased CR by 10
---Increased SR to 45 (CR + 13)
---Increased skill points
---Three more feats
---Added epic to DR
---Additional 3 ability points (one at 28 HD, one at 32 HD, one at 36 HD)
---Additional +4 to all ability scores (for the 10 HD increase)
---The spell-like abilities blasphemy, plane shift, shapechange, and unholy aura
---Caster level increased by 5

First, I allocated his ability points. After adjusting all his ability scores by 4 from his FCI version, I placed 2 points on his Charisma since that's Graz'zt's main ability, and the last one on Intelligence making the 37 a 38.

His skill point total turned out to be 880. I maxed out all his skills, which still left me with 120 points. Thus, I gave Graz'zt three new class skills. I gave him Balance, Climb, and Jump. I gave him Climb mainly because he's not a natural flier and has no natural way of granting himself the ability to fly. Knowledge (local) seemed more a logical choice, however, given his penchant for mating with creatures on the Material Plane, so change it to Knowledge (local) if that suits more your own version of Graz'zt.

Also, his synergy bonus is +4, not +2. This is because of the Epic Level ruling on skill ranks. At 5 ranks the synergy bonus is +2, which increases by +2 for every 20 ranks invested. Considering his ranks are all well above 25, the synergy bonus is +4.

I gave him Mobility, Spring Attack, and Great Cleave to build off his Dodge and Cleave feats.

I gave him many of the spell-like abilities of his BoVD version. You can ignore those if you don't have BoVD.

According to his FCI version, he has +5 glamered mithral fullplate, +5 heavy steel shield, major cloak of displacement, and a +5 acidic burst bastard sword. I took off his fullplate due to the speed decrease and the skill check penalties. His +11 Dexterity bonus was more than enough to protect him and taking off the full plate only took off 2 from his already beefy AC. I did keep the shield, however, to keep the beefy AC he had in FCI but made it mithral to take off the skill check penalties.

According to both FCI and BoVD, I kept the fear ability. Seeing how he's rated CR 32, I kept the BoVD version of his summon ability, which was made for a CR 30 Graz'zt anyway.

I gave him his Sanctuary Aura and Swift Seduction abilities because this is what was given to his Aspect form in Expedition to the Demonweb Pits . These two abilities were ripe and perfect for his CR 32 version.

He was given Item Master in BoVD, and this also suits Graz'zt's CR 32 version so I gave this to him as well.

His fast healing was 10 in FCI. As a CR 32 demon prince, I considered fast healing 20 like Demogorgon, but I wanted to differentiate the fact that Demogorgon is CR 33 and Graz'zt is CR 32. So I pegged 5 points off the fast healing and gave him fast healing 15 instead.

His Eldritch Blast ability was another given to him also by Expedition to the Demonweb Pits, but I had to consider this one for a long time. He was already formidable with what he had, but then I debated that this is a perfect ranged attack for him and it was only one blast per round at the use of a standard action. I figured, heck, why not!? He's CR 32, he should have this also to make him tough enough for 32nd-level characters. So I gave him eldritch blast. Since his Aspect was given eldritch blast damage based on his HD being equal to Warlock level, I did the same. Using the epic rules and errata from Complete Arcane, his eldritch blast caster level was 37th (equal to his HD) and his eldritch blast damage turned out to be 17d6. Besides, Demogorgon is only 1 CR above him and he has Dual Actions. :p

Finally, I gave Graz'zt true seeing to emulate his see invisibility from BoVD. I toyed with just letting him keep see invisiblity and not true seeing, but being CR 32 I gave him true seeing instead. His telepathy also increased to 300 ft.

Last edited:

Razz

Banned
Banned
demiurge1138 said:
What's the source on Grazz't's long grasp? Is that another BoVD spell?

Demiurge out.

Yes, some of his spell-like abilities I pulled from his BoVD version, Graz'zt's long grasp is one of them.

Further notes on my conversion are now listed above in my edit. :D

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Razz said:
Yes, some of his spell-like abilities I pulled from his BoVD version, Graz'zt's long grasp is one of them.

Further notes on my conversion are now listed above in my edit. :D
Neat! Love the conversion notes. Always good to see what a designer is thinking.

Demiurge out.

Pants

First Post
Great work! Graz'zt has always been my favorite and he's always been gipped on the power scale, from 3e to 2e (where he was one of the *few* Demon Lords to get some anemic stats).

Good to see someone thinks he deserves some respect. :)

Razz said:
Apparently, Demogorgon is our last Demonomicon, which leaves Orcus and Graz'zt left of the "Big Three" demon princes. However, Orcus gets his write-up in Dungeon Magazine's Savage Tide AP (lucky bastard), which leaves only Graz'zt.
Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but there was a quote in the latest Dragon that suggests there might be another Demonomicon entry before THE END. Maybe it's referring to Demo's issue, but I figured I'd throw that out there.

Razz

Banned
Banned
Pants said:
Great work! Graz'zt has always been my favorite and he's always been gipped on the power scale, from 3e to 2e (where he was one of the *few* Demon Lords to get some anemic stats).

Good to see someone thinks he deserves some respect. :)

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but there was a quote in the latest Dragon that suggests there might be another Demonomicon entry before THE END. Maybe it's referring to Demo's issue, but I figured I'd throw that out there.

Yeah, there is, but if you check the Paizo boards James Jacobs has been saying the final Demonomicon won't cover any demon lord, unfortunately, because he didn't want someone to feel left out. Instead it'll be a sort of "Demon Prince/Queen" roster or something.

Personally, the final one SHOULD have been Graz'zt because Orcus is getting coverage in the Savage Tide AP. Not a full Demonomicon coverage, but his CR 32 stats are in there.

PatCap

Explorer
Ok..here is an odd question, and I know I am resurrecting an old thing, so here is my story

I am running Shackled City, Pathfinder style. I kinda wanna use Graz'zt as a big bad end fight. Any chance anyone could PF him for me? I am not good with these conversions...mainly I guess spells and such. Not too sure where to start...this looks about where I want him, kust wondering what changes you would make?

Thanks,
patman

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, not really to do the whole thing over again, but there's not probably too much to do to convert from 3.5 to PF. It looks to me like the SLAs are (almost) all standard spells, so just use the PF versions. Get rid of the grapple bit and calculate his CMB/CMD as usual. He'll also get more feats (in PF, there is a feat every odd numbered HD), so choose those as seem appropriate from PF sources (3.5 feats are probably usually ok). And if you really want the detail, you'll need to rejigger his skills a bit. But there's probably not a whole lot different.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases