rules for ship-to-ship combat and PC's as crew

GlassJaw

Hero
I dug out my old Spelljammer stuff recently and have been toying with some possible campaign ideas loosely based on the setting.

Does anyone have any recommendations for rules on ship-to-ship combat? Since Spelljammer is basically seafaring ships in space, 2D combat will work, and might even be desired for simplicity, but I'd be curious to check out some 3D systems as well.

Also, are there products with rules that handle PC responsbilities if they are acting as crew or on a ship during combat?

Arnwyn

First Post
Some of the sources I use:

- War Captain's Companion (2e Spelljammer) - full rules for tactical hex-based ship combat in space, including in 3 dimensions. What we use today for spelljamming combat.

- Of Ships & the Sea (2e) - rules for sea-faring ship combat. My favorite sea-faring combat system, and still used in our group for our 3e games (with some stuff [skills/feats] from Stormwrack added in)

- Mongoose's OMCS II (Open Mass Combat System II) - found in Mongoose's Seas of Blood as well as their Strongholds & Dynasties book (their original OMCS was found in their old fighter's guidebook). I've found this to be the best mass-combat system for skirmish-size (<100 or so) combats, in which the PCs can take part on their own (ie. taking on "bosses" or tough combatants using the normal combat rules) while OMCS handles the crews at the same time.

Hope that helps with at least a couple of your requirements.

Michael Dean

Explorer
Corsair by Adamant has some really nice ship to ship. It's set in 1600's but you can easily drop the cannons and put ballistae in it.

Airships by Bastion Press is a very nice aerial combat book too.

Airships is good. I used it a couple times (when I could justify it).

Rel also had some darned simple, flexible rules that he adapted from, um, Space 1889? You might email him. I found them very handy.

Angerland

First Post
Have you looked at WotC's Stormwrack? Lots of rules for ship to ship combats as well as deck plans, prestige classes, races, etc....everything from war canoes up to Caravels and tons in between.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Varianor Abroad said:
Airships is good. I used it a couple times (when I could justify it).

Rel also had some darned simple, flexible rules that he adapted from, um, Space 1889? You might email him. I found them very handy.
Seconded, on both counts.

Hassle him. What are mods for anyway.

Dr Simon

Explorer
I recall adapting from Space 1889 myself when running a Spelljammer-esque campaing, but that was via RuneQuest/BRP so it's probably too convoluted to be of much use!

I like the ship-ship combat in the 2nd Ed. Babylon 5 RPG. Okay, so it's SF but it'd be adaptable. It's got more of a tactical feel than typical d20 vehicle combat systems that just apply the personal combat rules with bigger numbers, but doesn't come across as a completely different subsystem.

Edheldur

First Post
GlassJaw said:
I was hunting around and found the Aerial Adventure Guide: Sky Captain's Handbook by Goodman Games:

http://enworld.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=5733&

Anyone familiar with this?
Yup, I got it from RPGNow a while ago. The chapter on ship combat is actually pretty short but simple and definitely does not get bogged down on little details (as opposed to the Vehicle rules that appeared in Dragon Magazine #294). It does mention what the crew members might be able todo while operating a ship. It also has some rules on aerial combat (with mounts instead of vehicles) that are streamlined from the official rules.

Unfortunately I can't tell you how the rules play out since I haven't had the chance to use them.

I have that. It's decent for monsters and some very cool setting ideas. I thought the combat piece was...untested. Airships had more useful stuff showing that the author had played in the milieu (like tethers, for example). Both have their strengths and weaknesses. The Handbook's being it's shortness (as strength and weakness).

One of the biggest problems with air combat in D&D is that all the available rules return to facing. D&D on the ground does not have this.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases