Using Star Was SAGA Rules with D&D 3.5

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
I really like some of the new rules in the Star Wars SAGA edition. The new skill system and the damage threshold rule are especially nice. I would like to introduce these into my D&D 3.5 game, but I'm afraid something will "break."

The damage threshold system will probably be OK, though I imagine it would be a pain to keep track of each goblin's condition status.

The skills worry me a bit, particularly when it comes down to multi-classing. Also, with a reduced skill list, would the rogue need less skill "points" (or, in this case, trained skills).

The bonus to damage with increased levels is nice, but I don't know if it would work in D&D. Would it be included with spell damage too? Probably not.

I'd love to hear what everyone else is thinking.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Well I notice a BIG depower for the rogue as SW SAGA stands. A scoundrel would have to spend ALL of his talents to match the rogue's sneak attack. It would take even more talents to get evasion, uncanny dodge I and uncanny dodge II (this time from the scout's talents lists). So I would leave the rogue with 8 skill points, just to give him something.

As another option, you could simply change some names around, replace tech. with magic, and play a fantasy game using the SW rules.

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
Particle_Man said:
Well I notice a BIG depower for the rogue as SW SAGA stands. A scoundrel would have to spend ALL of his talents to match the rogue's sneak attack. It would take even more talents to get evasion, uncanny dodge I and uncanny dodge II (this time from the scout's talents lists). So I would leave the rogue with 8 skill points, just to give him something.

As another option, you could simply change some names around, replace tech. with magic, and play a fantasy game using the SW rules.

I thought about just switching to d20 Modern using Urban Arcana and the new Star Wars rules. While that would be nice, each member of my new groups owns the 3.5 PHB and not the Star Wars or d20 Modern books.

But I imagine that if someone wants to see the future of D&D, it would be Urban Arcana/Star Wars.

drothgery

First Post
Here's my first take...

Replace vibro weapons with 'empowered' weapons that require a 'magic crystal' to work instead of an energy cell, and make these weapons quite common. Replace blasters with either slugthrowers (for a Renessaince-era feel) or weapons that fire magic bolts (for a 'magitech' feel). For a traditional D&D-style game (most combat is melee range), remove the pistol and rilfe proficiencies from most class starting feat lists and add advanced melee weapons.

very rough conversions of D&D core classes

barbarian, druid, ranger -> scout/soldier multiclass (possibly Force Sensitive)
bard, 'social' rogue -> noble (possibly Force sensitive)
cleric, paladin -> Jedi (you may want to change the Jedi's lightsaber abilities to work with the favored weapon of their faith)
fighter, monk -> soldier
'thief' rogue, 'swashbuckler' rogue -> scoundrel
wizard -> Noble with Force Sensitivity instead of Linguist
sorcerer -> Scout with Force Sensitivity instead of Shake it Off

talents
- the soundrel's slicer and spacer talent trees (and the outlaw tech tree in the web enhancement) are not setting-approriate; you may want to build additional trees to replace tem
- the soldier's demolitionist talent is not setting approriate
- the force pilot talent on the Sense tree is not setting approriate

prestige classes
- remvoe ace pilot
- add multiattack proficiency (advanced melee weapons) and multiattack proficiency (simple weapons) to the Elite Trooper's talents; remove multiattack proficiency (heavy weapons)
- remove gunslinger if firearms are unavailable, or rename the PrC to Master Archer, exchange multiattack proficiency (pistols) for multiattack proficiency (simple weapons), and allow the Trusty Sidearm class feature to work with bows and crossbows
- modify or remove the Jedi and Sith PrCs depending on the mythology of your campaign; if you have a major good faith with a 'dark mirror' major evil faith, tweak as needed, otherwise use Force Adept and Force Disciple as the advanced spellcasting PrCs.

skills
- use computer and pilot obviously are not setting approriate; no classes gain these skills
- the scoundrel gains Climb as a class skill
- the Jedi gains persuasion as a class skill
- the Noble gains mechanics as a class skill
- the uses of treat injury regarding cybernetics and radiation are not setting approriate; performing surgery is magical healing and requires the Force Sensitivity feat

feats
- burst fire, cybernetic surgery and vehicular combat are unavailable
- surgical expertise also has Force Sensitivity as a prerequisite

Last edited:

Asmor

First Post
Do droids become magical golems? :)

Actually, this might work well for a Spelljammer kind of game... Keeping all the rules exactly the same, but changing the window dressing.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
I'm actually considering using SWSE almost as-is with a little modification here and there for a fantasy game this summer. The setting has golems as PCs, which the droid rules will work handily for.

Somebody over at RPG.net has been posting some amazingly fun rules on Final Fantasy using SWSE, definitely worth checking out.

Cheers,
Cam

Thaniel

First Post
Asmor said:
Do droids become magical golems? :)

Actually, this might work well for a Spelljammer kind of game... Keeping all the rules exactly the same, but changing the window dressing.

Why not warforged?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases